Author Topic: psp slim rumble  (Read 11035 times)

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
psp slim rumble
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »
hey guys. i gutted one of my old cell phones and found that the rumble inside it is really small. if i hook this up to the speakers (direct connect) would this work as rumble? i know it will only work when the volume reaches a certain pitch but i want rumble. also i will be doing the mic mod as soon as i feel up to taking my psp apart (maybe that one little piece of hair i have behind the faceplate will drive me crazy enough to take it apart)

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: psp slim rumble
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:44 AM »
I would also like a better explanation on how to add rumble to the PSP.

Offline K4P741N KRUNCH

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hackin the PSP since day 1!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »
Oh man I feel for you with the hair, sorry bout that dood :P
But you could get another hair stuck in there again :P
A pirates life for me
We won't go quietly!!

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
i know, there is nothing else on the inside of the screen except that one piece of hair, and its in the corner where most of my games are bright so it stands out. hopefully i wont get another piece of hair in it, maybe ill wear gloves.
back on topic, i looked at the psp rumble mod and it made no sense to me.

Offline K4P741N KRUNCH

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »
Generally it's a bad idea to shake the screen you're staring at when you're playing a game. It's a better idea to shake the controller.
When the controller and the screen are one in the same, it's best to have no rumble at all :P
A pirates life for me
We won't go quietly!!

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • dont put marbles in your nose!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »
ok this is simple just follow the tut for the sound reactive leds using the lm 386 amp ic and then where that connects to leds connect to the motor intstead also you can figure out different resistor amounts for the type of sound almost as a filter.  i would only suggest using the amp that way you can have two motors haha plus you can throw some resistors on the motor if its to much voltage so the screen doesnt vibrate to the point you cant see but i doubt it would happen
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:42:59 PM by alexandercyle »

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »
ok man thanks for the info. maybe ill pick up a lm386 today at radio shack. i dont think that vibrating the screen will be that much of a problem because the rumble is about the size of a dime and it isnt really that powerful but its enough to feel it. ill get working on it as soon as i have the money to get a clear case plus the lm386, leds, a tiny switch to switch off the rumble, and a jewel.

Offline K4P741N KRUNCH

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
Sorry all I could picture was the PSP violently thrashing around and giving me a headache :P
A pirates life for me
We won't go quietly!!

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
well it wont. im pretty sure the lcd is pretty well fitted in the psp

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »
well it wont. im pretty sure the lcd is pretty well fitted in the psp

it is but it wasn't designed to work with a rumble. but as alexandercyle said, you can just add some resistors on the motor to lower the there speed. i hope someone pulls this off. even better if you had a speed control fot the motors.  :tup:

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
it is but it wasn't designed to work with a rumble. but as alexandercyle said, you can just add some resistors on the motor to lower the there speed. i hope someone pulls this off. even better if you had a speed control fot the motors.  :tup:
hells yeah plus your hands would absorb the vibration cell phones sound violent on the table but in your hand they dont...if you have some headphones with inline volume control you could use that as a rheostat for the speed control they are small the sell some small variable resistors also that you would just have to mount and then drill a hole for a small screwdriver to adjust the speed

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
or... i could get one of those new boards that are coming out that switch between mods and have them hooked up to resistors so if it is too violent then i just change it to a different resistor using the switching capability the board has. not sure yet but i will figure something out. i have no need for a umd drive because my brother has a psp and if i need to dump a umd ill just use his psp so i will have room to put the rumble in the umd bay. or atleast the one for the right hand, i can put the one for the left hand under the heat sink. ill work it out, i dont even have the lm386 yet and i probably wont for a couple of days because i am working on a desk with my grandpa. one thing that i can tell you is

I will be the first person to have rumble in a psp (slim) that actually feels like rumble

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
You can make a rumble without losing the Umd drive. if you use a rumble from a small mobile phone, say a sony ericsson w880i, you could fit it in the case (still wotking on a locaton to sit it at the mo). there so small but are very powerful.

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
well i dont know about the first one to have it i had it but i took it out cause i need the room for other mods old school pagers have a small one so do razr phones

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
well im not rich i can tell you that, so i cant go buy a razr to just take out the rumble. i have two rumbles that are as thick as two quarters put together and smaller than a dime. i dont really need the umd drive, id rather have mods than a umd drive :) . alex you crushed my dreams :( oh well ill be one of the very few people with it.

Offline K4P741N KRUNCH

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »
I have a Samsung A610 with rumble you can have.
A pirates life for me
We won't go quietly!!

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 10:58:17 PM »
if it is the size of two quarters yet smaller than a dime it would fit under the nub/mc im positive

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 02:46:24 AM »
if you searce for moblie repair parts on the net you can find the motors for phones like the razr or the SE w880i. pretty cheap as well from my understanding.

VoX

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 03:44:32 AM »
Sounds good, I'm going to find some cheap ones or maybe rip some out of some old phones I have

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 04:02:39 AM »
ok this is simple just follow the tut for the sound reactive leds using the lm 386 amp ic and then where that connects to leds connect to the motor intstead also you can figure out different resistor amounts for the type of sound almost as a filter.  i would only suggest using the amp that way you can have two motors haha plus you can throw some resistors on the motor if its to much voltage so the screen doesnt vibrate to the point you cant see but i doubt it would happen

OK all you’re on the right path but your all reinventing the wheel a little. First I’d like to say that if you were planning on hooking a motor to an LM386 directly you would be sad to find that the motor would continuously spin and never stop at all EVER unless you switch to headphones or muted the sound. Second think about what resistors do, they add resistance. So if I hook up an LM386 following the Sound Mod Tut and measured the output voltage from the LM386 (where you would connect the + side of the LED) you would find a Voltage of somewhere near 1.8 Volts when it’s quiet. To stop the motor from spinning (since it doesn’t work like a led with Minimum Operating Voltage) you would need to put enough resistance to KILL ALL VOLTAGE when the sound is minimal. That’s gonna impact your rumble big time. The right way to do this at least the way you probably should do this is with a magnetic reed switch. There is a POC of you do a search Cyber wrote it and I know TimmyDX has released a working POC in our General Forum some time ago so use the search button! Having worked on this with Cyber I have a lot of info and have even created a PSP POC (Now if I could only find parts small enough!!!) If you need help trying to hook this up in the PSP I can tell you how as Timmy’s POC was for the DS but it would be wired the same.

When I get to work I’ll send you the links to the two POCs I talked about and Link you my pictures of the Rumble in the slim.

Edit Here are some Pic's and I forgot to mention that the Slim Rumble Mod needs a 2.5 Volt or 2 Volt break point too but you will learn about that when you find Cybers POC or Timmys POC in the DS but if you remember I posted a topic in the slim section a few Months ago and said something like Guess what this is

Well if you still havent guessed its the 2.5 or 2 volt break point on the slim. Here are some other pictures...

OK its late I gotts to go to work! By for now.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:19:33 AM by l0rdnic0 »

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 04:23:45 AM »
OK all you’re on the right path but your all reinventing the wheel a little. First I’d like to say that if you were planning on hooking a motor to an LM386 directly you would be sad to find that the motor would continuously spin and never stop at all EVER unless you switch to headphones or muted the sound. Second think about what resistors do, they add resistance. So if I hook up an LM386 following the Sound Mod Tut and measured the output voltage from the LM386 (where you would connect the + side of the LED) you would find a Voltage of somewhere near 1.8 Volts when it’s quiet. To stop the motor from spinning (since it doesn’t work like a led with Minimum Operating Voltage) you would need to put enough resistance to KILL ALL VOLTAGE when the sound is minimal. That’s gonna impact your rumble big time. The right way to do this at least the way you probably should do this is with a magnetic reed switch. There is a POC of you do a search Cyber wrote it and I know TimmyDX has released a working POC in our General Forum some time ago so use the search button! Having worked on this with Cyber I have a lot of info and have even created a PSP POC (Now if I could only find parts small enough!!!) If you need help trying to hook this up in the PSP I can tell you how as Timmy’s POC was for the DS but it would be wired the same.

When I get to work I’ll send you the links to the two POCs I talked about and Link you my pictures of the Rumble in the slim.

Nice one dude! i'll have a look when i'm out of work, going to a meeting in a sec so i don't have time to check it out now (all i'm going to do is sit there as are TL tells us the up and coming changes at are work, borning really doesn't cover it, lol)

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 05:47:34 AM »
OH trust me I can relate. Today first thing I had to do was conduct an interview. After this little 30 min break from meetings is over I have an all day status meeting where other people from my department give us their bi weekly updates on systems that I have nothing to do with nor care about.  :fear:

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 06:29:13 AM »
why not beeper youself that some server is in meltdown

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »
You know that if this meeting didn't include people from the same department I would! Well not to break this stride Lets get back on topic. I have to edit my post I found a spelling error.

To add to this topic and what I posted. I found that aside from "Dime Motors" (you should look them up), I have tried motors from those RC cars that Radio Shack sells you know the little ones with home made offset weights and they work well. As they are smaller then pager motors but the offset weights don't compair. :eyebrow:

And now that I have gotten into pic programing we may have a way to use the HIVE to act as an interface between the speaker outputs and the rumble motor, but I'm not going to comment on that atm. In the interm I plan on testing the super small lm386 SO chips that are used on the sound board in the interm along with the small RC car motors and a dime motor, if I could just find a small reed switch that would work. Well I guess I never looked so maybe I should. Something in the surface mount arena would be nice!!!

Please Discuss.

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »
nic0... i created the wheel, so how can i recreate it? :) but yeah i saw your post a while ago that said all you could get was a constant running motor. i was planning on killing all volts by using enough resistors and then they just go up when there is enough sound. maybe i could use a second lm386 to amplify the volts once they come from the first lm386. not sure. but i have small enough rumble. its smaller than a dime and the thickness of two quarters like i said. well hopefully i will get this working sometime this summer.

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »
nic0... i created the wheel, so how can i recreate it?

Srsly what are yout trying to say with this comment???

but yeah i saw your post a while ago that said all you could get was a constant running motor.
:rofl:

When did I ever say that? Did you read my post????? Here go back and re-read it HERE IS A LINK! Sorry if I seem deffensive or arrogant but Cyber and I got it working fine! You just need a REED RELAY and a second 2+volt point. I would be glad to see you put a resistor and or a chain of resisters as you so put it to make it work. PM when you get it working ok.

For everyone else who wants to put rumble in there PSP look HERE in the tutorial section... I will add a diagram of the 2.5 volt point in a bit.

Also Here is TimmyDX's POC video thread

Timmy Thanks for you POC Video hope you don't mind the relink.

Offline SYSTEM aka (Cyberpyrot)

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
Hello all we have been working on rumble for the past two years we did in fact get it working fine but it is a little bulky.. we are working on a new method using the Hive board..

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »
When did I ever say that? Did you read my post????? Here go back and re-read it HERE IS A LINK! Sorry if I seem deffensive or arrogant but Cyber and I got it working fine! You just need a REED RELAY and a second 2+volt point. I would be glad to see you put a resistor and or a chain of resisters as you so put it to make it work. PM when you get it working ok.
tuff day at work???

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
lol ya probably did. anyways i will get this working

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »
I know this is old, and idk if it will help.
But I remember seeing this when I was browsing for rumble information:
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=6846.0

Nemesis: Hyperlink urls by using the button, it makes it easier for other members
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:09:21 PM by Nemesis »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal