Author Topic: 2 Phat PSP's repair/restoration. Advice requested please :)  (Read 1639 times)

blizzardcyclone

So this is my first post and Im somewhat a newb to psp modding, but this is more of a restoration project then a modding project.  I got 2 phat psps for cheap, but they were damaged.  Heres the breakdown of the 2:

PHAT PSP1:
No analog nub
UMD Drive not reading discs at all, even when lens was cleaned. (UMD Switch is in tact and functional when pressed down and laser moves and disc spins)
Overall system housing is pretty beat up.

PHAT PSP2:
No analog nub
Cracked LCD Screen
UMD Switch broken off (UMD Drive May or May not be Good)
Overall system housing is pretty beat up.

Now here lies my problems.  I order 2 working UMD Drives off ebay.  I order a replacement LCD lens to replace the broken one.  I order 2 new PHAT housing (white and red) and also order 1 set of L+R buttons as one of the psp's L+R buttons were chewed up.

Now, taking apart PSP 1, I watched a bad disassemble video on youtube, and accidentally broke off the backlight ribbon and connector from the mother board.  I tried just laying the connecter to the board to touch the contacts and it seemed like the backlight worked as it came back on.  Not wanting to try solder just yet, I tried taping it to the board and it seemed like it would stay on for about 5 seconds then turn off.  So then I tried crazy gluing it to the board and the same thing seemed to happen. It would stick for a few seconds then turn off. (PSP system was still powered on, backlight was only thing that turned off.)  So I vigorously tried cleaning the glue off with a paper towel that had nail polish remover (as this removes crazy glue) and some of the paper towel got stuck to the connector and now the ribbon was glued shut to the connector, so this was a lost cause.  I threw out this backlight and was able to use the backlight from the cracked LCD (This backlight was still good.)  So without the connector, I tried laying the ribbon against the board and it again worked fine while i was holding it down with the screw driver but nothing seemed to hold it down (tried crazy glue, and electrical tape) So I read somewhere someone used solder, to solder the ribbon to the contact on the board.  I started doing this and then again the backlight turned off and now rubbing the ribbon against the contacts wotn even bring the backlight on.  Plus when I attempted to solder the ribbon to the board, it sparks in that area so Im not sure if it shorted something or if the contacts on the board are no longer good.  I know its a huge mess and Im not even sure if the UMD drive works that I put in as I havent been able to fully test it since I cant see whats on the screen.  I know the PSP turns on because I heard the startup chime as well as saw the screen when the backlight worked for those 5 seconds.  Im really at a loss as I dont want to put more money in to it by buying a new board (as I saw them on ebay for $50-70)  I just wanted to get them in working order and sell them for about $80-100 each.  Also had a hell of a time trying to fit the yellow Hold switch over the power button and get it into the new housing.  Dont know what to do with this PSP now.

As far as PSP2 goes, Im waiting for the replacement UMD switch to come in the mail so I can solder that to the board, and I have already replaced the LCD screen and it works perfectly.  Just would need to take everything out and place it into the new housing (Red.)  Im just really discouraged at this point that things turned out the way I did and should probably just cut my losses. I ordered 2 umd drives, but the umd drive might work on PSP2, but I wont know until I put that new UMD switch onto the board.  I believe the mother boards in both PSPs are T 79's.

On a side note, I purchased a radiant red 3000 housing on eBay to put my slim 2000 psp into it.  I heard this was possible with a few slight modifications to get the parts to fit just right.  Is this true?  Is there a video for this or can someone point me in the right direction?  Any help/comments/advice would truely be appreciated.  Thanks again!   

EDIT* Sorry posted this by accident in the child boards.  Sorry!

Offline RUMBLE

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: 2 Phat PSP's repair/restoration. Advice requested please :)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:52:23 AM »
At this point you have a few options.  You could cut your losses and just sell the PSP's for parts, try to get at least one of the PSPs fixed using working parts from both of them, or get completely frustrated and throw everything out.  The last option is never that good actually as you can always find someone that will need your parts.   Next time instead of using superglue, try a hot glue gun.  Be careful you don't melt the plastic ribbon for the connector.  You can run into this problem if you try to solder it as well.  It is easier to remove that glue in case of problems.  The down side is the glue is heat sensitive so it may not work in the long run.  I used it on a broken PSP MB connector, the screen connector actually.  Once I was sure it was working correctly I used something more permanent to fasten it down.

As for the slim, some cases will work, some won't.  Find out if the case is supposed to be for the slim or not, and there is a difference as you know.  Do a search and see what you can find out about that particular case and any install issues you may have.  Good luck. 

Offline cusinnd

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • ZL Website
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:31:47 AM »
Sell all of the parts.

Offline nikegreat1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:33:57 AM »
I have the same question about the slim psps inside of a 3000 case.  I have not found anything on the web or youtube with how this mod can be performed.  Others are saying certain parts must be sanded down to make room in the 3000 case.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Im replacing a beat up piano black psp 2000, and id like to put it in a 3000 case.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal