Author Topic: Advice on Painting DS Lite  (Read 3247 times)

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Advice on Painting DS Lite
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:38:53 PM »
OK so I'm going to buy a new DS Lite, and I know how to take it apart and what to be aware of. But I don't like any of the standard colors available in the U.S... so I got a few questions to ask.

What is the best way to paint the parts of the DS (after taking it apart, obviously)
 - airbrushing?
 - spray painting?
 - other?

Before you answer, here are some things rattling around in my head.
 - I'm interested in solid-color only. No logos or stencils.
 - ease of operation. how easy is airbrushing OR how easy is spray painting (from a can)
     + what's the difference between single and double action airbrushes
 - cost. how much is a full airbrushing kit? how much is the paint?
 - materials. what sort of paint should I use? where can I get it? (note: i'm in the U.S.).
     + should i get paint A and paint B to make paint C? or should i just get something close to paint C?
     + how important is clear-coat?
     + how many coats should I do?
 - method. what's the best way to paint?
     + form, distance, etc.
     + how long do i wait between coats?
 - surfaces. do i need different paint for the buttons, or will the paint for the case work just as well?
 - finish. how will the paint hold up to mild usage? change in temperature? humidity and sweat?

I've never done this before and I'm a complete n00b in every sense of the word. The only reason I know to ask these questions is cause I liked watching those custom car building shows on tv and they usually showed the custom painting. I've also looked around these forums a little bit.

Right now I'm looking at Paasche Airbrushes. They seem expensive although they're cheaper on eBay. Is this a good idea? bad? alternatives?

Thanks.
Kamelot Forever

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
Re: Advice on Painting DS Lite
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »
you could order ghost shells if they have the color you like.  They don't have logos or anything like that

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Advice on Painting DS Lite
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
That's true. And I did (actually it was clear lol). I really did like the clear-ness but the case did not feel as good as the Nintendo OEM case and it did not fit together quite as well. Also the color I have in mind is two-tone (alpine-green and black) so I'd have to get a black case as well as an alpine case. And I haven't found a teal green case so I'd have to paint 1/2 the parts anyway.

So, yeah. I was hoping someone could give advice on spraypainting/airbrushing. I *guess* I could settle for a OEM lime case but UGH it looks disgusting to me.
Kamelot Forever

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal