Author Topic: BIG PROBLEM!!!  (Read 1327 times)

Offline redrider

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
BIG PROBLEM!!!
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »
So today I received my twilight flow(blue) for llama.com and just recently begin installing it. Before I did my console worked perfectly and had no problems at all.....after installing it though I turned my 360 on to make sure it worked and everything so i did...and when I did my whisper fan and, aurora, and the twilight all turned on for a split second then off went all of them. So I turned of my console completely and tried it again, this time nothing happened at all. So I then disconnected everything and plugged the stock rear fan back in and tried to turn it on. the console turned on but the fan did not spin at all. I then inspected the twilight flow and noticed the the wire connecting all the led's was exposed in one area and that area happened to touch the main heat sink then causing a short im guessing. and now my console will obviously overheat and shut off now so it is useless..Is there anything I can do to fix it or am I out a motherboard?and If I am do you think llama will step up and compensate me for it? I sent them a email explaining all of this and I hope they do even though they dont produce the produce but only market it...
What do you all think? :cry2:
Pandora Pw3neD $ony

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: BIG PROBLEM!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »
llamma is most likely not going to help, I wouldn't they check thier stuff fairly well before it goes out.

will the xbox still come on and function? or will it not play at all?

if it still works, I would go to radio shack and buy a wall plug with selectable transformer, one that can be set to supply 12v and I would use that to power my fan. so if you are constantly running 12v it should never get too hot.

you can also look for another internal power supply, but an external one would be easiest. but be careful, I would feel bad if you electricuted yourself...for the second before I laughed at you ....LOL I am just kiding...

wire what you want to the transformer, plug it in and test the fan/lights, and then unglug it and fit the assembly into the xbox.

Offline gameroms

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:38:53 AM »
you have blown atleast 1 of the 2 voltage regulators, now your only option is to bridge the regulators to run at 12v, the fans will be somewhat louder, but it works fine.  i boosted mine to 12v that way just for the extra cooling.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=637955

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »
~gameroms

Sweet thanks for the awesome tut. What are the chances of being banned ?

Max

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »
yup, those fan regulators or the transistor/mosfet that is used, are spec'd right in the hairy edge of being able to run the stock fans. If you load that circuit any harder then the stock fans with say 3 seperate products it will definately blow.  A little suprised Llamma didnt have a warning up or mention that in the install guides, but oh well.

The old "will I get banned from 12Ving my fans" debate...... there are some rumors that someone got banned from 12V there fans, now the credibility of the rumors are questionable at best.  What it comes down to is that if you look at the hardware and software closely it is possible for M$ to monitor the power draw, however very unlikely unless you provoked them to look into your console more closely by say having messed around with firmware.  That being said there are hundreds of people with multiple fans on there xbox that have not had a problem, heck even some people with modded firmware havnt ever had a problem on live.  Another point is why would M$ ban someone over making there machine cooler and effectively extending the life of your machine and reducing chances of RROD?

So yes there is a slight chance of a ban, however I would not discourage anyone from doing it as the evidence suggests that it does not cause a ban.

Offline redrider

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
llamma is most likely not going to help, I wouldn't they check thier stuff fairly well before it goes out.

will the xbox still come on and function? or will it not play at all?

if it still works, I would go to radio shack and buy a wall plug with selectable transformer, one that can be set to supply 12v and I would use that to power my fan. so if you are constantly running 12v it should never get too hot.

you can also look for another internal power supply, but an external one would be easiest. but be careful, I would feel bad if you electricuted yourself...for the second before I laughed at you ....LOL I am just kiding...

wire what you want to the transformer, plug it in and test the fan/lights, and then unglug it and fit the assembly into the xbox.

ya it still comes on and everything, but mu question is if i do bridge the 5v to be 12v will that blow my aurora lighting or should I be ok?
Pandora Pw3neD $ony

Offline gameroms

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 02:56:02 PM »
stick with 5v, for saftey not to pop leds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal