Author Topic: Wifi Switch Broken  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Skyline969

• More of a software hacker....
  • Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Wifi Switch Broken
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »
I recently bought a PSP 1000 from a pawn shop, but didn't notice that the Wifi switch is completely busted. By that, I mean it just flips up and down loosely with no give, and it does not enable/disable the Wifi on my PSP. Is there some way I can permanently fix the Wifi switch so it's on, as I have no soldering skills, nor have I found a wifi switch for a 1000 on my usual sites I shop at. The only experience I have modifying my PSP is installing custom firmware (software-level stuff is easy for me), and taking the faceplate off. I noticed two holes in the PCB over the wifi switch, but could a person just put a pin in there and flip something to enable the wifi? Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Offline killdog

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Techn3t
Re: Wifi Switch Broken
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »
bridge the pins i cant remember which pins but im sure if u look around the forums a little bit u should find some.

Just a little tip not to be rude but Google and Search are ur best friends on the web for sure :)

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
bridge the 2 pins on the slide switch that are the closest 2gether, it will be on all the time. But you said you hve soldering skill so wat you could is just get some foil put it over the top of the 2 pins and tape it down but soldering will work way better

Offline Skyline969

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:52 PM »
I tried looking it up, but I could only find disassembly guides. Bad luck on my part I guess. =P
As for bridging pins, I have no soldering tools, nor do I know how to solder. I think I can see part of the switch inside through a hole in the PCB, but I don't know how I could possibly flip it.

EDIT: And the furthest I've been able to go is taking off my faceplate. I've never gone under my LCD screen before in fear of breaking it or a thin ribbon cable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:25:00 PM by Skyline969 »

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »
well if you find a tutorial on how to fully take apart ur psp, flip the mobo over and you will find the slide switch and the 2 pins im talking about, then u can just do it with foil like i said, just tape and foil is all you need. google search how to take it apart there are tons and tons of tutorials that show you.

edit:
heres a pic of the pins u need to bridge together in the red box:

here is zoomed (kinda crappy tho lol):
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:30:19 PM by lakrulez14 »

Offline Skyline969

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
Heh, broken links, lakrulez14. =P I'll take a look into diving deeper into taking apart my PSP once my tools arrive from DealExtreme.
EDIT: I'm just hoping that it's the outside switch that's broken itself, and not the internal switch... if that makes sense even. If not, then I guess I have no choice but to use tin foil and tape. Hopefully it sticks good enough.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:20:16 PM by Skyline969 »

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
haha sorry about that my school blocks photobucket and a bunch of different proxies, even acidmods proxy (im guessing someone else at my school knows about acidmods whoo lol) and i didnt have firefox so no foxyproxy so i tried to link it through my e-mail kinda figured it wouldnt work, but there up now so hope i helped =D

Offline Skyline969

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:10:58 AM »
Yup, I see them now. Thanks!
Oh, and to bypass proxies, some schools aren't thinking much - when you go to a website, change the http:// to https://. Works for me every time.

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:03:52 AM »
wow I never thought of that I will hve 2 give it a try 2day lol, well were you able 2 get ur wifi fixed?
oh and welcome 2 acidmods =D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:04:43 AM by lakrulez14 »

Offline Skyline969

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
wow I never thought of that I will hve 2 give it a try 2day lol, well were you able 2 get ur wifi fixed?
oh and welcome 2 acidmods =D
Haven't been able to get into opening it yet. I'm waiting for my new tools and faceplate to arrive from DealExtreme before I get to work, which'll be another week or two as they're in Hong Kong. I just wanted some background info and some research before I actually do it. That's what I do, every time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal