Author Topic: Cutting the mobo?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Cutting the mobo?
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »
Has anyone ever cut their DSL mobo in half and soldered wires to connect it together? If so, what would you suggest on connecting it? I need this for a project. I was thinking ribbon cables but I'm not so sure that would work with what I'm doing. Can anyone suggest a way to keep something connected like this, but have it able to move? Like, slide somewhere between 1 and 2 inches away.

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hiding under your bed devouring your dreams..
Re: Cutting the mobo?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 04:28:42 AM »
You are damn serious?It's impossible to connect again all the tracks with wires!
Complex copper boards you know.It's not like an Atari like Benheck has done.

Aricado: Kenshinffx made my sig.
"I made your Avatar too!"
Aricado: Get outta my head!!!!

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:20:17 AM »
So then it's like a multilayer pcb? If it is then...:censored:. If not, I still have a chance for my project ;D

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 03:24:33 PM »
So then it's like a multilayer pcb? If it is then...:censored:. If not, I still have a chance for my project ;D
I don't think it's a multilayer pcb but the problem is soldering.Nothing will stay on nicely as force will always been applied to your wires/ribbon cables from the folding/unfolding of your dsl + it's so many copper tracks you have to connect and I think in the dsl the cpu is in the center like the fat under the slot one.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »
I only need to cut the sides where the buttons are off. Thanks man, I think I'll be fine with the soldering.

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:57:43 AM »
I only need to cut the sides where the buttons are off. Thanks man, I think I'll be fine with the soldering.
Oh that's way better!If you manage to get the soldering I'd tell you to fold the pcb's behind the center piece and make new pcbs that slide/fold whatever they do for the buttons in order to make it easier to make and move without problems and prevent any risk of breaking something.nice concept.Might be possible if get the soldering done.Good luck with it.Don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:45:45 PM »
I have spent over an hour examining  the DS lite motherboard and I can tell you it is multilayer. The DS has the top layer, bottom layer, and a layer in the middle of them.  I have cut a motherboard in to pieces to see if its possible to make a foldable DS and it is possible but would be just about impossible and very much work.  If you were to try it using ribbon cables would be the best way.  Mouser I believe sells them  or just use the DS phat ribbon and connectors. 

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:10:19 AM »
But would I be able to cut the parts off I need to and be able to just solder to a ribbon connector using any old soldering iron? Or would I need some special type of thing because it's multilayer?
By impossible, do you mean because you can't solder the middle layer back together? Or because of something else?
Thanks Rocky, this really complicates things. I don't care how much work I need to do, I just want to know it's possible without like, special equipment or anything.

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »
Well its not impossible but to cut any part of the motherboard it would be close to 50-100 wires you would need to solder.  To get every wire figured out would be a ton of work and I dont think it would be worth the effort.  But if you want to try go ahead.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
I may need to rethink some of my plans, but thanks Rocky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal