Author Topic: Raid 0 array Question?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline mp5cartman

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Raid 0 array Question?
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »
I have a ASUS g50vt and it has 2 hdd bays i was wondering if i made a raid 0 using 2 320GB 7200 rpm hdd's is worth it. I heard that it is dangerous because if 1 drive fails all ur work is gone but i dont care lol im gonna use it for gaming. SO does it really improve read and write speeds? Because i was planning on buying a 32GB SSD for booting windows so yea..

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Raining Blood! From A Lacerated Sky!
Re: Raid 0 array Question?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:14:40 AM »
RAID does increase speed dramatically.

Quote from: ≤Ʀαωгу≥
you know who i would bone? daffy duck

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Raid 0 array Question?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »
I have a ASUS g50vt and it has 2 hdd bays i was wondering if i made a raid 0 using 2 320GB 7200 rpm hdd's is worth it. I heard that it is dangerous because if 1 drive fails all ur work is gone but i dont care lol im gonna use it for gaming. SO does it really improve read and write speeds? Because i was planning on buying a 32GB SSD for booting windows so yea..

The dangers of RAID 0 are true; because you are essentially creating one disk out of 2 (or more), if the disk fails the data is spread across two separate disks and is usually unrecoverable. When you use RAID 0, you essentially double the chance that the disks will fail. All this means is that if you had a 1% chance of failure in, say, 5 years, you now have a close to 2% failure rate in 5 years. Nothing to worry about.

RAID does increase speed dramatically.

It depends on what you're doing. For system startup, virus scans, and lots of read/write applications there is a significant speedup. Somewhat ironically, gaming is not faster on a RAID 0 setup vs. non RAID 0. (but again, it depends on the application)
Kamelot Forever

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal