Author Topic: Tools for opening  (Read 3620 times)

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Tools for opening
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
On some places I read that you need a T6, T8, and T10 to fully disassemble the 360. Some places say only T8 and T10 is needed. What the T6 used for inside the 360? I need to buy tools to fully disassemble the 360.

Offline taylorclark

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
    • myspace
Re: Tools for opening
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »
On some places I read that you need a T6, T8, and T10 to fully disassemble the 360. Some places say only T8 and T10 is needed. What the T6 used for inside the 360? I need to buy tools to fully disassemble the 360.

the t6 is used for opening the hard drive
Gamertag- titan501x

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »
the t6 is used for opening the hard drive
Oh thanks. I wont be needing a T6 yet then. What is used for the DVD drive?

Offline taylorclark

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »
Oh thanks. I wont be needing a T6 yet then. What is used for the DVD drive?

hmm, not quite sure. i wouldn't be surprised if it was just regular philips.
Gamertag- titan501x

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
The controller is the T8 security one right?

Offline taylorclark

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »
The controller is the T8 security one right?

yes, but just get a regular torx 8 bit if you don't have a security bit. just break the pins in the screws with a small screw driver and use your torx bit
Gamertag- titan501x

Offline sean7341

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220338439798

I ordered this thing, looks like it's good.
What is the T8 used for besides the controller? You can get that kit without the T8 for ~$3 on DX.

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
   Simply for the 360 console tools needed are the T-8, T-10 and a special 7 prong tool. The 7 prong tool is what you'll need to unlock the rear of the console, the T-10 is what you'll need to unscrew the 5 or 6 long silver screws from the bottom of the console and finally the T-8 size will be used to remove the small black metal screw found for the X-clamps and the power board. All this tools can be found either on e-bay or Divineo.com. Good Luck..

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »
   Simply for the 360 console tools needed are the T-8, T-10 and a special 7 prong tool. The 7 prong tool is what you'll need to unlock the rear of the console, the T-10 is what you'll need to unscrew the 5 or 6 long silver screws from the bottom of the console and finally the T-8 size will be used to remove the small black metal screw found for the X-clamps and the power board. All this tools can be found either on e-bay or Divineo.com. Good Luck..
I went to harbor freight tools today and picked up a 32 piece screwdriver set that included T6, T8, T10 and a lot more for only $5.99. The quality seems fine but the T8 isn't a security so I guess I have to break off the security pins to open up the controller.

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:38:58 PM »
        That's a good price for that tool kit. For the security screws on the controllers, yes, you can break off the center pin and use the regular T-8 driver after that. Now, for unlocking the rear part of the console, I strongly recommend obtaining the 7 prong tool. You can try to use a very thin, precision like flat screw driver, but I'll guarantee that you'll be cursing yourself out by the time you get it open. I know from experience when opening it the first time around. I made my own 7 prong tool and it does justice. Good Luck...

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »
        That's a good price for that tool kit. For the security screws on the controllers, yes, you can break off the center pin and use the regular T-8 driver after that. Now, for unlocking the rear part of the console, I strongly recommend obtaining the 7 prong tool. You can try to use a very thin, precision like flat screw driver, but I'll guarantee that you'll be cursing yourself out by the time you get it open. I know from experience when opening it the first time around. I made my own 7 prong tool and it does justice. Good Luck...
I got mine open using the screwdriver I use for opening up PSPs and it worked fine. I might order that opening tool from dx next time I order though.

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:38:37 PM »
 Well, I guess you are on your way. GREAT!!

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Well, I guess you are on your way. GREAT!!
Yea, I got everything fixed yesterday. I fixed the RRoD right after putting in the screws and washers. But the motherboard doesn't fit in the metal casing that well because the screws are in the way a little.

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 12:42:49 AM »
          Try to enlarge the original X-clamp wholes on the metal casing by using a larger size drill bit. This will allow you to make extra space for the newly install metal screws were the screws no longer comes in contact with the metal casing, allowing the motherboard to sit nicely flush against the metal case. Don't worry, this will not change the functionality or the cosmetical look of the console. Do not drill into the bottom of the plastic case. Nice job on fixing the RROD.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
          Try to enlarge the original X-clamp wholes on the metal casing by using a larger size drill bit. This will allow you to make extra space for the newly install metal screws were the screws no longer comes in contact with the metal casing, allowing the motherboard to sit nicely flush against the metal case. Don't worry, this will not change the functionality or the cosmetical look of the console. Do not drill into the bottom of the plastic case. Nice job on fixing the RROD.
I read another X clamp tutorial and they said to use 3 washers under the mobo and screw it in from outside the metal case. Then use credit card pieces to even out the pressure on the gpu. I wonder if that will help my motherboard from flexing.

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »
    Well, there's several ways to do the X clamp fix on the 360 console. I personally, don't like to screw the motherboard to the metal case because if by any chance you need to remove the motherboard out of the casing, you would have no other choice but to unscrew it, running the chance of the heat sinks coming apart. The way I do it, is screwing it to the motherboard. Doing it this way, all you need is 4 washers per screw. Two nylon and two metal washers. Two underneath the heat sink and the other two underneath the motherboard. If done right, there's no chance of the motherboard warping or flexing. An additional 7mm size cpu fan, can help keep the console run extra cooler.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »
    Well, there's several ways to do the X clamp fix on the 360 console. I personally, don't like to screw the motherboard to the metal case because if by any chance you need to remove the motherboard out of the casing, you would have no other choice but to unscrew it, running the chance of the heat sinks coming apart. The way I do it, is screwing it to the motherboard. Doing it this way, all you need is 4 washers per screw. Two nylon and two metal washers. Two underneath the heat sink and the other two underneath the motherboard. If done right, there's no chance of the motherboard warping or flexing. An additional 7mm size cpu fan, can help keep the console run extra cooler.
Thats how I have mine done. 2 nylon and 2 metal per screw but the part where the usb ports are isn't fitting correctly. I have 2 extra 5cm fans and I was thinking about putting one behind the cpu heatsink to push air through it. Where should I solder the 12v to? I think I might need the extend the wires a bit but what kind of wire is needed and where should I buy it?

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »
       Well, if you see all of the usb connectors, front and rear, they all have small metal clips around them. When inserting the mobo into the metal casing, make sure that none of the metal clips sticks out thru the metal case, specially the rear connector. I did also experience this myself. About your 5mm fan connection, you can find your 12v connection underneath the mobo exactly were the AC power cord plugs into the console. Once there, you will see 12 solder points, already numbered 1 thru 12. Look for #6 and #9 solder points. The #6 solder point is your 12v (+) and #9 solder point is your GND (-) location. For your wire usage, you can safely use a 22 gauge wire. By this connection, there is no risk of getting banned from microsoft since the power usage is very low. I hope this help out. Good Luck...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal