Author Topic: Is my screen broken?  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Curoudo Sutaraifu

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Is my screen broken?
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »
hey guys i just finished bridging a fuse to get my psp working again. i also added custom firmware(4.01 m33-2). i had to make a pandora battery with a switch for that. i also added the usb charge mod, and sound reactive triggers. now this was the very first time i've ever touched the innards a psp so now my triggers don't react anymore unless i press harder. i assume this is the hot glue on the leds of the buttons preventing its movement. are there any other possible reasons for this? also please take a look at my lcd and tell me if i have damaged my screen/ribbon cables or if have damaged my motherboard. because i did break off the tab which locks the smaller ribbon of the lcd in(is this cable the backlight cable or something?). although i keep that cable in place with electrical tape now.

here it is on boot up

this is when it's on the homescreen

the white, blue and pink split on the screen

thanks for helping me out guys!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:52:09 PM by Curoudo Sutaraifu »

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: Is my screen broken?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »
hmm, that's weird... Try a new lcd. It shouldn't be your mobo if all you damaged was the little tab, and not the actual connector. If a new lcd doesn't work, I dunno what to tell ya.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »
yea, that's what i'm planning to do, just buy a lcd from dx and see what happens. but what if it doesn't work? then i'll have an extra lcd lying around. i want to see if anyone else has ever had this problem or knows exactly what's wrong with this. thanks for your suggestion by the way bustinthejustin.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
yea, that's what i'm planning to do, just buy a lcd from dx and see what happens. but what if it doesn't work? then i'll have an extra lcd lying around. i want to see if anyone else has ever had this problem or knows exactly what's wrong with this. thanks for your suggestion by the way bustinthejustin.

Np. But to be honest, I wouldn't buy a new lcd from dx, as they aren't oem, and I heard quality isn't great, and shipping is really slow. If you were actually planning to buy one, I'd get it from ebay from a respected seller. I do think it's your lcd connector/the lcd itself, because there seems to be a problem with your rgb balance or something. Oh and extra parts are always good. You never know when you'll need one, and if you're tight on money, you can always resell it to any of our members here on Acidmods.

Offline Cookie Monster

• I SMELL SOMETHING
  • CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • GIMMIE COOKIE
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 02:13:24 AM »
i know whats wrong that happened to me the ribbon on the screen is snapped or broken somewhere. hope this helps!!

thanks toad and indy for the sigglys

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:14:01 AM »
Maybe its you zif (zero insertion force ) that maybe broke or is having a bad connection with you screen and whats wrong whit your leds is that they maybe  got unsolderd
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:20:49 AM by LaCozTe-2028 »

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 07:57:38 AM »
i know whats wrong that happened to me the ribbon on the screen is snapped or broken somewhere. hope this helps!!

Yes, this may be the problem, also. Either way, I'm pretty sure that buying a new screen will fix your problem.

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:28:28 PM »
ok, looks like i will be buying a new screen then, thanks guys! are there any specific sellers which you guys recommend?
LaCozTe-2028, there's nothing wrong with my trigger leds, i'm just saying that the triggers don't respond as easily anymore and i think it's because the hot glue is in the way.

Offline Chi-kitory

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Nes Warlord
    • Emuwizards
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
wow, that looks cool, something like this happened to my DS screen, i had to replace it, then it worked! So replacing the screen seems to be the best option

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »
thanks chi-kitory
so does anyone have any recommended sellers for me?

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
try the screen in someones elses psp, or buy a busted one for like 50 and try it. if the screen works, then its a zif connector, or mobo problem
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline el_shorty

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 07:19:49 AM »
I get some my psp replacement parts from this guys and I've never had a problem, I usually get everything two to four days after ordering with free shipping.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/YallGame_lcd-psp_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZYallGameQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ812852981QQsofpZ0

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 10:12:04 PM »
thanks for the sellers, i'll look into them tomorrow and buy one. then i'll install it and let you guys know what happens.
psphax0r, i don't know anybody else with a psp phat sadly, and i'd rather just buy a screen for $40 instead of buying a broken psp to test the screen on. because if i just install the screen on my psp, and it still doesn't work, then i know it's my motherboard. and if it does work, it's my old screen. this way i'm not spending $90(broken psp $50 + new screen $40) and just $40 for the same test and results. thanks for your suggestion though.

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:36 AM »
I got 4 screens all working 3 fat one slim but i have never sold anything online nore shipped so yeah

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
Dude... That was basically just to brag. That's like me saying "hey man I got like, 50 psps all perfectly working, all with screens in them and all. Sorry I can't give/sell any to you though. I'm just telling you cause I feel like it."

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
ah dude that stinks. id say  its the mobo cause you still see things on the screen. if you want to, you can send it to me and tell you if its mobo or screen. ill put it on my phat, if it gives me a problem, its screen. if not, its mobo
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
No offence man, but you're still pretty new on this forum... I wouldn't send my things to you.

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 09:00:53 PM »
haha yea lacozte-2028 i see you post all over the place and hardly ever helping (SPAM)
thanks psphax0r but this is actually my little cousin's psp if it were mine i'd think about it but it's his and i can't risk having anything happen to it. i don't actually own a psp so this is my first one i've worked with (broken to begin with) and i don't want anything to make the situation worse, such as losing the psp or letting someone else damage it.

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »
hey if your still having issues, i was having the problem on one of my Phats. Try just cleaning off the ribbon contacts with some kind of cleaner (i used a very scarce amount of windex) and then get a fresh paper towel and wipe it off again. Then when reinsterting it into the connector use your fingernail and lightly push in the middle and outside edges and flip the plastic clip down while holding light pressure on the ribbon. This fixed my problem!  :#1:

Hope this helps  :tup:

All Sigs Made by ME!

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »
thanks blackburn, i still haven't bought a screen do i might try this first. bust right now i don't have any time. i'll let you know how that goes when i try though! thanks again!

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 04:17:03 AM »
It is the 40pin Zif connector on the motherboard, or the LCD.
The screen isn't making full contact with all of the RGB output pins.
I had the same sort of problem when I was getting the external screen working.

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 07:46:44 AM »
I don't think this is a ZIF connector issue, if any of the 24 RGB lines were not making contact the pixels would be equally affected throughout the entire screen. Something is probably wrong further up in the LCD hardware, possibly some damage to the ribbon in the fragile area where it folds around the glass.

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 07:59:36 AM »
Okay then, disregard my post.

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal