Author Topic: umd door problem  (Read 4357 times)

Offline asif

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
umd door problem
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:38:49 AM »
as the title says... i tried to do a umd door mod n i guess i sort of messed up (yes, im a noob)when i got the door back on, i was able to close it properly, but when i put a umd in, i have to squeeze the door tight to get the psp to read it and the door doesn't stay closed. any ideas as to why???
edit: i think it may be that the glue is to thick but im still not sure...ill get a video or something up
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:21:24 AM by asif »

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
Re: umd door problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
First off, Welcome to acidmods asif!

Ok, if you could post a picture of the umd door you worked on, that would help alot. it's possibal that the glue could be the problem if you used alot of it to sercure your jewel. Also make sure the UMD drive has been screwed in place properly. if any of the screws are lose then the door won't close.

Offline gamerdude767

• Blogs & Media Member
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »
yeah it might be the fact that you used to much glue to install jewel... the best way to get a jewel to fit perfectly is to get a 62mm drill bit as its the right size for the door and jewel :)

Quote from: H-Sauce
**Long Pause**........
Yup, thats better than balloons

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:03:57 AM »
yeah it might be the fact that you used to much glue to install jewel... the best way to get a jewel to fit perfectly is to get a 62mm drill bit as its the right size for the door and jewel :)

I belive it's a 52mm hole cutter, not 62mm. That would be far too big.

Offline gamerdude767

• Blogs & Media Member
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:11:42 AM »
yeah sorry it might be 52mm lol im really tired atm because ive only had like 2 hours sleep :( well anyway drill 52mm hole and you jewel should just squeze in there nicely

Quote from: H-Sauce
**Long Pause**........
Yup, thats better than balloons

Offline asif

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
yea i guess it is the glue...im gonna try melting some of it off. the screws and door are in fine. oh and a jewel is a hard plastic with engravings right? cuz if it is then i dont have a "jewel" i glued a thick folder plastic.

Offline asif

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
i havent got a camera n my webcam is garbage, so u guys wont be able to see it clearly but
<a href="http://&lt;object width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;movie&quot; value=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/lNAG5RDpz9Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/lNAG5RDpz9Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://&lt;object width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;movie&quot; value=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/lNAG5RDpz9Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/lNAG5RDpz9Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>
can there be a problem with the clips?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:38:12 PM by asif »

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/lNAG5RDpz9Y&hl=en&fs=1
There you go.
Click the "Insert Hyperlink" Icon (little earth) and paste the youtube link in between the ] and [

Example: Paste your url here
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:39:17 PM by RoBot1ks »

Offline asif

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »
lol im so lost...how do u do it

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 02:40:16 PM »
lol sorry.
I didn't explain it well enough
I edited my post so look at it again  :tup:

Offline asif

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
got it thanks

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
No problem man
I looked at the video and I have come to the conclusion that your glue is taking up too much space.
I would Take out the glue you currently have, and try putting some more but before its cool take your finger and smash it down
That should hold it

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »
No problem man
I looked at the video and I have come to the conclusion that your glue is taking up too much space.
I would Take out the glue you currently have, and try putting some more but before its cool take your finger and smash it down
That should hold it
Yea but don't do it right away or else you'll burn your finger >.>

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
lol
yes
I have a low temp glue gun ATM, so I do it right away

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 05:21:34 PM »
I completely argree with RoBot1ks. Another thing you could do is bend the metal pads the are attached to the UMD door back so there not pressing so hard on the umd disk. From what i saw on the video, you basicly cut out the hole in the umd door and added a clear plastic part over it. Not that it's a bad idea, it works really well, but it does take a few milimeters of space away from the umd drive. thus making it harder to shut the door completely. bending the umd pads should help. If that doesn't work, take off the pads.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:23:19 PM by ApheX »

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 08:40:12 AM »
That's a fairly good idea ApheX.
If I were you, I would take off the pads and re-do the hot glue at the same time..Just to save time.

Offline asif

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
thanks guys... i really want to add some blue led's in the psp, but i dont know where to get all of the parts i need.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
phenoptix.co.uk looks like an amazing place to get leds. I'm thinking about buying loads from them soon. They also sell kynar wire. To get soldering irons, flux, solder, etc. just go to radioshack.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline asif

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »
ok, im spamming my own topic here (is it okay?). anyways, i want 6 leds, but i want them last long and not burn out quick. which leds should i be looking for and what do i need to make them last long. actually can someone please give me a list of all the parts i would need, i'm too new to all of this and the forum has so much stuff and its hard to find what i need.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
You're not really spamming cause you're asking a question. I guess you could call it thread jacking, but you can't really jack your own thread, so it's fine :) It's actually better that you ask multiple questions in one thread, compared to asking 10 in 10 different threads. Anyway, all LEDs should last long if used properly. To make them last long, just don't give them more voltage than they need.

If it says:
forward voltage typical: 3v
maximum: 3.6v

Then use 3v! It says it can handle up to 3.6v, but  then your led will burn out much faster. As for what parts you need, it depends on what mods you're doing. I made an excel spreadsheet filled with psp and ds parts all categorized, etc. The link is in my sig. If you mean you want to know what basic equipment you'd need for modding, it includes, but is not limited to:

soldering iron
solder
desoldering braid/solder pump
helping hands
sponge
flux
leds
kynar wire
something to hold your soldering iron
wire stripper

With all that, you should be able to do some basic mods. But then of course, different mods will require different things. Feel free to pm me/post questions here/add me on msn (bustinthejus@hotmail.com) and I'll help you out the best I can. Some other basic tools would include a dremel, hot glue gun, etc.

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
You're not really spamming cause you're asking a question. I guess you could call it thread jacking, but you can't really jack your own thread, so it's fine :) It's actually better that you ask multiple questions in one thread, compared to asking 10 in 10 different threads. Anyway, all LEDs should last long if used properly. To make them last long, just don't give them more voltage than they need.

If it says:
forward voltage typical: 3v
maximum: 3.6v

Then use 3v!

But they will only burn out if you leave them on for a long period of time. So just have a switch to turn them off if your going to be leaving it going for a long period of time.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
Yes, but even if you have it on for short periods, if you put more voltage than needed into it, it will still burn out way faster than normal.

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
True. But it looks better while it's going lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal