Author Topic: Hard Drive to SSD  (Read 2120 times)

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
Hard Drive to SSD
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:37:34 AM »
i'm starting to consider the switch on my macbook pro...i know how to replace it myself (i've opened it myself..shh!)

anyway, i know the cost so it would likely be a 128GB 'holiday season' gift

but one thing important to me is preserving my very good status quo on my current drive: 100GB OSX, some gui custimizations etc.
and vista (roughly) 50GB

i know how to reisnstate OSX no problem, but how would i do so with windows? i havent used the backupceneter, but i can, as i have 2 spare external drives...
if i did backup windows entirely, would it literally reinstall EVERYTHING!? including, say, all my games, etc?

and aside from that.. .should i even go to SSD? thoughts, comments welcome...

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
Re: Hard Drive to SSD
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:17:47 AM »
I don't personally think it's worth it, mostly because a quality 128gb SS drive is 400 bucks. 

I'd rather have a 500gb internal amongst other things.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:22:59 AM »
well for mobility purposes i'm scared of the hard drive, you know what happens when that platter gets scratched by the head....

and apple charges a s**tload for replacing it if my computer falls, just like they charge you for anything else (walking into the store, touching an ipod, looking at accessories, bringing in a computer that was not user damaged..i..hate them.....so...so..much)

EDIT: well the only ones i can find are about $400 and are MLC...SLC is much better...someone made the comparison between the two as (6months vs. 53 years)
as the write abiltiy of flash wears out, slc lasts much longer... i found an 128GB SLC that looked much better, but it cost as much as my computer..

i guess no upgrade for me....maybe faster drive...though i want to secure my data and make sure everything would be restored..
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:24:43 AM by noah03ark »

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
You could look for one of the drives with a built in G-sensor that stops the drive when it feels itself falling

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »
that sounds good...

i did find a drive one newegg that got 5/5 w/7 reviews, 3.0Gb/s, 7200RPM 250GB and looks promising, plus i have enough for it right now...i just need to know how to restore vista as if i never swapped the drive...

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:13:09 PM »
the apple installed drives have that - thats how mac sabre works it uses the senseors in the drive

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Raining Blood! From A Lacerated Sky!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
are there portable 2.5" 10,000 RPM drives yet?

Quote from: ≤Ʀαωгу≥
you know who i would bone? daffy duck

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »
yes, but the only ones i have seen are rather low capacity and are very expensive...

IM checking out some WD notebook drives that sound boss, but when i look for hte model number that has the freefall sensor i cant find it... newegg only has those without it..though this drive, the scorpio black, has some neat sounding stuff:
Desktop-class performance for notebook computers - With 7200 RPM spin speed, 16 MB cache, and capacities up to 320 GB, these drives enable you to have the best of both worlds: the capacity and performance of a desktop PC with the convenience and portability of a notebook.

Massive capacity - WD's 320 GB 2.5-inch drives offer huge capacity for space-hungry operating systems like Windows Vista®, with plenty of room left over for photos, music, and video.

Low power consumption - With technologies like IntelliSeek™, which calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption [View demo] and SecurePark™, which reduces power by parking the heads during low power idle mode, this drive delivers 5400 RPM-equivalent power consumption in a 7200 RPM drive [View demo].

Quiet - In a notebook drive, silence is golden. WD's exclusive WhisperDrive™ combines state-of-the-art seeking algorithms to yield one of the quietest 2.5-inch hard drives on the market.

Reliable and rugged
WD's ShockGuard™ technology protects the drive mechanics and platter surfaces from shocks during shipping and handling and in daily operation.
WD's SecurePark parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface resulting in improved long term reliability due to less head wear and improved shock tolerance.

Free-fall sensor - As an added layer of protection, if the drive (or the system it's in) is dropped while in use, WD's free-fall sensor detects that the drive is falling and, in less than 200 milliseconds, parks the head to help prevent damage and data loss.

the problem is when i select the model with the sensor... it says nothing about price or stock.. there;s not buy button like with the model w/o...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:05:14 PM by noah03ark »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 04:09:10 PM »
Noah, Listen!

The MacBook Pro Has The sensors already in place, as Rob said, thats how things such as MacSabre and other motion sensitive apps work!
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
i got that and im fine with that... i just found a nice WD drive that has some neat stuff ^ i posted it up there and i think im gona get it... theonly problem being i have to reinstall my OS's
i can do mac osx fine, just format the drive from my disk, install, and restore from my time machine backup...

but vista: can someone explain that? i dont use it enough to know/care (as i dont normally do this, and this is my first install, major vista use)

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »
you can use winclone
http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/
and there's carbon copy cloner too.
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Try one of those. One of them should work. I never tried it so I don't know.

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »
I Used this and the tutorial to switch my brothers HD to a bigger and faster one and i can say it works awesome, the free version is all u need.
XXClone

http://www.xxclone.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal