Author Topic: Internal SD mod questions  (Read 2437 times)

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Internal SD mod questions
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »
My friend's old motherboard doesn't read memory sticks anymore because I think the memory card reader is broken. Some pins were bent so I think that was the problem. I tried to fix it but still doesn't work. So I decided I might give the internal SD mod a try and I have a few questions.
1. What's the best way to remove the memory stick reader on the motherboard?(I tried to desolder it but I'm not sure how)
2. Where can I buy a SD slot that is spring loaded?
I'm going to be buying a 16gb SD from newegg and a microsd to memory stick adapter from dx.

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
Re: Internal SD mod questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
wat i do is try to remove the metal top part first
wat u got to do is heat up the solder on the big pads on the left and right of the card
while heating one of the pads lift the metal cage wit a screwdriver or something then do the other and the other until it pops off
for the rest just break pieces of the black plastic of little by little until u get to the tiny points on the mobo wat u wanna do there is bend the big metal legs upward and heat up the lil pads while u pull the legs

and for the spring loaded SD slot i will be getting some on 3/20/09 if mousers isn't lying
i ordered them on 1/2?/09 they take forever

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »
wat i do is try to remove the metal top part first
wat u got to do is heat up the solder on the big pads on the left and right of the card
while heating one of the pads lift the metal cage wit a screwdriver or something then do the other and the other until it pops off
for the rest just break pieces of the black plastic of little by little until u get to the tiny points on the mobo wat u wanna do there is bend the big metal legs upward and heat up the lil pads while u pull the legs

and for the spring loaded SD slot i will be getting some on 3/20/09 if mousers isn't lying
i ordered them on 1/2?/09 they take forever
Ok, I'll try desoldering it again later.
It takes you that long for an order from mouser?? Usually takes me 3 days to get an order from them.

Offline rgarjr

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »
Mouser charges a chit load for shipping.  I would suggest u order from digikey.  I got a few of those SD slots (spring loaded) which are like 1.30 each. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:17:27 PM by rgarjr »

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »
Mouser charges a chit load for shipping.  I would suggest u order from digikey.  I got a few of those SD slots (spring loaded) which are like 1.30 each. 

Yea, they charge a lot for shipping. The cheapest is priority mail.   :sadno:
Do you have a link for it? I can't find the one that is 1.30.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:37:40 PM by psp339 »

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »
if u want once i get them u can have one just pay shipping
and when i ordered off them it was backordered or some other BS

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline rgarjr

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
Yea, they charge a lot for shipping. The cheapest is priority mail.   :sadno:
Do you have a link for it? I can't find the one that is 1.30.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=3M5646CT-ND

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=3M5646CT-ND
Here's the exact same one on mouser. http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv12%252brFPZJrWZ1iQZ%2fkJLRJ5c9HdLpKaSM%3d I was searching and bookmarked this one because its cheap.
I'm going to order it on digikey since they have the first class mail option which is a lot cheaper than priority.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:23:08 PM by psp339 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal