Author Topic: M$ screws on heatsinks  (Read 1672 times)

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
M$ screws on heatsinks
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »
Since M$ has been aware of the RROD, they have removed there own xclamps and started using their own torx screws.   I'm trying to take out the motherboard but M$ has screwed the torx screws through the metal plate. I want to take out the motherboard but im scared that when i put it back on, its not going to be evenly screwed and will result in rrod.  The 360 has had rrod and was sent back to M$ for repairs.  any methods of knowing if its screwed down good enough compared to "not enough" or "Too much"?  thnx willy
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS   )                -1 GameCube
-1 PS2 (fa              -2 OG Gameboys
-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
Re: M$ screws on heatsinks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:33:24 PM »
if you really want to get technical, you could get a torque wrench and set it to a really low setting there for they would all be screwed in the same. That wrench is what they use on cars to tighten lug nuts and engine parts.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
do you think M$ screws have been calibrated right so that they just screw it once and its good? cuz i have done rrod fixes on my own and when you heat it up, the scews can be tightened down further than when u first did it.  i guess i gotta just try it out and find out. thnx for the quick reply
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »
Yea, when I do my red ring repairs, I don't really worry about getting them the same tightness because I don't think it would really cause much problems since the thermal paste will allways be between the processor and heat sink so as long as you have the paste spread evenly across it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:41:26 AM »
agreed with skull, however, not sure if you will find a small enough torque wrench. just open it up and use the AM RROD repair tut to put it back together, over heat and retighten. the biggest thing is not to tighten one side then the other, give it a few turns on each screw untill all are tight, if you do one side then the other, you have the chance of cracking the chip, and as you can imagine, that is bad

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
ill give it a go once i get back to school where all my tools are. thnx for the help
MY CONSOLE LIST:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal