Author Topic: pleans help, my fattie needs surgery!  (Read 1049 times)

Offline sledger

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
pleans help, my fattie needs surgery!
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:26 AM »
howdy, mornin, and thanks for reading. im new to moddin, but i think i can quickly get the hang of it. i have a fat and slim psp, but my fattie got run over by a truck and left submerged in a puddle overnight. the back door wont stay shut anymore, wich i can jerry rig easily enough, but the screen seems to be having problems communicating with the unit. the back lighting, which im smart enough to know is the little pig tail, still works, but the screen will not project any images, not even a twitch on startup. ive found a replacement screen for $40 on ebay, but im wondering if it will work, or if i will be sorely disapointed and may as well keep my money. i really want to mod out my fattie, it seems to be a little easier than the slims to work with plus its already seen hell and almost walked out, i was amazed i could get it to start up again and even play music under charger power after some blind trial and error. i want to install some custom leds and a custom umd door, and experiment with some etching ideas i have, but i need a working unit to start with, so if anybody can tell me some testing procedures or maybe just knows what i need to replace/repair, it would be greatly apreciated. and while im thinking about it, where do most people get their parts and tools for the "major surgery mods?" i cant find a low voltage soldering iron. ps, killer website, i really like most of the mods ive seen and hope to create some of my own to someday show off.

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
Re: pleans help, my fattie needs surgery!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:03:15 AM »
hey dude! most people get there parts from ebay, dx, undercutter (not sure why, considering how much they charge) and other place. the name excapes me at the mo. ebay are ok. i've got parts from them before and not had a problem. just check the persons feedback to make sure.

Modding the phat is quite easy depending on what yopu want to do. led trigger mods are easy with pratice. check out the tut's here and you should be ok. the umd door is a little harder but if you want you can get a pre cut door at coolmods. saves you cutting the door yourself.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:30:22 AM »
wow, and I thought my psp has been through a lot. Sounds like your psp is one tough machine. Before you worry about replacing the screen, I'd take the psp apart and make sure the ribbon cable hasn't just came off. You may just have to plug it back to the motherboard. As far as the umd door problem, the clip may have just broken off of the LCD cage. This could also be pretty cheap to replace if you know where to look.

Ebay would be your best bet for psp parts. Just make sure you buy from a credible source.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
It sound like that psp has a backlight fuse blown, bridge that, see if you get a backlight, if not, Your mobo might be like partly fried
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline sledger

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 04:27:42 PM »
ive already attempted to plug the ribbon in miltiple times, the unit is almost completely dismantled, the little ribbon for the backlight still works, but the fat ribbon gives no response, wich is what would lead me to belive it was the screen itself. i was however unaware that the unit had a fuse, where is it located and is it replaceable, or maybe bridgable? and i did have another idea, are the screens for the fat and the slim the same? if so i can take the screen out of the slim and use it for diagnostic purposes, but if not im not gonna tear into my slim just yet, still under warranty. thank everyone for your help, i friggin love this website!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal