Author Topic: Help On Parallel Mem.  (Read 1770 times)

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Help On Parallel Mem.
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can help me by explaining the process of completing this mod. I've read the thread and it appears that both everlasting_will and gr8npwrfl completed this mod, and was wondering how everlasting_will completed his way because gr8npwrfl method sounded quite complicated. I had sent everlasting_will an message, but I never got a reply. I was also wondering if I had wired the VCC pin of both mem. sticks and motherboard to a switch, will I be able to switch between both inserted memory sticks by using the switch and resetting the psp? If I could switch between both inserted memory sticks by using the switch and resetting the psp, would this cause any read/write problems for the psp since both sticks are inserted even though only one is powered?

thanks in advance for any help  :w00t:

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
Re: Help On Parallel Mem.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:33:24 AM »
Will never got his running. He had to shut the unit off to get it to recognize the new card.

The two cards could never be seen at the same time.

I was working on it and then the dual sdhc adapter was anounced where the two cards
were added to each other and became one larger card.

We then both stopped working on it.

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »
thanks for the reply gr8npwrfl. Even though both cards couldn't run at once; I would still do this mod if I can switch between the cards freely that are inserted into the psp. Like first the psp would have 2gb of memory, then move switch and reset psp, then have 4gb of memory. If you don't mind me asking, do you know how to complete this?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:04:03 AM »
Yes I do know how to do it, it just was not worth all the work required. That is why I stopped. Will ended up with
like 10 chips to make his start to work. No way to get them all inside the PSP.

Mine was only one chip, but it was a programmable gate array and you would have to get the software
and programmer to make one.

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »
You mean like PICs ? I was looking into that but never found a flat tutorial on how it all works and how much it cost. Thanks for the info though ><

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »
The oposite end of engineering. Using a CPLD, a Computer programed logic device.

All hardware about 2 million transistors. You program them to be any hardware logic you
want to design. They are used as building blocks to build full computers out of.

Where everlasting_will was using all separate chips, I was going to design and build
all those chips inside one bigger programmable one.

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »
Thanks for all the help gr8npwrfl.  :tup: I guess I'm going to look into that since I do look forward to an engineering career.

Offline everlasting_will

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • BEPSP
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »
HI pwarsknightsp,
sorry man i am just to busy studying for exams.
As gr8 said the main differences between his way and mine is that where he was using a cpld i was using chips with multiple analog switches.
I released the tutorial where i was using two switches, but then i was able to made it just with one (for switching the "output enables" of the chips).
I already have a design for three memories sticks plus one microsd using four chips (the same number of chips as the two sticks version) that will fit inside the psp (without removing the umd drive) and that will be controlled with an MCU (probably atmel). But i don't know if i will release a tutorial due to i understand this kind of project is not very interesting anymore.
I was thinking about checking the possibility of a psp recognizing both memories at the same time but i already have so many designs (around 5) that i have to make (welding, etc) but so few time that i am not sure if i will try it, also i'm not sure if it worthes the effort (almost sure it doesn't but would be cool).
Hope to have been of some help.
First Be then PSP !!

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:47:05 AM »
Thanks for the information, it would be cool if you could release a tutorial but time is always against everybody  :yess: . I'll look into the first tutorial, the one with two switches, cause I'm planning to do the internal sdhc card mod, but I also want the ability to read from my other memory stick duos. Thanks for all the help tho  :tup:

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
Ya if you want to have Pro Duo's too just turn off the psp and put in the pro duo and it works then u want to use the SD turn off the psp and put in the SD and it works.

But it cant be read at the same time combining memory...

Offline everlasting_will

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • BEPSP
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 04:16:08 AM »
Ya if you want to have Pro Duo's too just turn off the psp and put in the pro duo and it works then u want to use the SD turn off the psp and put in the SD and it works.

But it cant be read at the same time combining memory...

Well it depends on the way you do the mod. If you do it my way (with analog switches), those analog switches and the former two switches (currently one) prevent from having to reset and insert/removal of the sticks. But you are right that doesn't mean it is combining the memory. If you do it the gr8npwrfl way ( you better ask him) i think it isn't either combining memory just the same, two or more sticks inserted and swap them with a switch or with an MCU.
But in both cases adding either a CPLD or analog switches prevent from having to remove the memories. Search parallel memory on youtube.
First Be then PSP !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal