Author Topic: What kind of LEDs?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline dokikun

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
What kind of LEDs?
« on: August 10, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »
I recently purchased a PulseVU chip and I want to put about 8 - 10 LED's in my DSL not under buttons just around the underside of the motherboard and a few on the top of the top screen area. But I was wondering if I could just use the 3mm LED's from radio shack or do I have to get the 0603 LED's? Also do I have to use a resistor with 10 LED's, and can I hook em all up to one power source on the board or do I have to split up the sources (if so which would be the best sources to use?). I have alot of questions regarding the LED im not worried about anything else, I want them to shine brightly but i just need to know where to get the power how much and what kind of LED's to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
Re: What kind of LEDs?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 05:52:51 PM »
3 mm probably wont work out so good.

Get 603 SMD Leds.

About the power stuff idk cause i dont know about ds lite battery.

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »
the backlight uses 30v (hint hint, thats perfect for the number of leds youre using)
not sure if it would prevent you from using the higher brightness levels though
i dont think it should because you arent using resistors in that circuit, but just something to check before you put it all together

Offline dokikun

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I just ordered a pack of 10 0603 SMD's bright blue. Anyone able to point me to the back light source on the mobo or any way i can hook up 10 SMD's to multiple power sources and how I would go about finding out what resistor I would need (if any). Thx!

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
ive got a pic made for ya
ill upload and post in a minute

Offline dokikun

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:57:55 PM »
ive got a pic made for ya
ill upload and post in a minute

Thanks!  :hifive:

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »

now remember, this is 30v so be careful and dont short anything

also, soldering to those dots is not for the faint of heart XP none of that was in the least bit fun
it says its Top Screen bypass, all this means is that putting a load on those points will also allow you to run your DS with only the bottom screen attatched, but for your uses, it can be ignored

dont forget to glue those wires down =]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:21:46 AM by psppunk »

Offline dokikun

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:25:37 AM »
http://n-mod.com/mods/DSL/layoutdsl/front/1a.JPG
now remember, this is 30v so be careful and dont short anything

also, soldering to those dots is not for the faint of heart XP none of that was in the least bit fun
it says its Top Screen bypass, all this means is that putting a load on those points will also allow you to run your DS with only the bottom screen attatched, but for your uses, it can be ignored

dont forget to glue those wires down =]

Thanks a million,  a few questions though. Which one of these should I solder to, also I am planning on using 10 0603 LED's is there any other good contacts to solder to (with less voltage), even if it means splitting up the power sources, because im a little worried working with 30v. Another thing, would you happen to know which points on the ds jump from 0v (when off) to 3v - 5v when on (I need this info for the PulseVu)? Is there anyway to calculate exactly how much power 10 0603 LED's will require to perform at peak brightness (what resistor should I use)? Sorry I have so many questions.

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »
omg, im sorry, i didnt even post my pic XP... i edited the post, its correct now
well for 10 of them the 30v point is perfect for max brightness (not for red though,), you might need a resistor, im not quite sure of the value
as for the 3v-5v point, the power LED should work, but you must remember that if you use wifi, it will flash off and on
there might be another point but im not sure of its whereabouts

since you are using pulseVU check out this topic
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=20937.0
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:38:48 AM by psppunk »

Offline dokikun

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »
omg, im sorry, i didnt even post my pic XP... i edited the post, its correct now
well for 10 of them the 30v point is perfect for max brightness (not for red though,), you might need a resistor, im not quite sure of the value
as for the 3v-5v point, the power LED should work, but you must remember that if you use wifi, it will flash off and on
there might be another point but im not sure of its whereabouts

since you are using pulseVU check out this topic
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=20937.0

Awesome, so this 30v point would be perfect for 10 0603 blue led's? Also which of those points is + and -, or are they both + and I have to use a different ground?

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
i havnt checked the polarity on them, if it doesnt work one way try the other
thats what i did

Offline dokikun

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »
i havnt checked the polarity on them, if it doesnt work one way try the other
thats what i did

So one of the wires in your photo is indeed a ground, you just aren't sure which one?

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
dude, that needs some skill (Its easy for somebody with +3 months soldering skill)
And you would need resistors to correct the voltage output

And I do NOT recomend that spot
You need to make sure everything is perfect in the process (could even ruin a mobo once powered)

If maybe the leds came of that spot that could ruin a screen or all your leds

Also, the pic your showing, The solder is on another trace If you burned It a bit and those to traces connected...bad things
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
yeah, its difficult, solder to what i did and dont mess up and there is no problem

apparently 7 leds with a capacitor and no resistor works just fine, so no, you dont need any resistors

there is a solder bead on another dot, that is correct, but that dot isnt connected to the wires
when i was soldering that i was shaking like my friends grandmother....
adrenaline pumping, alot...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:22:26 AM by psppunk »

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
yeah, its difficult, solder to what i did and dont mess up and there is no problem

apparently 7 leds with a capacitor and no resistor works just fine, so no, you dont need any resistors

there is a solder bead on another dot, that is correct, but that dot isnt connected to the wires
when i was soldering that i was shaking like my friends grandmother....
adrenaline pumping, alot...
each led is diffrent his might not need as many volts or might take all and touch screen wont work
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 10:02:59 PM »
the top screen backlight has nothing to do with the touchscreen, at all

Offline dokikun

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:31 AM »
I think instead of putting 10 ill do 6, and power them with the 3.3v and 5v source near the start and select button. Any idea on how I should divide them up?

Offline Josho

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 04:37:06 AM »
Woah guys! Running it off the screen voltage?  :nono: Nononononono.

Think about it, he DS battery is 3.3V (or thereabouts) that means that in needs an inverter to up the voltage. When it's first turned on it's probably way over 30V! And you are putting strain on the inverter.

To be safe you'd need to use a capacitor and at least one resistor.

Would not reccomend that at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal