Author Topic: voltage points on wireless 360 controller  (Read 7448 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
voltage points on wireless 360 controller
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »
i have a new pcb type board wireless controller, im wondering if there is a 2v point? also i know there one point down the middle bottom of the controller and how much does that supply and how much can i use up without affecting the buttons on the controller?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: voltage points on wireless 360 controller
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
Just use any of the Analog voltage spots, they're 1.5v when the controller is on and 0v when the controller is off. This applies to all of the 360 controllers, Wired or Wireless and both versions of each. It's about the best switched voltage spot you can find in the controller to turn on/off a Transistor. Then you can use the battery voltage pretty much direct (Transistor is just a switch) minus the 0.3v or so ya loose thru the Transistor.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:55:16 PM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
If you post a pic I'll show you the 5v point if you would like nemesis...

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »
If you post a pic I'll show you the 5v point if you would like nemesis...
There is no 5v spot in a Wireless controller, best you'll get is 3.2v or so and there are no good regulated spots at all.

It's best to just use a small signal NPN Transistor as a switch and the analog voltage line to turn it on/off. That lets ya turn ground on/off for whatever you're planning to power and then ya get the + for it right from the batteries so ya get the most from them.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »
I could of swore there was but whatever...
what do you mean by regulated...

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:39:32 PM »
A regulated voltage doesn't change value, since the Wireless controller runs on batteries the best source for power is directly from them, and since they're batteries they're always getting lower and lower in value. There are regulated voltages in the controller, but they are lower than the battery value and really of no use for trying to light up any LEDs. As most Blue, White and some Green LEDs need around 3v or so to work (Red and Yellow are around 2.2v~2.7v) the best place to get power from is the batteries directly if ya want to even get them to work half decent. But there you're limited to what they provide power wise, so lighting up a Wireless controller without some external help isn't really the best idea. It can be done, but to the level ya can do a Wired controller where ya can get a nice 5v that's from the 360 it's no comparison, the Wired controller will look better every time.

Some things that can be done if one wants to light up the Wireless controller properly are to use the voltage from the PnC connector. It's 5v from the 360, same as a Wired controller, but your LEDs would only work when it was plugged into the 360 and charging or just left plugged up, essentially turning it into a Wired controller if ya wanted to play it with it lit all up and then they'd go out when it was unplugged.

Another thing is to install a DC-DC converter to get a nice regulated 5v from the batteries and drive the LEDs with that, though it's a bit more complex to do and ya could loose a Rumble motor in the process of installing it because of space restrictions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal