Author Topic: The Wii, it is borked.  (Read 3124 times)

Offline TheRivus

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pfft.
The Wii, it is borked.
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:01:06 PM »
Alright, my friend Slayer (TA, he's in the PSP forums often I believe) referenced me to this site... But I'll cut to the chase.

As of about two weeks ago, my Wii has refused to turn on. No lights go on, no whirring sound, nothing. In all respects, it seems as if no one is home.

So I figured I'd get down n' dirty with this corpse, if you know what I mean... I'm currently waiting for a tri-wing screwdriver that's shipping to me from good ol' Hong Kong. Having removed all the non-tri screws the outer shell holds, I am wondering: WHAT went wrong, WHY did it go AWOL, and HOW will I go about fixing it? I'm thinking some sort of AC malfunction, but who knows...

Oh yeah, and before I forget... Pics soon to follow, in case the issue is visible.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:34:59 PM by TheRivus »

Offline pinoyballa

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: The Wii, it is borked.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »
It's probably your AC adapter, happened to my cousins Wii the first day he got it. Call up Nintendo and get a replacement one.

Offline TheRivus

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pfft.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:39:05 AM »
I'm not sure that's the case. See, I tried two AC adapters already, one of them being a slightly modified GCN cord (Perhaps of note: this happened to be the first adapter I used... They are nearly identical aside from the shape of the input, down even to the voltage... I simply modified it slightly so that it could fit).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:51:36 AM by TheRivus »

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »
I'm not sure that's the case. See, I tried two AC adapters already, one of them being a slightly modified GCN cord (Perhaps of note: this happened to be the first adapter I used... They are nearly identical aside from the shape of the input, down even to the voltage... I simply modified it slightly so that it could fit).
hmm, not a good idea.. if the GCN has more voltage you could have fried the mobo, im only saying that cuz i fried my psp mobo for putting 5 volts on it lol,i fixed it tho. might have a tuff time trying to figure out wuts wrong wit it to..
hope you fix it tho

Offline tmandt

• Club AM VIP
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • o.O tOny! JDMKID
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
you shold of called nintendo first before you open anything up

Offline TheRivus

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pfft.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
hmm, not a good idea.. if the GCN has more voltage you could have fried the mobo, im only saying that cuz i fried my psp mobo for putting 5 volts on it lol,i fixed it tho. might have a tuff time trying to figure out wuts wrong wit it to..
hope you fix it tho

But isn't the PSP charger 5v anyway? Odd...

you shold of called nintendo first before you open anything up

Perhaps I should've... but my warranty is long gone anyway, so why not have some fun? All I really care about is the internal memory, which houses all my legitimately bought VC and WiiWare games.

Another possibly related addition: I took my Wii on a trip cross-state in a backpack before it refused to work (I had forgotten my Wii AC adapter, which led to that outlandish idea of using a GCN cable). Maybe it got jolted, and something became loose as a result?  I know Nintendo no longer makes their products out of the legendary Nintendium, they haven't since the Gamecube...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:25:36 PM by TheRivus »

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:16:30 PM »
well the power cord is 5vlt but i put the 5vlt right on the mobo, so it didnt go through the power board or anything
and wut is a Nintendium lol, go ahead and play wit it if ya want but be carefull.. i'll think of the problem ltr, i shall play cod4 now =]

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
All I really care about is the internal memory, which houses all my legitimately bought VC and WiiWare games.
Then don't screw it up more, that's flash memory and you CAN'T replace it, and CAN'T get it out if you screw up your wii. It's on THAT console, and THAT console only.

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:49:53 PM »
Then don't screw it up more, that's flash memory and you CAN'T replace it, and CAN'T get it out if you screw up your wii. It's on THAT console, and THAT console only.
just to agitate you kicks because i know the answer lol but can you take the memory out and put it in another console, or was flash put on the mobo? well if the mobo was ok you could put that in a new console right?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 07:14:01 AM »
No, you can't.

But yes you can put the MOBO in a new console

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »
wheres the flash stored tho, jw?
so even if it was on the mobo it will be destroyed when moving it?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
You don't get it do you?The ONLY way you're getting your memory[vc games,wiiware,etc] to another console is by using the SAME MOBO that it's on. You CAN'T replace the flash memory, or swap it to another console!
It's on the motherboard, it's a flash memory chip. What the hell else did you think? There's only 1 board in there, and what the hell else is flash memory?A chip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal