Author Topic: Power Brick Question  (Read 4897 times)

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
Power Brick Question
« on: March 27, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
   Hi Guys! I just got my hands on a used Xbox 360 Elite without the power brick. Before I purchase a power brick, I would like to know which type of power brick is the one that belongs to the Elite? Is it the 150, 175 or the 203 watt power brick. Any info would be appreciated, thanks..

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Power Brick Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090302202601AA7mx9p

Hope this helps

P.S. if anything happens to your 360, from the result of getting the wrong power brick. I'm not responsible. I'm just giving you info I found.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:59:19 PM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »
it is determined by which mobo you have. each mobo needs a different brick, look at the back just above the power plug

there is a new center pin on the new power bricks that will not allow them to be used with the older xboxes, but a power brick from an older xbox can be used on a newer xbox. let me know if I you need anymore info.

MM

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:31:05 PM »
    Thank you guys for your replies. I'll keep searching around to make definate sure that I get the right one. If any one has further info on this, please come forward. THANKS...

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »
I have some info for you. If you are unsure which power brick to get, just get the 203w one, the 360 only takes the wattages it needs, and if you have a falcon you will have extra wattages for mods like extra fans.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
Why don't you just go into a game store and ask them or even better, ring M$ ? I'm sure they could help you.

Max
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:30:43 AM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:29:54 PM »
   Thanks, I my just do that.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:35:23 AM »
to clarify what matt said: If you can plug the power supply in, it will work.  there are 3 versions, each version produces a little less output then the previous.  M$ isnt as dumb as they so often seem, they foresaw this type of thing happening so with each version they produced they made a slight modification with each plug so if the PSU is under sized for the machine it simply wont plug in.

The first version, 203W version will work on any of the machines.  The next version 175W? will only work on the newer boxes including the jasper.  Lastly the Jasper supply will only work on the jasper box.

So like afataldonkey said, just get the 203W version to make sure it wil work.

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:41:02 AM »
all power bricks work with any 360. i have my 175 watt working on my 203 wat Xbox 360. all you need to do is rip off the little plastic bit in the middle of the power plug on the 360 , and then plug in the PSU. ive had it running on the 175 watt fior months, and nothing has happened yet, and probably never will.
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:56:15 AM »
all power bricks work with any 360. i have my 175 watt working on my 203 wat Xbox 360. all you need to do is rip off the little plastic bit in the middle of the power plug on the 360 , and then plug in the PSU. ive had it running on the 175 watt fior months, and nothing has happened yet, and probably never will.

I will put this as nicely and as profesionally as I can.

please dont do that!! underpowering any electronic device is the worst thing you could ever do. please, please dont do this!! if you give it too much power, fine it will only take what it needs if you undersupply it you are starving some of the vital components..this WILL lead to premature failure of the device...(not could...will)

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:13:49 AM »
d00d, my 360 works perfectly  with the 175 watt. it never RROD'ed on me, and its still working as of now. i started using the 175 watt about uhm 7 months ago. nothing has happened. id say that u can use a 175 watt on a 203, or  if u have a 175 watt 360, you can use a 150.

its only 28 watts XD
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »
It doesnt suprise me that an underpowered PSU can still power a higher powered console as PSUs are generally designed so that they well exceed the power requirements of the device.  However you are asking for trouble by doing what you are doing, for one you may be starving some vital parts of needed power, for two you risk damaging the powersupply as it will be creating more heat than it was designed for, for three depending on what game your using and whether or not you have it on ur HDD the 360 will draw different amounts of power.  That being said ya it will probably be fine and never be an issue, but you dont know if sometime by putting a new game in, that is a resource hog, may cause adverse effects due to underpowering your console or over drawing your PSU.

Good to know that it can be done, but I would never recommend anyone to do it, as you really dont know what is happening and just because it worked with your console doesnt mean someone elses wont see problems.

Offline Ghost In Black

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
Does running a game off the HDD create less heat and stress for your Xbox?

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
I doubt running a game off the HDD really does anything for the stress and heat issues.  The CPU and GPU still work just as hard, it is only the DVD drive that will remain dormant, which doesnt put a lot of heat or stress into the system comparitively to the processors.

At best I would say that puttting your games on the HDD will extend the life of your DVD drive, which seems to be the next most common failure after RROD.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal