Author Topic: LAG switch  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Thejld

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
LAG switch
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:44:32 PM »
Hey does anyone know any good tuts for lag switches? thx

Offline EasyE

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: LAG switch
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:33:46 AM »
Take a ethernet cable open it up in the middle and take the orange and green wire (i think it has been a long time)cut them and reveal the copper and connect them to a light switch. P.S. If the orange doesnt work try the brown.  hopefully this pointed you in the right direction.

Offline Kilokk

• In your AM modding your forums
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
  • In the shadows of darkness I stand in the light.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:32:18 AM »
so umm... what do you NEED this lag switch for?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:34:18 AM »
its not that simple. if you do it as discribed, you will just have a cut ethernet cord.

for the lag switch to work, you must have two routers one configured as a router, and in as a gateway. this is the only way it will work for COD.

Offline StoopidMunkee

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
actually the way i did it was i just cut the orange wire and added a switch and it worked like a charm

Offline Thejld

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
Thanks youall, so i basically stripped the orange wire and attached it to a light switch and walla! thanks

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
Be sure you are connection host before using this lag switch because you will get embarrassed when you get disconnected from xbox live.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »
wouldn't it be easier/better to make a lag button on the back of a wired controller? like the old modded controller button placement, just extend the orange or green wire along the controllers usb cord into the back of the controller. then just use some cable sleeving to keep it neat and tidy. i wish i still had an xbox now so i could try this.

Offline CRooKeD aNTLeR

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • NUT UP OR SHUT UP
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »
to put it on the xbox controller you run the risk of having a slow connection due to the fact that the longer the wire you have more OHM's (Resistance) you gain which can slow down the performance of your internet... they make wires that gain less OHM's over distance but thoose wires are pretty expensive. Hope this helped.

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 02:35:07 PM »
I don't think a few metres extra of wire will make a lot of difference, considering the line to you house could be over a mile long - and the distance to the server could be thousands of miles.

Offline CRooKeD aNTLeR

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • NUT UP OR SHUT UP
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »
yes, thats true. i was just stating my knowledge of basic wiring. The Internet Support Providers use Kick a** wires that are made spefically to gain little Ohms Over distance. this wire and the wire you picked up from the store can be VERY diffrent. in traditional wiring, you gain ohms as your distance of the wire increases. alothough you may gain 1 Ohm over 1 mile or longer even... my last post was incorrectly stated. it sounded like adding the extra couple feet would get mass amounts of ohms im sorry anout how that was worded.

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
No probs :) I knew that you meant better wire was needed, and as long as peeps don't use stupidly thick electrical cables then there should only be a slight difference in ping time anyway (not that it's ever that fast on the xbox lol PC FTW)

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
Just thought I would add. The resistance of a wire is not only dependent on the length, but the material of the wire, the cross section area, and the temperature. These are all highly important factors. (Btw that is not straight out the dictionary)
How about having like a guitar pedal as the lag switch, having to many cords running into my controller would be annoying.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:05:17 PM by GhoSt_Death »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline CRooKeD aNTLeR

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • NUT UP OR SHUT UP
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »
a guitar pedal would be tricky but if you're willing to take the time out to do that good for you. i was simply sheding some knowledge on wiring seeings how i am currently in my 2nd year of a electrical/ eletronics course.
And if i were you i'd just do the orange wire splice. its the easiest... i dont use lag switches, however ive made them for friends of mine. lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal