Author Topic: Intel Processor Shortages  (Read 3076 times)

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
Intel Processor Shortages
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:53 PM »
Recent Reports have claimed that Intel is failing to meet the demand for its 'Arrandale' line of processors (some versions of i3 and i5).

Intel may be behind with rolling out their processors for up to three months, Yahoo! News reports.

This may also explain the lack of these processors in the recently updated 13-inch MacBook pro.

Intel said in a statement:

[size=9][/size]
We don't comment on speculation, what I can say is that we are pleased with the strong product demand for our laptop platforms.
[size=8][/size]

Do you think we may see Intel make a large loss? Will AMD take the crown? Or is it just bad management? Comment below to voice your opinion.

Sources:

Yahoo! News
Engadget
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:28:32 PM by HiddenVenom »

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Intel Processor Shortages
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:42:51 PM »
Production numbers of Core i3 and i5 processors have nothing to do with why the new 13'' Macbook Pros don't have them
Kamelot Forever

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
It's a possible. Not a definite.

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:34:52 AM »
It's a possible. Not a definite.

Uh, no. It's pretty definite that that is not the reason.

To put it simply, nVIDIA and Intel don't see eye-to-eye so, in order to prevent reduction of graphics capabilities in the 13'' MBP, Apple stuck with the Core 2 Duo and an improved integrated graphics chip. Shortages have nothing to do with the absence of a Core iX processor in the new 13'' MBPs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:35:33 AM by aquatsr »
Kamelot Forever

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
Apple's use of the Core 2 Duo in the 13" MacBook Pro (rather than the latest Core i3, and with no option to use other Arrandale processor upgrades) appears to have been an engineering decision made in response to realizing that Intel would not be able to deliver the new parts quickly enough.

I dunno, you're probably right... I'm just confused because several sources say one thing, and the others conflict... But then again apple isn't the most trustworthy when it comes to saying it straight and honest.

Post Merge: April 28, 2010, 11:17:20 AM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/23/intels_arrandale_chip_shortage_delays_custom_apple_macbook_pros.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:17:20 AM by HiddenVenom »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal