Author Topic: Um Help...  (Read 1792 times)

Offline ramoneybling

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Um Help...
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
um I have 2 xboxs which both of their dvd drives stop working (When i press open disk, it wont open(it would say opening, then closing, then reading (no disk inside)then back to Open Tray)). when i opened the dvd while,pluged in, the laser never moved when i clicked "open tray".the xboxs just wont read the dvds.                                                                 Im guessing its the firmware messed up, but i never tried to mod it...help? Also if i flash, can i flash it back to normal?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:29:58 PM by ramoneybling »

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Um Help...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »
For one, you should NEVER look at a device with a laser while its on. That laser is strong enough to light a match, so imagine what it will do to your eye and its invisible...

Check all the ribbon cables, make sure they are all connected properly....About it not reading DVD's the laser might be busted. You might need to tweak the pot. But before you do that, just make sure all the riboon cables are connected properly while its turned OFF If that doesn't fix it, then post back...Also have you done any mods at all...or tried to run any programs to crack the xbox ?

Hope this helps
Max
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:48:29 AM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline ramoneybling

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
Yea, I check if the cables are connect and they indeed are connect properly, but both of my xboxs just wont read the Dvdv drives. They are the oringnal dvd drives for it. And no I haven't Tried any Mods on the xbox nor the dvd drives...

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 02:43:16 AM »
Ok hmmm, can you just check that the little rubber band that acts as a pulley to open the drive isn't broken ? I don't know if you've done this but unplug the dvd drive and plug it back in. Also make sure the contact to the mobo is good. Usually the simplest things cause the biggest problems.

Fixing DVD drives is never worth it. Your best bet would be to just buy the same part number DVD drive, and swap the motherboards. You can't just completely replace it because the new DVD drive isn't keyed to the motherboard so it won't work.

To check what drive you have watch this vid:

How To Check What Drive You Have In Your Xbox 360
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:47:33 AM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »
I agree with Max on this one, fixing DVD drives usually isnt worth the time it takes when a new drive can be had for usualy less then $40.  Most of the time you go through replacing stuff only to find out that you should have gotten a new drive in the first place.

Also what max said about the little belt failing is very common for DVD drives of any type. It seems that DVD drive manufacturers have figured out the precise manufacturing process to produce tray drive belts that fail at exactly 2.5yrs. 

Microsoft is facing another issue of the same magnitude as RROD with their sub standard dvd drives.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:06:31 AM »
Microsoft is facing another issue of the same magnitude as RROD with their sub standard dvd drives.

yep, did anyone catch yahoo's front page yesterday? "microsoft and the new RROD" refuring to the E74 code

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »
I know, the new RROD is E74..... could have seen that coming a mile away as my dvd drive failed shortly before getting RROD.  I am sure they will try to avoid all responsibility until the bitter end.  The sad part is that most DVD players these days only have a lifetime of a couple of years.... how did that happen you ask? Well the consumer made it acceptable by continously buying crap dvd players for $40 everytime their old one failed.  M$ is easily the dumbest group of smart people on this plannet, they have surpassed industry failure rates even a whopping 4 years into the design cycle :O Man I wish I had that kind of leanency with my customers, unfortanately I dont.

But i guess when your major competitor is Sony who also makes every possible mistake it allows you to pass crap off as filet mignon.  Corporate companies like M$ and Sony think they are smart by hiring these fancy business people who dictate how the product ends up, but unfortanately the fancy business people all came out of the same class as the ones who f'd up our economy.  Corporate BS at its finest ladies and gentlemen.

Offline ramoneybling

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »
Yea, I want fix my old one tho, I don't have the kind of cash to by a New one, even if its 40 dollars. Can you just help me fix my old ones PLEASE

Btw, I unpluged it and Repulged it, It still doesnt work. And the rubber band in both of the dvd drives are still in tacked.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:54:18 AM »
Well judging from the problem you have in your other post. You have the wrong DVD drive in the wrong xbox. You can't just swap them. You have to spoof the drive. Use the tut I posted in the other thread...

Max

P.s. You don't have to keep sending my PM's to check your thread. I will check it, it usually says "new" next to the thread if there's a new reply. So don't worry. I won't leave you hanging :P

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:56:04 AM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline ramoneybling

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »
No I never switched the dvd Drives, They both stopped working before I Took my xbox apart.

I dont know if this helps but one is samasung and the other is ihtchi or somthing like that..

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »
you mean hitachi :)
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:47:35 AM »
hmmm, I would just get another DVD drive which is the same model and swap the mobo's. Don't think there is any other way. But I'm not 100% sure that will fix it either, and its VERY strange that both DVD drives stopped working at the same time...

Offline ramoneybling

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
I only been using one, but once the dvd stoped working, i tried using my other xbox but the dvd ended up no working on it too. What do you recommend Execpt for buying a new dvd drive....

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
I honestly don't know. I've never fixed a DVD drive in my life. You could try re-flash it but I don't know where you will be able to find the original firmware.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal