Author Topic: PS Style 360 Controller WIP  (Read 5839 times)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
PS Style 360 Controller WIP
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
Hey all,

This is another controller I've started working on. The board part of it hasn't been started yet and I know it's going to have plenty of issues, plus I'm not quite sure if I want to go Wired or Wireless on it just yet either.

Since I've done quite a few controller alterations, modifications and some would say abominations, I figured I may as well go ahead and cross this one off the list as well. Probably cheese off a few 360 fanboys in the process, but that's OK as just as many PS3 ones will probably like it, so ya see it all balances out and I welcome all types of feedback anyway. ;)

I'm just working on the shell part of this now, haven't even started on the board level part and am not sure if I want to go Wired or Wireless just yet with it anyway, so that's still kind of up in the air and will present many challenges of it's own to get done.

Right now the shell is about as done as I care for it to be, with the exception of adding in a PS3 D-pad like I did on an earlier controller. The reason for that is 2 fold, first I didn't line the original D-pad section back up, so getting the original D-pad to work now is pretty much out of the question and second the PS3 D-pad does fair better IMHO for most game play. There's no reason this can't be done and still retain the original 360 D-pad if ya really wanted too, it just wasn't my intent from the start on this controller anyway.

The thing still needs quite a bit of glazing putty and sanding to get it to where it looks good and then it's going to need a good paint job, but last time I invested all that time and effort into something like this it ended up being flat out ruined by the painter, so the shell will most likely look this way for awhile unless I invest in the tools and learn to do that kind of thing myself or run across a painter that invests in his work as much as I invest in mine.

Enough with the gabbing for now, here's some pics of the process as well as what stage the shell is at right now. Pay no attention to the board that's installed in there, it's only a place holder for the stick so I could get the shell parts all lined up and secured in the right place. This took 2 controller shells to do as well. The D-pad section is from this shell, while the part around the left stick now is from the right stick of another shell. This worked out much better as it's already shaped properly, just needed to be turned a little bit. Doing it all with Bondo and such would have just been way more work than necessary.

Be more when I get more done on it. ;)
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline tmandt

• Club AM VIP
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • o.O tOny! JDMKID
Re: PS Style 360 Controller WIP
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »
damn nice what you use?

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
you did pretty much the opposite of f00f00's newest mod (without moving the abyx buttons) and it looks good...

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:29:50 PM »
damn nice what you use?
If ya mean what's holding it all together it's a Devcon Epoxy called Plastic Welder.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:13:39 AM »
Good job i like it  :tup: It looks pretty much like a PS contoller and thats your goal. Now  do the D-Pad and it will look great  :victory:

you did pretty much the opposite of f00f00's newest mod (without moving the abyx buttons) and it looks good...

Yup its a little like f00's but not really the same at all, he just moved things like f00...

EDIT- one more thing is that you should do a cool paint job on it :P
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:15:42 AM by gotjumbo911 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »
OK, here we go, for starters anyway. I've decided to go Wireless since I have a CG board for it. Thing was supposed to be a custom Halo 3 controller for some arse, hence why you'll see some traces cut that I don't have marked, but after it was all done he decided it would be more fun to stiff me on it instead of paying for it, so it's getting rebuilt and used for this now.

I'm not bothering with punching holes for the LSC, X/Y and ground/voltage lines for the stick as that would just create 10 more holes and a lot more of a mess to rebuild above and below the board than I already have. So far 10 traces on the bottom and 6 on the top will need to be rewired and that's just from the 4 holes for the mounting tabs of the thing, then another 5 wires will need to be run to the stick for it to work and another 5 for the D-pad.

Here's the stick installed, not secured yet as I have plenty to rebuild first.

And here is some of the 'fun' that will have to be rebuilt.

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »
looks like alot of "fun" but if you really want the ps3 style xbox controller I guess it's worth it...

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »
looks like alot of "fun" but if you really want the ps3 style xbox controller I guess it's worth it...
It is, and I don't really want a PS3 style 360 controller. Most likely will never, ever even use it once it's done except to test it and make sure it works. I just like the challenge of it.

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »
It is, and I don't really want a PS3 style 360 controller. Most likely will never, ever even use it once it's done except to test it and make sure it works. I just like the challenge of it.
Can't argue with that logic... I love a challenge too.... :victory:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 02:29:50 PM »
Here's the D-pad all installed and working. As far as the functioning of the controller goes it's pretty much done, the right stick is acting screwy, the dead spot is all touchy so I'm going to swap it out, but as far as working goes it's all done and isn't that bad to use really. It doesn't quite feel like a PS controller and when ya pick it up your left thumb wants to just naturally go to where the left stick was, which is a D-pad now, but all in all it's not that bad. The sticks are actually 1/4" closer to each other than on a PS3 controller, but to just hold it ya can't really tell the difference.

I've used this thing to play quite a few hours of MUA now and messed around in COD4 (weird playing an FPS with it) and am pretty pleased with how it turned out functionally. Now after letting it sit for days on end I finally decided to start in on making it look pretty, which is the part I could care less for really. I have the patience to sit and follow a trace from one end of a circuit board to the other, flipping it from one side to the other 100 times in the process as it zig-zags back and forth between the top and bottom layers, don't even mind tracing out a multi-layer board if I need to, but crap all if I like doing touch up work and prepping anything to be painted, just can't stand it, hats off to those of ya that do and enjoy it. ;)

So far this is in the really early stages, so it sorta looks worse than it did before, even though it's technically better. Just took the Dremel to the really bad spots and then on went the Glazing Putty...

After this will be a LOT of sanding, followed by more putty, more sanding, more putty, more sanding, pretty sure lot of swearing along the way and I have no idea how much time as I have to be in a mood to even want to think of doing this part of the shell, let alone actually do it. I'm still not painting it though, that's going out to be done somewhere, and done right this time, not li

Offline sethion

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Does look really sweet so far and will feel really nice compared to the 360 controls. Thanks for linking me this thread =) ill keep and eye out for when its finished.

Offline Winterz117

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »
hey man i was thinking i would take the 360 d pad out and put in a ps d pad because like it better, how did you do that?

Offline Blacknight94

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »
hey man i was thinking i would take the 360 d pad out and put in a ps d pad because like it better, how did you do that?

Alot of soldering and work? Youd be better off buying this guys controller since he doesnt want it (he just likes a challenge) :P

Offline Winterz117

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
nah i just want the d pad part, and i want it where the origonal d pad would be

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal