Author Topic: PLease help guys is my motherboard dead??  (Read 1565 times)

Offline bull2k8

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
PLease help guys is my motherboard dead??
« on: December 02, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »
any help is appreciated guys......here is the deal. when i hit the power button on my 360 i get an instant rrod. but it's not the normal rrod. even though the green light in the middle of the ring of lights is on and the rrod is flashin, the light on the power supply is still orange. when  looking at the brick as soon as i hit the 360 power button the light on the brick flashes red and then goes back to orange...also the brick powers on two other 360's no problem so it's not defective...my qustion is is my motherboard dead or is there something i can check or replace to remedy this situation?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: PLease help guys is my motherboard dead??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
Quick google search provided a link to another forum with the same problem...
My RROD experience two months ago was due to a bad power brick. The light on the brick would BRIEFLY flash red, and then stay orange. The xbox support site didn't really have anything to say about this, just that if the light stays red the brick is toast (I guess). So I sent my xbox out, got a new one back, and still got the RROD. That made me realize my other console was probably fine (le sigh).

Since MS doesn't have you send your PS out for 360 RROD repairs unless it is ruled that the PS is at fault, just be extra sure to look at the power supply and make sure it's fine! Hell, bring your xbox to a friend's place and try his just to make sure. I wish I would have taken some extra time to really check it out, but with the amount of GPU induced RRODs, it just seemed like a given to me that mine got that as well.

My suggestion, is try it with another power brick and if that doesn't work, just send it in.

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »
ya if warranty is still good, send it to M$. if warantys gone, try the X-clamp fix. if THAT doesnt solve it, save up for a new mobo.
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline bull2k8

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
ya if warranty is still good, send it to M$. if warantys gone, try the X-clamp fix. if THAT doesnt solve it, save up for a new mobo.

no warranty case has been opened....where can i get a new mobo? also did the xclamp trick. i read that you can trace the 12v and 5v lines and test for a short ? any idea how to trace the lines?

Quick google search provided a link to another forum with the same problem...
My suggestion, is try it with another power brick and if that doesn't work, just send it in.

the brick is good it powered up two other 360's and i also used another one on this box and get the same result :beg:

Kicks: Don't double post, just use the edit button instead. Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:21:02 PM by PspKicks316 »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:22:59 PM »
Hmm. I guess your best bet would be to try getting a RRoD 360 on ebay and fix it up and use that mobo. Or send it in to M$ and pay a small fee, I think they do that (I know $ony does...) or just find a mobo on ebay.

Someone else might have the answer, though, so I suggest waiting a bit longer. I know where I am, it's almost 11:30pm and most people wouldn't be awake. Give it another day or so and you'll have an answer, I'm sure.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:56 AM »
sounds like you have a short in your power somewhere. to see it 12V and 5V are shorted just use a continuity checker or and ohm meter.

Ok, you have left out the most important part...what the hell did you do to your xbox to make it act like this. :laughing: You say it has been opened and you did the x-clamp, was that because of this problem?  Did you solder anything into it? If so take everything out that you have done until you can isolate the problem.

If you can give me a full history of what has happened with that box, you will be a lot closer to figuring out why it acts stupid. :winker:

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »
not entierly familiar with your history, but rrod is three lights and I believe they are solid not flashing (dont remember) 4 flashing red lights instantly on power up, according to microsoft is a problem with the AV cable or vidio output. check your cable, use a new one, obviously you have access to extra parts. if its a new xbox try the hdmi port if you can.   

I'm with chives, obviously you have been inside the xbox, what did you do to cause this problem?

Offline bull2k8

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:51 AM »
sounds like you have a short in your power somewhere. to see it 12V and 5V are shorted just use a continuity checker or and ohm meter.

Ok, you have left out the most important part...what the hell did you do to your xbox to make it act like this. :laughing: You say it has been opened and you did the x-clamp, was that because of this problem?  Did you solder anything into it? If so take everything out that you have done until you can isolate the problem.

If you can give me a full history of what has happened with that box, you will be a lot closer to figuring out why it acts stupid. :winker:

the xbox was bought from a local pawn shop. because i noticed that it had the red ring of death. i had already read up on that so i thought  i could buy it for cheap and repair it and have a spare box. that was before i knew about the sub codes or to check the light on the brick. i didn't solder anything in there just the xclamp and i didn't check the sub codes before i did the xclamp so i don't really know if i caused it or was it already like that. since then i've repaired two  other systems but this was just a great mystery to me. it would be nice if someone from microsoft just happen to release the real meaning of the codes :yess:

Offline mod_alesek

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:16 AM »
it is my mod (: ....good idea do you? :hifive:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal