Author Topic: Ummm WTF?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Ummm WTF?
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »
I got this controller in my first batch of controllers I ordered from China, they are official and all came in the retail packaging.

I opened up a few of them to do ROL swaps etc.. and came across this one with a small bit of wire soldered to the LED across to another point.. WTF?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: Ummm WTF?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
That pcb is in terrible condition. Looks like a bit of corrosion or just plain crap on some of those parts...and there's crap everywhere on that board.
You SURE they're new? lol

I don't know the pinout of the PNC rechargeable battery, but that's wired as a battery indicator led...or what seems to be gnd.

Weird..

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »
Yer they are new ;).

But yer its covered in so much :censored: :/.

Its just really odd why its in there  :boxed:

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »
you are buying bulk referb/rejected controllers, not new.....the one in the picture is not new it has been in the hands of a noob modder who tore one of the led pads and hot wired it to make it work.

I started going down the bulk road long ago and learned that it was a waste of my time, out of 10 I usually got 3 complete working pads.

the white stuff is common. you will see it on 99% of microsoft controllers.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
yeah, the white stuff is common in a lot of electronics... I've actually seen it all over 360 mobos. first time I thought it was corrosion, but doesn't clean up like it...

I was thinking the same as matt about refurb controllers and a newbie modder, though my first thought was 'holy :censored: that's asking for a short circuit!', looks like bare copper wire soldered in there...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure they are brand new tbh, they came in the big plastic retail packaging sealed and they have the stickers on the controller, so im not sure how that wire got there, I removed it and everything still works fine.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »
you see the 4 pins, the wire is going to the one on the left (power) you see the way the solder is globed there, it was done by hand...see the other 4 pins, see how the solder is a different color, and they come to a point...this was done by a machine....these have been tampered with.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:52:52 AM by modded matt »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »
all the tell-tale signs matt points out are correct...

MS controllers (like most electronics nowadays) are made, packaged, and refurbished in China. if this is where they are made, packaged and refurbed, then it is entirely possible for them to refurb a used controller, put it in original retail packaging and pass it off as new. and if they make the controllers then they have all the seal stickers at their disposal. after all 99% of consumers will never disassemble the controller, so they would never know they were duped. if you hadn't opened this one would you have known it was tampered with? my guess is no. why do you think the place you bought it from was able to offer you such a low price? the same reason so many 'new official' controllers sold on places like ebay are cheaper than they would be if you bought them at a retail store...

besides isn't China known to be the largest center in the world for piracy, knock-offs, and rip-offs?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:15:17 AM by jrfhoutx »

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »
Huh. Mine don't have all of that crap on them..none of mine do.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »
not to that extream, but every microsoft controller I have opened has the white residue on it. We had this discussion once before. chives actually explained it very professionally, as he tends to do...

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 12:16:50 PM »
Well he was an electro mechanical engineer...

And I think but not sure but it's a grease used in manufacturing electronics sometimes I think electrical grease?
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »
regardless, that's a pretty nasty controller board, unless it was dirt cheap I'd be pretty pissed, lol

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:03:30 PM »
This may have been a repair job done on a malfunctioning new controller also. Not every controller works when it comes off the assembly line, so they quickly trouvleshoot and hand-repair if possible.

I have seen that white residue on tons of controllers. I believe it a by-product of wave-soldering.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:07 PM »
THis is a matrix motherboard so it makes alot more sense that it is refurbashed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal