Author Topic: Xbox 360 External Cooling Mod .::. NO F'ing Tape!  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Jack6194

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Xbox 360 External Cooling Mod .::. NO F'ing Tape!
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:50:35 AM »
hey guys,I'm starting to work on a project which will cool the Xbox360 by using External fans,thus not voidding the warrenty,I've been looking around on the internet for awhile looking for some idea's,But all i seem to find is people using tape to 'hold' the fan on the Xbox  :wacko: .

There is a little bit more to the project tho,At the moment i'm still in school studying for my GCSE and for Electronics i have to create something,thus me doing the fans,what i have thought about doing is Meausing the fan speed the having it displayed on a 7 segment display (this way means that i shall have a switch,on & off of course)or having the fans kick when the Xbox gets to a certain temperature (Could do that by PIC?) again i could have the Temp displayed on a 7 segment display  Due to the Exam board being total :censored:heads i cannot use Mains power :| so its either batteries (9-volt PP3?) or USB powery thingy.

I plan on Vacuum forming or Moulding a case for the fans which will feature 2-4 clips which will hold the fan onto the back of the Xbox.after thinking about running the Fans off a PP3 i had a problem on where to house the battery (as if you look at more commerical fans they use the power off the console) so i think there is only two places i can house it,which are above the powercable or above the AV/HDMI outlet.If i go down the route of having the fans kick when the Xbox gets to a certain temperature, I shall need to have a remote on & off switch.to be honest i don't really know what else to write,but what i need is some help about what sort of Fan size will i need and if it could be possible to run two fans off a PP3?

Thanks for your time.

-Jack.

Offline redrider

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Xbox 360 External Cooling Mod .::. NO F'ing Tape!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:34:09 AM »
really there is no affective way of cooling the 360 from the outside at all just to let you know. but yes you can run fans of a 9v battery, but then again it would have little or no affect on cooling the 360 and might even be harmful to it if you don't position the fans right.  :fear:
Pandora Pw3neD $ony

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 04:39:49 AM »
If your going to cool from the outside, lay the 360 horizontally and put the fans blowing into the bottom vent. But like redrider said, it won't do much good.

Offline Jack6194

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:51:36 AM »

Thanks for the replys,After reading around and like you just said,it really won't be affective..but longs it gets me a  pass i'm ok with it,the criteria says that i don't have to use it only make it and get it working,I don't use an external fan because i just got my Xbox back from Mircosoft and as i have my fan on table top it keeps it cool enough it lays horizontally (DVD drive and motherboard busted) .Well,like every other cooling mod i plan on attaching it to the back of the 360 and to be honest,I only have to take a few pictures of it attached and to the Xbox which will prove it fits.

Any idea on what sorta of fan size i would need though? Would DC Cooling Fan 50 x 50 x 10mm or 2x60mm Fans be just fine?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »
I've read attaching fans to the back actually makes it worse.

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »
I've read attaching fans to the back actually makes it worse.
this is true. I had an intercooler that made my 360 overheat.. it didn't help one bit.  So now I dont use anything from the outside and im trying to implement 2 fans with thermal resistors (when they get hot the fans speed increases) in the 360 itself.

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline redrider

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:02:45 PM »
yes...attaching fans to the back where the OEM 360 fan is will actually make that fan not do its job and will cause :clap: your 360 to overheat most likely and then could end up giving u RROD! :boxed:
Pandora Pw3neD $ony

Offline p3t3r_m

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
ive put a fan on the back of my xbox behind the oem fan and it does pull more air out of the xbox and makes it a lot cooler inside i have checked lol and you couldnt rely power 1 fan properly from 5v from the usb never mind 2 fans =/
BLARG!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal