Author Topic: Gears of War 2 B button mod.  (Read 6397 times)

Offline Fire Thorn

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Gears of War 2 B button mod.
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »

i have actually figured out how to do this WITHOUT a chip. you must solder one wire from the player 1 led to the B button ground. you must scrape the protective stuff of the board then solder another wire from the player 1 led to one end of a simple radioshack button (one of the rapid fire buttons) and the other end to the other side of the B button.

it is not super awsomely fast because the signal is split, but its still pretty fast. i have only been beaten twice and that's because my friend is a freak of nature with lightning hands.  i appoligize for not providing pictues but i don't have a camera.

Happy modding.    :hifive:

This message has been modified since the post below.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:08:09 PM by Fire Thorn »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Gears of War 2 B button mod.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
not possible, I dont believe99.999% sure, even if it was you MUST have a chip to do so. and this involves timing issues that are imposible to judge accuratly.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:51:20 PM by modded matt »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
Mike worked long and hard on this particular mod, and it turns out to much more complicated than first suspected.  The main problem is entering into a chansaw battle, you need a long and solid press of the B button(wont enter with turbo on), once you enter into the battle then you need the turbo function on the B button to activate(if you are using a switch you already lost by time you do it).  So you really need a to have a dedicated embedded controller to detect the long press then go into the turbo function.

Not impossible but it definately takes some savvy embedded programing on a microcontroller. Like matt said there is no simple solution for this one.

Offline ichagowill

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »
i thought it was simple like scraping the board solder to be trace and led then to a momentary button like rapid fire for cod4 i used that way might it work

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
i thought it was simple like scraping the board solder to be trace and led then to a momentary button like rapid fire for cod4 i used that way might it work

read what chives said closely!
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline ichagowill

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:18:42 PM »
i no but shouldnt it be functional as normal like you go and hold the b button the once in the battle you press the momentary switch on the back

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:12:17 AM »
Well i slightly don't understand what you lot are trying to get at here either. What i read from Chives post is that you would have to have a seperate switch to activate the B button mod, and then press and hold the B button in order to use the "rapid fire" for it, which would then be too late. What ichagowill says is that if it is possible to have a seperate dedicated switch where it acts as the rapid fire on B itself rather than just activating the rapid fire wth the switch and then using the B button to do the rapid fire. Just like with the no chip method, instead of having a wire going from the switch to the R point on the controller point, couldn't you just wire the switch to the B button point on the controller so that it is a rapid fire, but not on the R trigger but on the B button, which is the whole point as you have to rapidly press the B button in order win a chainsaw dual in GOW 2.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:20:52 AM »
you could try it using normal b button to enter the battle and then wiring a pushbutton in line with the LED and the B button on back, but the timing of the PWM signal is not what you need for this mod.  The typical rapid fire speeds are not what you need for this mod.

If you were hell bent on doing this mod your idea that you suggested would be the simplest way.  Having an additional button with rapidfire on B, using a 555 timer that is adjustable so u could dial in the right frequency for the chainsaw battle. no guaruntees that this will work but would be worth a shot i guess since I am not sure mike took that tact when trying this mod.

Offline SYSTEM aka (Cyberpyrot)

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:50:42 AM »
I like pie

Offline ScatRD

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
That's how I was thinking myself.
You run up and hold B to start the duel and as soon as it starts, let go of B and hit the button to rf/win the duel. 
Only question would be how to get the pot set correctly, ie. pulse count, without spending a LOT of time trying different pots and resistors until you happen to get it right..

Offline ScatRD

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:01:16 AM »
Does anyone know if KingMike has the code worked out where it could be burned to a pic 12f683 like in the 3 wire kit?
Reload and rapid fire trigger I could do without it's the rapid fire for the B button I need and I'd rather pay the shop, the tax and shipping which would support the website than buy parts at RatShak for a timer circuit.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 07:00:40 AM »
mike mentioned he wanted to revisit this idea, we might take another shot at it this weekend

Offline ScatRD

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »
Hey Chives, did you or Mike ever get a chance to take a look at this?
I know with all the things going on behind the scene time may be in short supply.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »
Nope, havent looked back into it since the whole shop debacle went down. Once Nico is set up again we can look into as it seems to be a popular idea.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 04:15:36 AM »
hi guys i did this mod with a 555 rf mod
i had on with a transitor goin to the right trigger and the other was just a wire to a button then to the top contact of the B on a cg pad
once you set the pot to the correct speed for gears2 it worked brillient for chainsaw battles.
again if you want to start the battle hold standard b to rev up the chainsaw but once the battle start hold the extra rf B button on the back and win everybattle.
and if som1 start a chainsaw battle on u just hold the rf B on the back and agin win every time.
since i did this mod i have never been neatwen in a chainsaw battle.

i also want to try this with a single speed on buton rf mod
but dont av anymor cg pad to test on and cant be botherd to mod my matrix pads as they are a pain in da bum to mod

i also want to try a rf A for wen your downed to help slow your bleed out time or so you can crawl faster to get to a team mate quicker so he can pick you up.

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline Khaos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • You can call me Khaos, Wolfie, or Joel.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 05:37:24 PM »
Mike worked long and hard on this particular mod, and it turns out to much more complicated than first suspected.  The main problem is entering into a chansaw battle, you need a long and solid press of the B button(wont enter with turbo on), once you enter into the battle then you need the turbo function on the B button to activate(if you are using a switch you already lost by time you do it).  So you really need a to have a dedicated embedded controller to detect the long press then go into the turbo function.

Not impossible but it definately takes some savvy embedded programing on a microcontroller. Like matt said there is no simple solution for this one.

What about having the normal 'B' button and another 'B' Button thats turbo'd, placed underneath the controller or anywhere else.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
i no but shouldnt it be functional as normal like you go and hold the b button the once in the battle you press the momentary switch on the back
you could try it using normal b button to enter the battle and then wiring a pushbutton in line with the LED and the B button on back, but the timing of the PWM signal is not what you need for this mod.  The typical rapid fire speeds are not what you need for this mod.

If you were hell bent on doing this mod your idea that you suggested would be the simplest way.  Having an additional button with rapidfire on B, using a 555 timer that is adjustable so u could dial in the right frequency for the chainsaw battle. no guaruntees that this will work but would be worth a shot i guess since I am not sure mike took that tact when trying this mod.

gotta read the whole thread carefully :winker:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:59:34 PM by 802Chives »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal