Author Topic: RROD and E74  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
RROD and E74
« on: October 21, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
I have seen they use a heat gun to re-flow the chips, I have used a 1875 watt blow drier, yet it worked for about 3 weeks did the x-clamp repair, heated it for about 4 to 5 minutes, got to about 186 degrees F.  Both sides of the board, total about 8 to 10 minutes.  The RROD I got fixed , just keep getting the E74 error on my other one.
 so what wattage heat gun and for how long ?
 Thanks again for your help. hope this helps others also.

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: RROD and E74
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 04:52:58 AM »
the e74 is coming from the hana chip, it donsnt have a heat sinc on it and is located bedhind the gpu, closer to the AV plug. blast the edges with your blow dryer.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
I will try that . I have a small heat sinc, that is about the same size as that and one thats slightly bigger. if i put some artic silver 5 thermal paste between it and hot glue to the board do you think that will work? aslo have some high heat two sided tape. also found out my fans are losing voiltage longer they run. One xbox the voltage is around 6.12 and the one with the E74 runs about 5.45 volts and decreases as it runs

Rodent consoles mods

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:25:02 AM »
the e74 is coming from the hana chip
Yup this is exactly what I found that the problem is with the (H)Ana chip. I got an xbox from a friend, had already been xclamp fixed, and was getting E74. Opened it up, located the chip, heated with a hair dryer on high for about 7 min, and it worked. Just make sure you heat the chip up long enough. I also modded my fans to run on 12v all the time. The box has been working for more than 5 months now.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:00:05 AM »
How did you make the fans run from 12volts all the time? i am sure i can figure that out, but since you have done it maybe you did it cheap and easily, i could add a molex connector like from a pc
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:02:38 AM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:42:54 AM »
How did you make the fans run from 12volts all the time? i am sure i can figure that out, but since you have done it maybe you did it cheap and easily, i could add a molex connector like from a pc
Oh no, much easier than that. All you do is strip away some insulation from a couple of wires on the dvd drive, one ground, one 12v, and then wire them up to the fan connector. It's the top two on the dvd drive connector. The left is ground. The right is 12v. Then you just wire them to the fan.

Offline aspin

• BANNED
  • Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:58:12 AM »
or you could use a variable resistor basically a volume control switch and increase or decrease the speed of the fans :)

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:17:42 AM »
Ok and the heat sinc, is it ok to put the therm a paste on the chip and hot glue it to the board or just glue it to the chip?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:18:13 AM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
Ok and the heat sinc, is it ok to put the therm a paste on the chip and hot glue it to the board or just glue it to the chip?
No you do not need a heatsink. I have not used one. The chip doesn't even get that hot. Just increase your fan's power if the E74 error comes up again after you blow it with a hairdryer. Also take into consideration Aspin's idea, a great idea if you don't want your fans blowing at full the whole time, or if the noise bothers you.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
Ok I am in the process of doing this now and will get back with you later with the results thanks . you all been real helpful.

Post Merge: October 24, 2010, 04:10:43 PM
Ok Finally  I think I have got it fixed the E74 error code on 1 of my xbox 360's, was busy the last couple of days so finally got it done today, heated the chip and then got an the E74 error code once again, so i put a 10k varable resistor in it mounted it to the top side of the xbox where the hdd sits , made hole so i can get a screw driver down in there to back it off or turn the fan speed up also brought the 12v from the board where the power cord is and connected it with a two prong connector works good so far. thanks for all your help it runs alot cooler now around 98 degrees instead of 130 to 140 degrees out the back of the xbox.

Post Merge: October 24, 2010, 08:16:33 PM
Well Thought it was fixed, the E74 error code haunts me, its back again, was signing on to xbox live acount and it shut down on me and when it  restarted the E74 error code was there again, i think my exbox is done for! thanks for all your help
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:16:33 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
UPDATE: FInally got my E74 error code resolved, had to reflux the gpu been running for about 5 hours now and still going strong  thanks all for your advise , thought i was doing something wrong. Now going to JTAG this one.. thanks again AM and users for your help!

Rodent consoles mods

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal