Author Topic: PSP with Water Damage  (Read 2818 times)

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
PSP with Water Damage
« on: February 15, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
I have a PSP with water damage and it won't turn on anymore. I took a look at the motherboard and it looks like one of the pins on the connector is missing.
I tested the power in another PSP and it work but the power LED on it does not.
Is there a way to fix the pin and try if it works?

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: PSP with Water Damage
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »
   I'm sorry to say, but the missing pin was not cause by water damage. The missing pin was probably cause by something more drastic like some one messing with it. Water damage usually leaves a white crusty residue causing corrosion to everything thats not protected. Eventually shorting things out. Did you found or purchased the psp from someone because it doesn't sound right, for water damage to have caused this. This was done by someone or something. This would be a hard fix, unless the mobo gets replace.   Good Luck...

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »
My friend gave me his cousin's PSP and said its been dropped in water and doesn't turn on. He said its fine if I can't fix it. When I got it, it was missing the warranty seal so I guess someone's has messed with this PSP. The pins on the power connector for the UMD motor is also missing/broken some pins. The powerboard is also screwed up. It turns on my other psps but the power led doesn't work.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:46:55 PM »
Yeah it sounds like that opened it up, screwed it up, and then used water damage as the excuse. Those sort of breaks are caused by someone careless with the connector, not water.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »
   Alright psp339, here you have an option to make. Decide to fix it or scrap it for parts. Based on the information giving, specially about the mobo, my advise is to scrap the old one and replace it with a new one. About the power board, check the resistors to the leds, bridge if necessary, or the factory led to see if they're functional.    PS: Do your self a favor and ask your friend to tell you the truth about what really happened to the psp. The picture of the mobo looks to clean and shows no sign of water damage.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
   Alright psp339, here you have an option to make. Decide to fix it or scrap it for parts. Based on the information giving, specially about the mobo, my advise is to scrap the old one and replace it with a new one. About the power board, check the resistors to the leds, bridge if necessary, or the factory led to see if they're functional.    PS: Do your self a favor and ask your friend to tell you the truth about what really happened to the psp. The picture of the mobo looks to clean and shows no sign of water damage.
He said he doesn't want the PSP anymore so I get to keep it. The back of the screen shows signs of water damage and so does the metal bracket. I switched the back of the screen with another one and now I have a fully working screen. :D

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
   COOL!!! Well, i guess you have extra parts now. The corroded metal lcd chasis can still be use if you slightly sand down, with a fine grain sand paper, the areas that are corroded.

Offline juust0_

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • ;woot modder
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »
Wow cool, i wish i have friends who give me broken psps for free.. lol.
PSP History

4 PSP Phats
1 Silver Slim

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
Nice! I just buy psps for cheap off my friends because they have no clue how much they're worth. Some guy with a psp that fully works except for mobo is willing to sell it for 30. Some guy sold me a perfectly working one to me for 80. Note that these are psp-2000s too XD

But yeah you should just scrap your psp for parts or buy a new mobo. With that many pins gone, the mobo's good as useless.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »
Nice! I just buy psps for cheap off my friends because they have no clue how much they're worth. Some guy with a psp that fully works except for mobo is willing to sell it for 30. Some guy sold me a perfectly working one to me for 80. Note that these are psp-2000s too XD
lucky... lol, the lcd alone is worth like $30, then the umd drive and all... :p

Thanks to HiddenVenom for the sig!

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »
Last time I bought a psp off a friend, it was a modded slim for only $50. Earlier, he payed me for a new clear faceplate and red and blue lights. I put in a speaker and a new metal ring and sold it on ebay for $152. :D

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:04 PM »
    COOL!!! You made out with a hefty profit in your pocket.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal