Author Topic: a good buy?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline mav3r1ck

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • snoochy boochy's!
a good buy?
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:53:20 AM »
i have an offer for a 360, but i dunno if i can trust how honest the guy is being with me about how he got it, its at a good deal so im probably gonna get it either way, but i want to know, if the thing is stolen and i hook it up to live, can they detect the serial number like that? is it needed to register on live? what else should i suspect?

also, i read elsewhere (thanks to google  :tup:) that i should try to contact customer service with the serial number and verify its not solen, can they do that or is that just someone running there mouthnot knowing what there talking about?
"believe nothing. no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Offline Ack Like You Know

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: a good buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:54:50 AM »
All they can do is check the serial number for you to see if it was registered to someone else previously. If that someone who may have gotten it stolen from them had the wherewithall to call M$ and tell them it was stolen, then they'd know. But if they never registered @ xbox.com, it's unlikely they had the serial number and manuf. date written down somewhere.

Offline bill16504

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:40:54 AM »
You also want to make sure it's not a banned console. Being banned and being refurbished are a couple reasons for people unloading consoles cheap.

Offline KyleP

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »
yeh call them how much is he offering you for it and if its his make him play with you on xbox live

Offline mav3r1ck

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • snoochy boochy's!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 02:46:04 AM »
 i dont currently have live nor know someone that does, or even anyone with highspeed  internet access (go figure that one...) so playing them online is out of the question.

its 200 for an elite system too, quite tempting, and if it goes rrod, then its a fairly similar if not exactly the same to fix it with the xclamp mod right?

so even if for example they stole it off the back of a truck or something they couldnt track it with the serial number?

i think the better question is: is there anything that would raise a flag to live service that the system is illegal aside from having massive hardware mods/ software mods? im just wanting to make sure i dont have a banned account for the most part
"believe nothing. no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Offline KyleP

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
 well if you dont have internet and its not hooked up to the internet they cant scan it or bann your account so you pretty much dont have alot to worry about

Offline mav3r1ck

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • snoochy boochy's!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:13:40 PM »
i think im making this a bit overly complicated, heres the run down.

i want to get on xbox live if i get this console, i have internet, but i dont want to have to get xbox live prior to getting the system and then be stuck with a useless account.

and like i said i cant use anyone elses account because well, i dunno anyone else that has live nor a broadband access.

so, is there anything that would raise a flag to live service that the system is illegal aside from having massive hardware mods/ software mods?

Buddha

Offline KyleP

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 03:16:16 PM »
tell him to give you serial bottom line and call xbox

illusionistpro

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:57:06 PM »
If you cant help but get it now, id request a trial and take it for a spin, borrow a friends hd and try out and see if it runs live.  Also play it for a little while and make sure it doesnt rrod.  and if you care if its stolen or not do call ms and see what they have to say about it.  OoO another thing i just thought about before you do anything, simply pop off the faceplate and look for the microsoft tamperproof sticker.  Theyre easy to get around, if youre planning on modding and screwing up that you need to send it back to MS for repair but most modders just rip it off.  im one of them  :tup:  dont forget, simply as the guy why he's selling it.  If he had 4 controllers and is selling the system with one controller...would only lead me to believe the system is junk cause he's got another system coming in. 

However, contrary to that advice i reccomend you wait.  http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkEZAEpFFuSbDBNkso.php Thats why.  I really do think MS is price dropping, this fall.  So for waiting a few months you get a newer motherboard, newer drive, better heatsinks, HDMI and a white case. 

Offline mav3r1ck

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • snoochy boochy's!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »
still not getting it guys, i just need to know if live has a way of detecting if its stolen or something, thats all. thanks for all the input though i appreciate it all, im glad to see so much help!

Buddha

Offline bill16504

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 08:53:46 PM »
still not getting it guys, i just need to know if live has a way of detecting if its stolen or something, thats all. thanks for all the input though i appreciate it all, im glad to see so much help!

No. They can't detect if it's stolen.

illusionistpro

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
I think the socially responsible thing to do it check that its not stolen, not check they cant detect its not stolen.  Buying stolen goods screws us all.  Do the right thing and dont buy stolen goods.  (besides, its illegal)

Offline KyleP

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 11:55:48 PM »
the new xbox is coming in 2010 they said

Offline bill16504

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 06:52:53 AM »
the new xbox is coming in 2010 they said

There's a lot of different rumors floating around. Honestly, 5 years seems like a short life span for a console. Look at the PS2. It's still hanging in there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal