Author Topic: How to Fix a YLOD ps3  (Read 3123 times)

Offline sakobatoneko

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
How to Fix a YLOD ps3
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:26 PM »
Acidmods and I are NOT responsible for what ever happens to your ps3, do it at your own risk. If your ps3 is still under warranty dont do this send it to sony to get it fixed.

After looking for tutorials on youtube and on google i found a way to get the problem fix. To fix the YLOD you will need a heat gun, thermal paste, cpu paste remover and something like a credit card to spread the paste.

This tutorial will assume that you have taken apart the ps3 and all you have is the motherboard in front of you.

Part 1
Remove the old cpu paste from the cpu and gpu as well as on the heat sinks. You can use acetone to remove the paste or hyrdogen peroxide.  Once you have the cpu and gpu clean you can start part 2.

Part 2
Use picture ps3_32. Start the heat gun and let it warm up. After letting it warm up start heating up the places in red. Dont leave the heat gun on top of it, move it around in a clock wise motion. Make sure the gun is a inch on top of the IC's and that you only heat each area for 15 seconds. Once one side is done leave it for 15-20 mins to cool down(Do not move the board or touch the board while cooling down, you will move a resistor, making the ps3 not work anymore).

Part 3
Use picture ps3_33. Once the board has cooled down, turn it over to the other side. You will focus on the cpu, gpu, and the IC's on top of them. Make sure the heat gun has warmed up and start first with the first pair of IC's. After 15 seconds go down to the cpu and heat it up for 15 seconds, do the same on the other set of IC's and gpu. Once you heated it up you should not move it and leave it to cool down(Do not move the board or touch the board while cooling down, you will move a resistor, making the ps3 not work anymore).Once 15-20 minutes have passed take the cpu paste and put a line on the GPU and CPU, just like you how you see the blue line on the picture. Use your credit card or something that wont bend to spread out the cpu paste, you will need to make a thin coat. Once you did that put the ps3 together and hope for the best. If it doesn't work the first time try doing it again.

Acidmods and I are NOT responsible for what ever happens to your ps3, do it at your own risk. If your ps3 is still under warranty don't do this send it to sony to get it fixed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:00:16 PM by Slim Hacker »

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: How to Fix a YLOD ps3
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Acidmods and I are responsible for what ever happens to your ps3,

You might want to reword that.

-TwisT

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »
You might want to reword that.

-TwisT
I already re-worded it for him -Slim

Quote from: Jumbo
I herd you like stealing quotes ey?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »
thanks slim, just sent a message to tri about that, he was the only mod I saw online...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:05:23 PM »
sorry about that.  I didn't see the message. Normally it pops up saying I have a message but this time it didn't.

Great tut btw.

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
hehe for once i can say i beat tri to the edit :D lol, well i was just browsin saw it and was like...hold up that needs editing XD.

but yeah for future reference AM is NOT responsible for any damage to any console/body part/house/anything else caused by modding XD

Quote from: Jumbo
I herd you like stealing quotes ey?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
yeah it's been doing that to me too lately, idk why...

Nice pics in the tut
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline sakobatoneko

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 03:19:30 PM »
oh, thanks for the edit. I was in a rush needed to go sleep

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal