Author Topic: Tutorial for Pandoraizing a Slim battery???  (Read 4328 times)

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
Tutorial for Pandoraizing a Slim battery???
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
Hey I know there are so many hundreds of tutorials on making OEM PSP slim battery's into pandora, but so many like atleast 75% of those are, screwy and done by 10 yr olds who have no idea what they are talking about, now I really REALLY would hate to spoil my slim batt cause to buy another OEM they are pretty expensive. But if I can get help from someone on here who knows what they are doing then it would be more handy then buying another pre-made pandora from DX since I already have a batt.

Help anyone? (pics would be great)

Offline gamerdude767

• Blogs & Media Member
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: Tutorial for Pandoraizing a Slim battery???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »
 once you flipped the motherboard out, just use the blade to make scratch on the board indicated in the blue rectangle area (ignore the red circle), just follow that gold line in this picture, in other words cut ON the line just like walking on a line... dig into like 10 times just to make sure, but not too rough to break the board DO NOT CUT THE 5TH PIN!!!

tut taken from www.pspmod.com

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:51:58 AM by gamerdude767 »

Quote from: H-Sauce
**Long Pause**........
Yup, thats better than balloons

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Okay so any directions? lol

And are you sure that's teh slim batt?

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »
there were directions  under it...
I reccomend tdoing the software version of this as you can eventually change your battery back to its original state
and YES that is indeed the slimm battery

Offline jakxxx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:37:08 PM »
I don't think you can softmod a slim battery,  I know a slim can't softmod a battery

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
there were directions  under it...
I reccomend tdoing the software version of this as you can eventually change your battery back to its original state
and YES that is indeed the slimm battery

No dude he edited his post after I posted it was just a picture.

why so many -'s!??!?!?

Offline jakxxx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
Is your PSP a 2000 or 3000?

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »
2000 with a TA-085 Mobo which is hackable.

Offline jakxxx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »
This is taken from psp-hacks dot com.  I don't know how to link the pictures sorry.

Pandora's Battery: The Hardmod Method

Requirements:

- PSP
- A battery that will become a Pandora's Battery (the battery that comes with your PSP will do, but you wont be able to use the battery normally, so a new battery is reccommended)
- Memory Stick larger than 64MB
- Some sort of wedge that isn't metal to get the battery open (like a guitar pick)
- Some sort of knife to cut a very small wire
- Tape or glue

Instructions:

Making the battery

Once you have made the battery read the next section to make a Magic Memory Stick (also needed) -- Making the Magic Memory Stick

FAT BATTERY (scroll down for the Slim battery)

This is our victim --

Please note that while this concept may work on non-Sony batteries, only official batteries are guaranteed to have the same internals, so we recommend using one.

1)

The first thing you need to do is obviously crack open the battery. Surprisingly, the battery isn't very hard to get in to. In this picture --

-- you can see that this person is just using a guitar pick to slide in through an edge and slide around the perimeter of the battery to separate the two halves.

2)

Next, we need to locate a certain chip. The chip has the model number S93C56 printed on it. We are going to need to desolder pin 5 and lift it off of the board. Here is a magnified view of the board --

-- which shows where the chip is and which pin needs to be lifted.

Newer batteries have a much smaller board with a different layout. The same chip needs to have the pin lifted, but the chip is in a different position. Once you've located chip S93C56, the rest of the instructions are basically the same. This has been confirmed with the 2200 mAH Official Sony battery.

3)

If you are not confident in your soldering skills, have a less than steady hand or have a larger-than-optimal sized tip, please desolder the cell pack from the battery first. If you make contact between pins 5 and 6 then you will short ground to +3.6VDC! Not good! When desoldering the cell, only keep the iron on long enough to melt the solder. If you can, use a higher wattage iron so that the tip will be hotter, but you won't transfer as much heat to the cell pack. Remember that heat + Li-Ion battery = large explosion, so if this is your first solder job maybe you should try something easier first

Now is actually desoldering the pin. There are a few ways you could do this, but I think my method is the best because its less likely to damage components near by. Use an Xacto knife with a sharp tip and try to put it underneath the pin. Get somebody to hold a soldering iron (WITH A VERY FINE CONICAL TIP!) on the pin. When the solder melts you can pop the pin up with the knife. Be sure not to hold the iron on the board too long to avoid the lithium battery from getting too hot and exploding.

4)

Finally, close the battery's casing. Use some Krazy Glue to keep it closed, or just use electrical tape around the edges like I did. I don't actually recommend the electrical tape as it makes the battery very snug in the compartment and it takes a bit of force to get it out. You can use the battery just like a regular Pandora's battery.

How does this work?

The pin that we just lifted was actually the ground pin of the EEPROM. Removing this pin effectively shuts off the EEPROM. When the microcontroller inside the battery tries to read the EEPROM, it will think the EEPROM contains all 1s (in binary). This is because of the pull-up resistors on the data lines. So the microcontroller returns a serial number of 0xFFFFFFFF to the PSP, which then goes into service mode.

SLIM BATTERY

Apparently instead of lifting or cutting the leg of the IC04 module on the circuit board in the battery of an original psp slim battery, you can simply cut one of the traces on the board to get the same results. You can cut it with a pen knife, but don't cut completely through the board, just make sure it cuts the connection. Instant pandora battery! I may have overlooked something and before I know it my battery will send psp shrapnel into my hands. That would suck.

Trace = the cool looking connection lines that connect the components of the board together.

Also, be careful when opening your battery to not puncture the actual compnents inside since lithium can very dangerous and even explosive. It's much easier if you use something that is strong that doesn't bend easily like a glasses screwdriver or just a small screwdriver that can get into small grooves without bending. Pen knives trying to open a battery case made it difficult since the blade is flimsy and if you aren't careful, you may end up cutting yourself or punching through the soft plastic cover into the lithium cell.

I haven't done this thank goodness, but the plastic is soft enough to where this can happen. And always, never apply insane amounts of pressure no matter how mad or difficult the process can be.

THE MATERIALS

1. I'm sure you've got a small spare screwdriver somewhere.

2. The pen knife can be really cheap. I got mine for like $1.00.

PROCEDURE

1) Open the battery. I would recommend running something like a guitar pick through the crack that you create to have less chances of hurting yourself or scratching your case too much. Do not use something metal to open the battery; it could short out your battery, making it useless

2) Locate the trace to cut from this picture --

-- it's in the BLUE circle NOT THE RED -- DO NOT CUT THE PIN IN THE RED CIRCLE

3) Cut the trace using a knife

4) Put your battery back together. You can tape your battery up with tape if you don't like how it comes apart due to lack of adhesive.

TIPS

1) If you have to, dig a small hole in the cover with your screw driver between where the top and bottom covers meet, then try to run your screwdriver all the way around to break the adhesive seal.

2) The corners are tough, so if you have to, work on all four sides of the battery before trying to separate the adhesive on the corners.

3) Remember that the psp can still be powered with adapter if you manage to screw up your battery or need the psp to power up for some reason.

Offline mastapsp

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »
What R u taking about, You can use the battery after you do this, i was able to cut the pin and resolder it when i was done, there is little room in there for a switch but it can be done

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal