Author Topic: New to opening my psp, anything I should know?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline mythus

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
New to opening my psp, anything I should know?
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:54:33 AM »
Hey, first timer here.  I recently ordered from dealextreme a white case housing to replace for a psp slim silver I recently ordered from ebay.  Is there any dedicated tuts i should follow? Anything I should be aware of or difficult task to concentrate on?  I've been studying some guides around teh google and I've done some ps2 and xbox 360 controller modding in the past, will I have much troubles?  Any link to pictured guides will be appreciated =P.

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: New to opening my psp, anything I should know?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:23:59 AM »
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=13475.0 PSP Slim & Lite Disassembly Tutorial (Recommended)
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=18858.0 Clear Case Replacement Tutorial(would be the same for the white I would assume)
There's 2 tuts.
I personally haven't done a case swap yet(only done it on the phat), although I plan too. You should be fine, it's not to difficult just be careful.. and use the correct tools. Most info is included in the tut, but if you want to be sure you could look around on here for some tips. Good luck.

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Raining Blood! From A Lacerated Sky!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:21:44 AM »
if you want assured peace of mind, wear an anti static foot or handstrap.

Be very careful when first undoing screws, especially on the outside. Dont let the screwdriver slip or youll strip the heads of the screws.

When prying the LCD, be very careful as if you put too much effort into it, you can bend the LCD cage.

These things arent easily done, you'll get the feel for how much force is needed when you start.

Quote from: ≤Ʀαωгу≥
you know who i would bone? daffy duck

Offline LeadBaron

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:40:55 AM »
Just a thought....Why didn't you just order a white PSP?

Offline mythus

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
Just a thought....Why didn't you just order a white PSP?
I was looking for a cheap fix on getting a psp slim.  I got this one for 56$ after live.com cashback on ebay.  I knew it would be scratched, and I'm quite sensitive about it.  So that's why i thought a 20$ housing + cheap slim would be a better option for me.

Btw thanks a lot guys, I will review those guides and make sure i have the proper equipment to "operate".

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »
You'll be unhappy with the quality of a $20 Case, if you want quality, you can get OEM housings in some places.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline Thane

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »
just be really careful on what you're doing and you'll do good. just in case if you think you cant remember where all those things go, take a picture before taking a part off. especially the metal shieldings. :yess: also, try to dissassemble it in a very clean place with minimal dust as the inside of the casing's screen can easily be scratched when you wanna wipe off the dust. yeah i know, i thought it was impossible to scratch plastic with a piece of cloth. man, i was wrong. haha. also, dust inside the screen is ugly. but if you're gonna mod it n not just open, slop a new casing n close, i dont think dust will be much issue here.
other than that, nothing much to worry about. just focus on what you're doing. i've reassembled my psp once while on the phone (headset mind you), and it wont turn on. after taking it apart n putting them back orderly then it started back. =] until now, i never knew what did i did wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal