Author Topic: Building a home server  (Read 1211 times)

Offline PhenomenalDesigns

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Building a home server
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:47:04 AM »
I might need some help guys,

I was planning on building a server, for like gaming, personal gaming, so I host counter strike servers for about 4 of my mates to play on, never more than 6 players at once, and maybe host my website since it aint so busy and my host says 99.9% uptime when its more like 9.99%

Just wanted to know the basics

(Also would it be possible to get an older computer, not that old though, to use as a server?)

Hoi! Pinoy ako!

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
Re: Building a home server
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:06:28 AM »
Certain games like Left 4 Dead require quad cores to host the 4 player co-op campaign, and web servers usually are pretty beefed up in terms of processing power.

Offline PhenomenalDesigns

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:56:54 AM »
Not left 4 dead, too much cpu power for all those zombies, I was thinking of using the server to either host my website (which only gets about 30 hits a day) or a personal server for when me and my mates fell like playing like counter strike (not shotting, like those fun maps :D)

Hoi! Pinoy ako!

Offline The_Pr0slayer

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Caffein Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »
emmm... i know its an old topic, but i also know hope dies last and you will eventually see this post.... Go to EBAY and get yourself and intel pentium 3, a usable MOBO and a cooler in the rank of Golden Orb, or if you cant do it, go for AMD athlon 2k+ and something like that.... the graphics can be integrated, but its good to have up to 4gb of ram possible... also no more than 40GB HDD is necesary... but like you said... only for the website and CS server.... might not work for vent and such....

cheers.
-slaya

Quote from: TheG4mer
dont pour it into the woods because that would seriously f*ck up the ego system.

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
Thank you for the input slayer, but this topic is over two months old.
Please do not bump

Good luck,
RoBo      :tup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal