Author Topic: Xbox's New Life (WIP)  (Read 3159 times)

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
Xbox's New Life (WIP)
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:03:10 AM »
Completed:
Softmoded 3 xbox's
Installed XBMC as Default Dash
Loaded All Movies,Music,Pictures,Games, and Emulators over
Grabbed all Fanart,Covers for movies and Tv Shows
Networked All Xbox's together
Added 1 tb HDD to two Xbox's with 64 cluster to make one big F Drive
Swapped Eject button with power

Thing's ToDo:
Fix the DVD drive issue (opens by its self turns on xbox and eject continuously) Prioity
Get a 250 to 500 gb HDD for the third Xbox
Case mod's
Swap Leds on the front adding others various places
Add and headphone jack to one xbox
Add USB socket to one xbox

If any one know of a way to fix the dvd drive issue it would be help full.

And any suggestions on what to do next would be great

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

Re: Xbox's New Life (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:34:40 AM »
are you sure the dvd issue isnt related to ur button swap?

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »
If you swapped the buttons then it could possibly be that the + on each button is shorting on the inner metal case.
Derp.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:16:48 AM »
I swapped the buttons hopping to fix the issue. The dvd drive would just open up when the xbox was turned off thus turning it back on. I was hoping the button interface was fried not the dvd drive but after swapping the issue continued.

But instead of the dvd drive opening to turn it on it turns on but the dvd player acts up when the Big Xbox logo shows up it opens and closes repeatedly then stops then start when the dash first loads leaving the dvd drive open.

I thought maybe the lens is dirty i cleaned it then i thought it is off track but nope that is not the case i am lost for ideas. i dont think the dvd drive fried but i dont know what is causing it to turn on it was doing this before it was ever opened up or tampered with.And that was one of the original reason for opening it.

in side the case is clean and was clean not much dust at all it was in perfect condition

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »
do you have another xbox? if so, try swapping the on/off power board, or the dvd drive itself.

also, have you flashed the tsop or chipped it yet?

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »
do you have another xbox? if so, try swapping the on/off power board, or the dvd drive itself.

also, have you flashed the tsop or chipped it yet?

The on/off board on the original xbox is just a pcb,it doesn't actually have any other components on it other than 2 tactile switches and 2 led's,so anything that would impede it's function would be clearly visible,so I doubt it's the on/off board.
Test the power and eject pins on the mobo with a multimeter to see if they are being grounded.
Post what you come up with and we'll try and help you fix the problem.
Derp.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55:31 PM »
okay i will try finding my volt meter it is some were around the house.

no chip on the xbox i just did it all through hotswaping.

UPDATE:
Okay i think i found the problem there is corrosion on the back side of the board. in between the 7 and 6 there is bad corrosion on traces b and c and maybe d.

So i have classes tomorrow but i might run by radio shack to get some kynar and follow this tut i found.
http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=12329
man some time i wish i had a camera

UPDATE 2:
I didnt go to radio shack i had the wire at home so that saved me money and a trip.

I wired up all 4 traces up and to tell you the truth the stupid via's were the biggest pain in the butt they would not take the solder.

So i layed the wires over the via and taped them place then soldered the two resistors up and then pluged in the unit.

it did not turn on by itself problem one fixed next i pushed the power button and the unit powered up and to my surprise the dvd drive did not open and clses it stayed shut problem two fixed.

new problem

problem 3
but once the main boot screen finished the xbox shut down i figure i had a short so i disconnected one wire at a time until i only had the B one connected to a resistor to via point and the until boots up fine and is working like a champ.

I only told what i did and experienced to help other who are having the same problem it may not be your dvd drive but corrosion on the board. Do not solder if you cannot hold a stedy had or do not have flux.

well next is to work on the case modding now i have all the trouble shooting done.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:31:50 AM by nez »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal