Author Topic: Water Damage  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Flux

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Water Damage
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »
Hi guys, I recently bought a psp fat from a friend of mine for 5 euros, very cheap I know.

The outside looks normal, no damage or anything like that. I can turn it on, run games, run homebrew, sound works.

The only problems are, the navigate pad(up, right, left, down) do not work very well. They need alot of push to get them to work, also they don't work at a few points. This also counts for the action pads(x, squar, triangle, circle).

Oh and the mouse on the psp(under the nagivate pad) also does not seem to work, when i try to navigate in the xmb with the mouse, it does not function at all.

The psp has had water over it apparently. Also the psp crashed once, but thats all. Oh and the battery runs out fast too my friend said.

Anyhow, what parts wil I need to replace to make the navigate pad and the action pad to work and what parts do I need to replace the mouse with?

Oh and just a sidenote, when I want to change my alias, the typ menu goes nuts, it constantly switches from capitals to other characters.

I was wondering if I could just take the psp apart and let it dry more(I dont know what good that would do if the water damage happened a while ago).

Thanks in advance!

Offline LaserShark

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSPFTW
Re: Water Damage
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
I think taking it completely apart and letting it dry would help.
The connectors that the ribbon cables go into could still be wet. On my fat whenever controls get buggy I just clean out those connectors (they're called ZIF connectors) and it goes back to normal.
The mouse (aka the analog nub) connects to the motherboard through a piece of rubber with conductive parts of it. The water may have ruined that.
I would suggest soldering the analog to the motherboard simply because it's much more reliable.

Offline Flux

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:44:17 AM »
I've managed to remove all screws but two of them located behind the psp battery, that is keeping me from removing the faceplate. ANy ideas on how to remove it ?

Oh i used a flat #0 screwdriver to remove the rest, but i cant seem to remove the other ones. I've already ordered this item , take a look:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5362

This will work i hope?

Any ideas besides waiting for the item to remove the remaining screws? Thanks in advance!

Offline LaserShark

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSPFTW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
Those screw drivers should work fine. In order to remove the faceplate you NEED to remove the four screws behind the battery. The top two are in plain sight, while the bottom two are hidden behind a sticker that when removed voids your warranty.
However, any psp phat's warranty has long since expired. So it really won't be a problem.
Lastly don't forget the lone screw on the bottom of the psp.

Check out kenshinffx's disassembly tutorial for detailed pics.
It can be found in the psp 1000 tutorial section

Offline Flux

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 06:04:32 AM »
Done and done. Had to break the last screw:p. Anyhow, I'm testing the buttons without the faceplate and only with the rubber thingy. It works better, but still not perfectly good.

Should I now let it dry on a heater or something? Or dissemble it even more and try to find the problem? Oh the right pad(action pad) seems to work perfectly now. Only the navigation pad doesn't want to work properly.

Any ideas?

Offline froggy

• SAN ANTO'S CUSTOM CHEVY'S
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Green Mexican
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:07:10 AM »
This happened to me, i just heated up with a hair dryer, and put it in a zip lock bag, and left it there for 3 days and it worked perfectly again
ITS TIME FOR IGNITION, AND STRAIGHT AUTOMOBILE PIMPIN!

Offline Flux

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
The buttonbar is functioning normal again! Maybe you're right about those connectors, when i receive the screwdrivers i will clean the other connecters too.

Wow a psp for 5 euros LOL!!!

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »
This happened to me, i just heated up with a hair dryer, and put it in a zip lock bag, and left it there for 3 days and it worked perfectly again

Hmm, why did you put it in a zip lock bag? Just curious haha.

Also, a #0 screwdriver isn't exactly the best size to be using - Typically I use #00 for PSPs, and sometimes even #000 for the two little screws at the top near the USB connector.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline Flux

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »
Ok, I finally received the screwdriver set, and IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Anyhow, These are the parts that are not working correctly:

The buttons do work, but fail often to work, so if I press left I either need to press hard or press multiple times to get it to work.(also counts for the other buttons, up , right, left and down.

Do I need to replace this part? If so where can I purchase a new one?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:30:56 AM by Flux »

Offline LaserShark

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSPFTW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »
have you cleaned the zif connector?
I would do that first.
Then if it still doesn't work you should buy a new part.
Because the part is basically one big ribbon cable I wouldn't by anything that isn't sony official (otherwise called OEM)
Non-OEM ribbon cables often don't work when bent they way you have to to fit them in the psp.
It's probably easiest to buy one off of a user here in the auction forums. But you can try and find OEM replacement parts on ebay.

Offline sarup123

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:51:16 AM »
you need 3 ribbon cables one for the navigation one for the []XO,triangle buttons i will make a tutiriol within 25 days (need a new screwdriver and its coming from Hong Kong)

Post Merge: April 09, 2010, 03:45:15 AM
in fact ill post it now
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:45:15 AM by sarup123 »
(+[   ]%)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal