Author Topic: Snowscreen issue, Please Help!  (Read 2067 times)

Offline i32a45d

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Snowscreen issue, Please Help!
« on: August 27, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »
Everytime I start Halo 3, or any game for that matter, I get something like this:
Xbox 360 snowscreen issue, help!
I bought this xbox used and it was said to already have been reflowed in the CPU, GPU, and Hanna chips. It has a Zephyr motherboard and supposedly already suffered the RRoD before I bought it.

I already tried the x-clamp fix and it solved it only temporarily.(Like 3 days)
Has anyone else had this issue and is there any advice on how to fix it (other than sending it to Microsoft)
 :beg:

Offline phenoptix

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Phenoptix
Re: Snowscreen issue, Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:06:58 AM »
I would have thought it was more to do with your connectors. Have you tried it in another TV?

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »
This is exactly why I always tell people there is no permanent fix for RROD once your machine has gotten it, it will either get it again or fail in some other way.  Reflowing and Xclamp will extend the life of your console but they do nothing to address the reasons why RROD occurred in the first place.

Sorry hopefully its a bad cable or something, but the inevitable will happen if it didnt already, and you will need to get a new console.  Even if you reflow and xclamp it will keep happening and faster each time you "fix" it.  From your description it seems like there is a problem with ur HANA chip, and I suspect it is failing due to excessive heat rather then bad solder connections as i havent come across this symptom before.

When people talk about reflowing these boards all they are refering to is going over connections with a heatgun long enough to melt the solder and reflow.  What is bad about that is you are heating the connection through the chips and the chips are getting hotter then they were ever designed to be.  Real reflowing would take 100's of thousands of dollars in equipment and to my knowledge no one is doing it as its more expensive then a new console.

Sorry about your luck with this one, but that is why no one recommends buying a repaired console as it is only a matter of time before the "repair" wears off.

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
yeah the pixelated/shadowy screen is because theres a broken/bridged solder point under the (H)ANA chip. Ive had this exact thing happen to me. They only way to temp fix is either the penny trick, or a reflow

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline i32a45d

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »
Yes I've tried this on other tv's and with different cables; first HDMI, then the component AV cable. Even then, it still happens. The person I got it from said they reflowed the HANA chip, so that seems odd. So what's the "penny trick"?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
most likely what has happened like chives said, when the hana chip was reflowed,  the chip was probably over heated and damaged

Offline i32a45d

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »
The funny thing is that it comes and goes. Sometimes, it goes away upon start up, then comes back. Though now it's been rather continuous and hasn't gone away for quite some time.

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »
The funny thing is that it comes and goes. Sometimes, it goes away upon start up, then comes back. Though now it's been rather continuous and hasn't gone away for quite some time.
its because the HANA chip will work untill it gets hot and then fade into the snowscreen. Now that its gotten hot enough some of the points have more than likely broken contact and are causing it to appear more frequently and faster than it was earlier.

All Sigs Made by ME!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal