Author Topic: Which Spray Paint to Use?  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
Which Spray Paint to Use?
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »
Before anyone gets annoyed since this is probably a very common question, I've done my research and would just like to hear some opinions or facts if anyone could provide me with anything.  Would you suggest one of the following or could something I posted here get corrected?

Paint #1 (clear coat *required*)
Krylon Fusion Spray Paint for Plastic
Krylon Fusion Clear Coat for Plastic
(I don't know any matte clear coats for this)

Paint #2 (clear coat *optional*)
Dupli-Color High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Coating
Dupli-Color Acrylic Lacquer Clear

Paint #3 (clear coat *optional*)
Rust-Oleum Universal Advance Formula Spray Paint
(I don't know any gloss clear coats for this)

Any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline pigoesfar

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Which Spray Paint to Use?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »
Either the Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric or the Duplicolor Auto Spray. 
http://duplicolor.com/products/autospray.html

Make sure you are using the Adhesion Promoter
http://duplicolor.com/products/adhesion.html

As well as clear coat.  Use either the Acrylic Laquer.  NOT THE ENAMEL!  Use the Acrylic Laquer, or the Auto Spray clear coat.  Both work well.  If you have any more questions you can PM me.

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:26:21 PM »
I was hoping to avoid using the Adhesion Promoter by just cleaning and sanding the controller, and I heard the Vinyl and Fabric paint already contains some of it.

And regarding the Acrylic Laquer, I might use this, but to save money I might not, I'm not sure yet.
If I don't use it, the paint is still safe from smearing off/cracking/chipping, right?  (I'll give the controller 24 hours to dry)

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:10:28 AM »
Where I live I can't find the adhesive promoter so what I did was clean the controller, sand it and then clean it again and it worked just fine.

I used krylon paint for plastic, I have never used any other stuff but I heard it's better.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »
I've used Krylon Plastics, turns out ok...  not sure if the super glossy 'wet' look was the paint or the clear that I used... oh and don't judge the paint for my effects techniques (cracking and overspray) those were intentional

AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
Stores around me carry all 3 paint options, and they are pretty much the same price, so i might just go with dupli color vinyl and fabric, no clear coat for a while since I don't want to waste the money if I don't need to, and I'll use 600 water proof sandpaper.

And I'm guessing around 30 minurea inbetween each coat, and 24 hours until I use the controller, unless anyone has any objections.

Offline pigoesfar

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »
for the Duplicolor it is like 2 to 3 thin coats per color, 15min in between coats, and 24hrs between diff colors / applying or removing masks.  If you don't want to buy the huge can of acrylic laquer, you can buy the small bottle of clear coat that they make for the auto spray if you are using it instead.  I would recommend a clear coat definitely though.  Also, you will be surprised how fast those cans of auto spray run out...

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:07:59 PM »
pigoesfar, wow, thanks for that info. So...

Day 1 is cleaning/sanding and 2-3 yellow coats
Day 2 is applying masking tape and spraying 2-3 black coats
Day 3 is removing masking tape and applying 2-3 clear coats
And finally, Day 4 comes around and I can use it

And the small can is only 5 oz, so I'll just buy the acrylic lacquer, I'm sure one of my friends will want me to spray paint their controller so it wont go to waste.

Offline pigoesfar

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »
I guess I will make a tut unless there is one but when I wanted to paint my controller,https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,33977.msg256224.html#msg256224 and album, http://img37.imageshack.us/g/360controllerredtigerpa.jpg/, I spent about a week doing research and watching every tut video from My Custom Xbox and compiled a series of notes on painting. 
Basically, important things to remember are:
- Adhesion promoter
- I didn't sand the controller, just the shiny parts, but if you use fine sandpaper use it.  Don't go insane with the sanding.  Make sure you wear gloves (non latex/powder free) while doing all painting and washing.
- Use something like rubbing alcohol to clear first,then wash with dish soap in hot/warm water well and pat dry.
- follow directions - 2-3 coats and wait 2-3 min between coats.
   -light coats for first two, last one is a medium "wet" coat.
   - ~ 5 min to get paint on after adhesion promoter
-when putting on stickers, assemble controller (minus stuff) (shell) and put stickers on.
   - Then, either cut the mask overlaps at the seams and detach and paint separately or hand from wire and paint the thing as a whole (that's what I did).
- Remember to wait 24hrs between mask application and removal or any other color.
        - Remove the mask carefully and with and xacto knife.
- Don't scratch the paint or touch b/c you still have to clear coat it.
- Use gloves the entire time you are touching it.
- Wait 24hrs after last clear coat.  If it is still not good enough don't be afraid to give it 1-2 more clear coats.  Make the last coat even and a little "wet" but don't run it.
- After 24hrs you can TOUCH the controller.  Wait about 1-2 weeks before using it in game play.  The longer you wait and let it harden (sun can help) the better it will turn out.
There are some more minor things and things that apply to other types of paint but for now just remember these basic things.
If you have any more questions about cutting or applying masks or anything else, PM me.  I will eventually make a full tut if there isn't one already.
Hope this helps,
pigoesfar :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:32:12 PM by pigoesfar »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal