Author Topic: Future of Computers and Apple  (Read 1881 times)

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Future of Computers and Apple
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
Jobs Sees End of PC Era, Moves to Radically Change?
by, aquatsr

I read an article today that explains why all hell is breaking loose in Silicon Valley. As evidenced by the recent iPhone 4G leak, the tech industry is increasingly on-edge about their products and the future of what is increasingly mobile computing. The blogger Charlie Stross thinks he knows why Apple refuses Adobe Flash technology, why HP and Microsoft no longer get along, and why Google makes everyone a bit uneasy.

If I had to explain Stross' theory in one word, it's this: cloud.

That's right, Stross believes that Steve Jobs is betting the farm (quite literally) on the PC industry tanking and cloud computing taking over. Stross bases this on the fact that while computing power increases every year, most people who need a computer already have one and the prices drop even more drastically. The notion is that in as little as five years people will rely on mobile devices and access all their important information from servers in the cloud computing environment. It's the reason why people and companies see Google as such a major threat - since they will still be around when other tech companies fail. It's also why Jobs refuses to allow Flash onto any Apple devices, because while Flash is not a dying format; it is written for cross-platform solutions that will be obsolete in 5 years.

I don't agree with everything Jobs does, nor everything Stross says, but the article linked below is still an important read because it provides an impression of the computer and tech industry and where it is going in the future.

Sources:
antipope (original article)
slashdot
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:52:25 PM by aquatsr »
Kamelot Forever

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
Re: Future of Computers and Apple
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:18:53 PM »
this is exactly why people need to stop buying apple products...
great post by the way!
Derp.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal