Author Topic: 360 Anolog Pinout  (Read 1843 times)

Offline deadbolt

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
360 Anolog Pinout
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
Does anyone have a pinout for the analogs on the 360 wireless controller you could post? Ive got a nice little mod planned and Im in need of these pinouts :psp:

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: 360 Anolog Pinout
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »
the anologs work on potinimiters, just like the triggers, one for each axis. center pin is common, top pin/right pin are high, and bottom pin/left pin are low..did that help? let me know if you need more

when a high signal is applied to the center pin you move forward/right
when a low signal is applied, you move backwards/left

Offline deadbolt

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:01:33 AM »
Yeah thanks, that helps a bit. what Im intending to do is I need to split the analogs into four wire extensions, meaning I need a four wire extension coming off each analog to connect and control a four button setup(AXYB) or another type of analog on another controller or system

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
Just want to note that the logic is reversed from a Matrix board to a CG board.  The best way is to just check with a Voltage meter using the negative battery terminal as your reference.

I cant emphasize enough how important it is to be able to measure real values from whatever it is that your modding.  Most of the info you see on AM will be correct, but there is no substitution for testing things yourself.

When I talk to people about this very question, I tell them to go take measurements, and record the values of each pin in question in 5 states of the joystick: 
1. untouched
2. pressed up
3. pressed right
4. pressed down
5. pressed left
Obviously there are thousands of states for an analog joystick like up+left or up%20+right%52, but you should see a clear picture of what is happening when u take data and put it into a nice table and examine it.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:24 AM »
So you want to use your analog sticks to control digital buttons?  This mod is going to take some active signal conditioning in the form of comparators.  for one anolog stick to controll 4 digital inputs, there will need to be at least 4 comparators, one for each button.

Offline deadbolt

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »
Hmm, this sounds interesting. I dont have much knowledge on signal conditioning, could you possibly explain a little more how I might go about doing that?

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:36:27 AM »
ok, lets say that the trigger signals are an analog voltage 0-2V (just as example) when that axis it not being pressed the analog signal will be in the middle or that 2V.  so unpressed value would be ~1V.  If you press the stick in one direction that signal will then reside in the 0-1V range depending on how hard you press it. (0v being pressed the hardest and 1V being not pressed)  Now if you press that stick in the other direction your signal will reside in the 1-2V range (2v being pressed the hardest and 1V being not pressed)

So what a comparator does is compares a signal to an reference, and if that signal is above that reference, it will output a logic level opposite of what it was outputing when the signal was below that reference.  The design is not as cut and dry as simply putting 4 comparators, and I dont really have a clear idea of how to do it, but I know it could be done, just that it may be more work than its worth.(might need to come up with +/- 3-5V rails to do it right)

Another solution would be to use a Pic microcontoller that read the analog voltage and outputed the correct signal according to what analog voltage the micro was reading.

Comparators can be standalone devices specific to comparing or you can make em using op amps.  Best op amp book for learning IMO is "Timer, Op Amp, & Optoelectronic Circuits & Projects" by Forrest M. Mims III. ISBN: 0-945053-29-0 (that book covers 555 timers as well :boxed:)

Offline deadbolt

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
Thanks allot for your help, I'll look into all of that soon and see what i can come up with. Meanwhile I just found a mod that i may be able to do with the 360 analog. The only thing im unsure of is if the modified analog will still be able to maintain its ability to function as an analog aswell as controlling buttons.. :confused:

Here's the mod: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=14735

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
hahaha, I have felt your pain on that situation, as I have attempted to do a mod at one point where you need to isolate the analog signals from the stick because it would effect movement in the game, when I was looking for the stick to perform an altenate function.  I think I figured it out using mosfets at one point but it made for and expensive mod, so i abandoned it.

Quad Bilateral Switches are pretty common for controller mods, might want to try some of those. I havnt used em but they seem to popup everywhere, so it would be worth a try.

Offline xxDJBxx

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
pretty new to this myself but im wondering if this would work for comparators?

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/448132-i-comparator-prec-2-36v-sot23-5-mic6270ym5-tr.html

im trying to do the same mod, and more, quad analog 360 controller....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal