Author Topic: Xbox 360 cooling suggestions ?...still need help  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Xbox 360 cooling suggestions ?...still need help
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:44:34 AM »
Hey guys,

I have two of these fans:

http://www.hong-sheng.com/ebusiness/news_images/CF-5010-3.jpg

(its a big pic so I put the link)

Any suggestions on how to use them. I was thinking of placing it on the heat sink that is coming from under the DVD drive...What do you guys think ?

Thanks
Max
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:47:24 PM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
Re: Xbox 360 cooling suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:42 AM »
do the duct mod, search it on youtube or google.
and attach one of those fans to blow air through the other side of the CPU heatsink (like on the opposite side of the ducts)

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline FooToo

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »
hmm.
i have the whisper fans, with the see through duct.
Also the core cooler v2 with a heavy duty on off switch
ooh and a custom cut DVD drive.

this cools my case pretty nicely but i was thinking of getting rid of the large heatsink with this Turbine fan heatsink cooler.
or i was going to get the $100 xbox 360 water cooling kit and get rid of the heatsink.

im undecided, hopefully the xbox 360 slim has the same motherboard and whatnot. I want all of this in my new xbox baby haha

When it comes out in spring though ^_^ :rofl:

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:22:26 PM »
do the duct mod, search it on youtube or google.
and attach one of those fans to blow air through the other side of the CPU heatsink (like on the opposite side of the ducts)

How do you propose you attach it ? and where should I get the power from. I was also thinking of increasing the voltage of the back two fans...but that could get me banned.

UPDATE:

Also is there anyway to attach the original fans in the back to a 12v source ? Like attach it to here:

Thanks again
Max
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 07:31:48 PM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: Xbox 360 cooling suggestions ?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
I think you would be fine if you attatched your fans to the 12V spot you have in that picture, as that is the place people reccomend getting power from.  They will be on full blast all the time, but it sounds like that is what you want.

I am not convinced you will get banned from using those points, I believe if you overloaded it with fans you may just trip out your psu over current and cause a red light on the psu. if that happens remove some stuff. 3 fans will most likely be fine cuz at ~750mA(250mA/fan) @ 12V is about 10W of the 175/203W supply.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Xbox 360 cooling suggestions ?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »
I think I'll enjoy my xbox now for a while I just finished it all up. I updated the ring of light thread mod if you want to see it there (maybe it should of gone in the "official post pics of your 360 thread :S) But definitely in the weeks to come, I might even get that switch which changes the voltage from 12-10.5-9. Also how do you propose I attach the fan to the GPU heat sync ? ( I don't want to cut)

Thanks again
Max

EDIT: But if I unplug the original fans and hook them up to the 12v PSU. Won't that cause problems because there's no fan plugged ? Also won't it be detectable. The 360 will notice there's no fan but something is still drawing 12v ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:34:38 PM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Xbox 360 cooling suggestions ?...still need help
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
HEEEELLOOOOOOOOOOO *echoes* lol anybody ? *echoes*

Sorry for the impatience, but I've been waiting since 8:30 to do this mod and now its 2:32 and still no replies...

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 06:37:46 AM »
as far as the 360 detecting that there isn't any fans hooked up, it wont.  You dont need those fans to have the 360 still operate.(it will over heat and show 2 red lights tho)  If you need more info google: xbox 360 12V fan mod.  Many people have sucessfully done the mod that you want to do.

If you want to put a fan on the GPU heat sink you will have to relocate your DVD drive, so that is probably not the best place.  If you want your fan blowing into the CPU heat sink you could attach it using zip ties or twist ties. I would suggest putting the fan blowing into both heatsinks as best as you can.

I would also cut the mesh at the bottom of the metal casing in order to increase your available intake for you new fan. Hope that helps

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:28:07 AM »
Hey,

Yeah I've been talking with Blackburn and he told me that M$ can clock the speeds of the stock fans. So I just decided, instead of doing that. I'm going to put another fan blowing into the CPU heat sync. I done it and everything only to find out the fan was broken and could barely spin. So then I had to de-solder. What are the dimensions of that XCM Core cooler V2 ?

Thanks
Max

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal