Author Topic: "Project Go" New Total PSP Mod (I NEED HELP GUYS!)  (Read 4244 times)

Offline MavJarro

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Gamer-4-Life
"Project Go" New Total PSP Mod (I NEED HELP GUYS!)
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:21:26 AM »
Hello everyone! let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Jarrod 'MavJarro' Lucero, a Graphics Designer/Webmaster for KKBS studios here in my hometown of Guymon, Oklahoma.  I'm attending OPSU to pursue my Graphics and Web Career.

Alrighty enough of that! Now here comes the good part. I have seen all the modifications on the PSP-1000, 2000, and 3000 models, and I want to take a crack at a PSP Go.

My PSP Currently:

I know, nothing too fancy, but what can I say? it's a work in progress!

And here is the *drum roll* POTENTIAL "Project Go"!!

Here is a tentative list of what I want to accomplish with the first round of PSP Modding:

*Sound Reactive LED Trigger Mod
*Sound Reactive "El Glow" Wire mod (back bumpers)
*Wireless Switch Mod (Take the function and make it strictly on/off for lights)
*Custom Candy Apple Red Body (Black Parts Only)
*Custom Metallic Black Body Outline (Silver Parts Only)
*Custom Laser Engraved Lettering (on back of the case, Wireless & Hold)

Here are a few images explaining a little further:

Here is where I would like to mount the chip, the only problem is i don't know if it will fit.

Alternate Mounting Point

More Alternate Mounting Points (Would like to steer clear of this option though)

El Glow Wire/Laser Engraving Idea

Explanation of Paint.

Here is a rough wire diagram of what I want to accomplish. a plastic piece will be installed in between the speaker pad and speaker, direct wired to the speaker leads for the installation of the chips.

Alrighty, here comes the questions...

I'm confused, What friggen chip do I need to accomplish this mod? I've read around the forums to use the SMD LM368, is this the smaller version of the chip?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062598#

I have researched, but I still don't have a solid answer on what resistors I should use and where they should be mounted. help?

Will Conductive Wire Glue/Paint work as a substitute for solder? (Particularly on the +/- pads of the speaker) here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Conductive-Wire-Glue-Paint-NO-Soldering-Iron-Gun-Solder_W0QQitemZ230448803023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a7d1accf

Also, any comments/direction would be super appreciated. I'm new to the scene, but I'm taking this VERY seriously. Thank you all in advance, this is a BADASS WEBSITE!

Edit:
If anyone wants to contact me, you can find me on:

Myspace IM: mavjarro
MSN/Email: mavjarro@gmail.com
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:25:21 AM by MavJarro »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: "Project Go" New Total PSP Mod (I NEED HELP GUYS!)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
ok first I am moving the topic to the psp go section.

second you have disassembled it without breaking anything, kudos for that.

next the "smd Lm386" I have never heard of. smd represents "surface mount" you may be able to find a smd version of the Lm 386 amplifier from a specialty store, but not at radio shack. 

as for the resistors, you are traveling in uncharted territory, normally on the input (output from speaker) you would use 30K on neg and 191K on positive, the 191k is not carried by radio shack. then resistors for your leds should be figured. this would be based on the general output of the chip, which is affected by supply voltage...still with me?? IDK where your going to power the chip from and don't know what voltage that will be, so a bit of testing should be done here.once you find your supply, use a resistor calculator to find the resistance needed to protect the leds. look in our tutorial section, under ?? pinouts and diagrams... ghost death has a diagram there somewhere. use the site search feature maybe...

as for conductive glue, its crap. I would advise against it. but if you are careful, I guess you could use it. but there is no real substitute for a good solder joint. while we are speaking as I have disassembled my go and looked briefly at the speakers, they use a direct contact connection (the circut is made by compressing the top and bottom halves of the lcd housing... if it was me, I would not disturb this area, but follow the trace back to the mobo to find the actual speaker out put on the mobo. that's just me.

I am glad you like the site, we are here to help you figure out how to do your mod, not tell you how to do it. that's your job, and where most of the fun is.

feel free to ask anymore questions as you go along.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:53:06 PM »
There is a surface mount version of the LM386, and you can buy it from this one website....but I don't remember the site. =/ sorry

Offline MavJarro

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Gamer-4-Life
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
Alright guys, sorry but this has been put off until further notice, i got an APC charge that i'm fighting tooth and nail for... i knew you couldn't be driving drunk, but i didn't know you couldn't drink, then chill in a car... bleh... :eyebrow:

Offline xLuCkyz-

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
dude good luck on using the el wire since you need an inverter for it and there pretty bigg

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
smd lm386 can be purchased at basically any good online electronics store eg.
http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=5361366
farnell ect.

Yes, getting the invertor for SR el wire into a go will be a pain, and how do you plan on making it SR?
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal