Author Topic: GUess wat, i got an xbox360 for 20 BUCK WOOOT. but...  (Read 2338 times)

Offline lilcrzytimmy

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Owner of A Red Hottie
GUess wat, i got an xbox360 for 20 BUCK WOOOT. but...
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
well i got an xbox 360 pro for 20 bucks from craigslist (i was randomly searching for pc power supply and wandered off into this xbox).  there are some problems... comes with ONLY power supply, and HD/AV component and is INFECTED with the RROD.  i contact microsoft and yea, apprently the previous owner registered the xbox and since im a second user, they are not willing to repair it for me under the 3 year warranty.  but who cares, imma open it up any ways and do a lil mod since its pretty much useless. 

i have some Qs.

does the X-Clamp mod really work to repair the RROD PERMANENTLY?
Whats the main cause of RROD? (i noe heat causes it, but why?)

also, (if i get the xbox360 out of the RROD), where can i buy internal watercooling parts online?  i looks EVERYWHERE and only found external kits. 

ill post pic later. i cant seem to find my camera.
Sonys: The Foreign 40gb Black* and the red hot slim soon the green slim.  Nintendo: The revolutional White.
Past: A whole mess of american PSP and eventually Japanese imports.

Materialistic, HELL YA. =D
*i just notice the ps3 was foreign, and i bought it in america. O.O

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: GUess wat, i got an xbox360 for 20 BUCK WOOOT. but...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
does the X-Clamp mod really work to repair the RROD PERMANENTLY?
Whats the main cause of RROD? (i noe heat causes it, but why?)
NO IT DOESN'T. This is said all the time.
No permanent fix.
TONS of things cause it.

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »
http://sogamer.wordpress.com/2007/09/01/360rrod/
cold solder between gpu can cause it

Quote from: Jumbo
I herd you like stealing quotes ey?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
http://sogamer.wordpress.com/2007/09/01/360rrod/
cold solder between gpu can cause it
EVERYTHING can cause it... just about.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:50:42 PM »
I just repaired a RROD system my friend gave me and now it works great. I did the X-Clamp fix and I got everything at lowes for under $7. Turn the system on and hold the sync button then hit eject. It will show red lights. then press eject again. and it will show another amount of red lights. do this 2 more times. You can check what is causing the RROD by reading the error code. I got error code 0020 and usually its the gpu memory thats causing it or some people say its because the motherboard is warping.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:07:12 AM »
Can you fix it.....yes
will it be permanent.......no
will watercooling help........probably not

The RROD can be one of many issues that occur within the xbox.  Long story short, microsoft uses crap solder that can fail due to stress.  The stress happens due to the imense heat within the xbox which in turn causes the motherboard to flex and warp.  most of the time it is a solder joint under the cpu that cracks (0102 I think). A heat gun and xclamp replacement will get you up and running again, however since those methods do nothing to address the initial reasons for failure RROD always happens again.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:18:54 AM »
however since those methods do nothing to address the initial reasons for failure RROD always happens again.
What would that be?
Maybe between all of us here we can think of something to help

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 09:18:34 AM »
yea, thats not going to happen. to perminatly fix this you would ned to rebuild the xbox, or build a new one from scratch. good luck with that. when the xbox was made, it had to compete with the other new systems comming out. so the sales people ask the designers and builders to make it cost less to produce, cheap solder was one of those money saving ideas. I sure bet they fired the guy who submitted that idea.

now saying that the fix is or is not permanent, and it will allways happen agian is true, but by that same logic you can state that all xboxes will eventually get the rrod. lets just say that after the xbox is fixed it has the same chance of failure as buying a new one.

with proper care, cleaning, and cooling you should not have to worry about this happening. agian to one that was fixed or to a new one.

RROD happens for a reason, the reason is over heating. keep your xbox cool! keep it clean, dust blocks air paths, thus allows it to get hotter, keep it out of confined areas where heat cant escape. these steps will prolong the life of any xbox, repaired or new.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »
What would that be?
Maybe between all of us here we can think of something to help
answer:
The RROD can be one of many issues that occur within the xbox.  Long story short, microsoft uses crap solder that can fail due to stress.  The stress happens due to the imense heat within the xbox which in turn causes the motherboard to flex and warp.
Clarification: as the solder joints heat and cool they expand and contract, that with addition to board flexing will eventually cause a solder joint to fail. Everytime you turn your console on and off the joints get worked a little more.

The answer easier said than done: Stop it from getting too hot. Watercooling may seem like it is better then forced air, however if you do your research you dont really get it much cooler using watercooling. I have seen posts about RROD on watercooled systems as well.  You can also try to restrict the board from flexing(I think that is what the 12 penny fix really does).  All and all what modded matt says is true there are methods that will prolong the life of any xbox, but the sad truth of the matter is that this problem exists in all xbox 360s.

There are methods that use potting and credit cards to distribute the force on the gpu and cpu more evenly, however the board warping is a tough one to stop as the you will never be able to get the heat out fast enough to stop it from occurring.

Personally I think that we wont see any xbox360s in 20 yrs........kinda sux considering how many of us still own a working console that we used 5, 10 and even 20 yrs ago. :boxed: The dang problem with cooling is that you will likely void your warranty to do it, and if all consoles are vulerable then you should probably keep your warranty intact.

Final note, there may very well be a RROD console that has been fixed and not failed again. However when you have done as much research on the issue as I have you will notice a complete lack of people saying that there RROD console is still running after >6mths. It is easy to post that you fixed it, however no one posts when it breaks again and they finally give up.  Not to mention there arent a lot of people offering any kind of warranty on fixing RROD, the ones that did already lost their shirt on the deal.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:00:00 AM by 802Chives »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
so in closing. for the $20 xbox you got on craigslist, do the xclap, add some fans and mod the crap out of it, but dont rely on it. the cooler you keep it the longer it will last.

the fun and knowledge you will abtain by fixing it and modding was worth you 20 bucks. end of. its not a new xbox, and if this is the only one you have, dont buy alot of games LOL

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
so in closing. for the $20 xbox you got on craigslist, do the xclap, add some fans and mod the crap out of it, but dont rely on it. the cooler you keep it the longer it will last.

the fun and knowledge you will abtain by fixing it and modding was worth you 20 bucks. end of. its not a new xbox, and if this is the only one you have, dont buy alot of games LOL

Cheers to that, I often overlook what starts a thread and loose track of what is important.  The important thing is that you are modding and that you got a deal on your xbox.  Mod the crap out of it, try softmodding the dvd drive "flashing", have fun.

I do post stearn warnings about RROD repair because too often people will fix one and think that it is a good idea to get into the business.  I really dont want to see AMers getting into a bad gig, espeacially dealing with a inherently bad design like this one.

Offline lilcrzytimmy

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Owner of A Red Hottie
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
DARN.

i was wondering, does microsoft keep track of history on every xbox? (i told them im a second user)

i called microsoft on sat and siad i recieved this 360 as a gift, but it was secondhand. (i noe, im unethical) but anyways, if i was able to prove the registration, would they be willing to repair it. im asking this question here cuz if i call, i will have to wait LONG HOURS, and i dont wanna waste my time.  their customer support isnt very great.

if not, i might do the x clamp mod to get it running and sell it for liek 100 bucks. but ill notify the buyer.  ill invest that money into a psp 3000 hahaha.
Sonys: The Foreign 40gb Black* and the red hot slim soon the green slim.  Nintendo: The revolutional White.
Past: A whole mess of american PSP and eventually Japanese imports.

Materialistic, HELL YA. =D
*i just notice the ps3 was foreign, and i bought it in america. O.O

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal