Author Topic: PSP Wifi Intena and some questions about the wifi hardware.  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
PSP Wifi Intena and some questions about the wifi hardware.
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »
Okay I want to do a mod that has an antena connected to my psp that is hooked up to the wifi wire to get better wifi signal, I need some understanding about the wifi hardware, I have psp 1001 model and the wire leads from the chip in the left bottom to the middle right with a weird bulb at the end and is also connected to a gold foil like thing, what is that all about? Can I do this mod? Or is this imossible?

EDIT - Here are some pictures

*edit
Does anyone know what kind of antenna to use? I want something that is like 2 to 3 inches tall and possible able to condense to something smaller and is thinner then a pen or pencil about a half or a third the width of a pencil, can anyone help me?

Kicks: Don't double post, it's against the rules

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Re: PSP Wifi Intena and some questions about the wifi hardware.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
the silver bulb is just a blob of solder. The wire and the gold foil are the wifi antenna. This is possible because I saw a guy on youtube do it. He simply took the antenna and the connector out of a wireless router and connected the black wire to it instead of the gold foil piece.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
The connector on the wifi card is a U.FL, you can use a U.fl adapter pigtail or directly connect a U.fl antenna. Those are the two easyist ways.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
The connector on the wifi card is a U.FL, you can use a U.fl adapter pigtail or directly connect a U.fl antenna. Those are the two easyist ways.

I searched on google for u.fl antenna but all I got was some Dell ones, can you help me find one? I also need to find an old fm radio antenna the silver kind that could collapse all the way, Thanks!

I found a U.fl adapter pigtail for 12$ bucks. http://getmorewifi.com/19-45cm-U.FL-MiniPCI-to-RPSMA/M/B000KPW0KS.htm?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle but the end is way to big, is there any way to get one smaller?

Here's another question, if I switched for another wifi cable thing, will I get better performence? I found the site where that guy posted where he hooked up his router's wifi antenna to his psp and he got 10% increase and no drops, when he was testing the old origional wifi antenna just dropped connectivity all the time. If replacing the switch is not worth it then can I cut the gold part untill I only have that little transparent line that the wire is connected to? Or is the whole gold foil like piece the antenna? Thanks!

EDIT - Is it possible to take a wifi antenna from my linksys router and use it with my psp?

Here is the router I have - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGIRywLd0wo Does anyone know if I can use this one?

Offline DumpsterDiver

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:27:31 AM »
Linksys routers have disconnecting antennas, not wires. The wires inside are soldered. So you would need the pigtail to solder on with the wire, and then yes, you could use it. I found the pigtails on 4 inch wires for about 3 bucks a while back, but lost the link during a format. I did a wifi antenna mod using a D-Link gaming router antenna. It was connected with the U.FL connector inside, so it was a matter of wire hole, and mount, so it was simple. Click this to see my antenna mod.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:29:07 AM by DumpsterDiver »

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:10:54 AM »
Linksys routers have disconnecting antennas, not wires. The wires inside are soldered. So you would need the pigtail to solder on with the wire, and then yes, you could use it. I found the pigtails on 4 inch wires for about 3 bucks a while back, but lost the link during a format. I did a wifi antenna mod using a D-Link gaming router antenna. It was connected with the U.FL connector inside, so it was a matter of wire hole, and mount, so it was simple. Click this to see my antenna mod.

Can you help me find an antenna with the u.fl wire attached? I can't find one anywhere.

Hey would this work? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9307

Hey would this work? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9307

Could I use the antenna off of this and use it with this? - http://www.wifi-link.com/product.php?action=product&class1_id=227&class2_id=356&class3_id=359&product_id=854

GhoSt_Death: Please do not tripple post, use the moddify button. Please hyperlink your URL's using the button next time :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal