Author Topic: topics, wanted/needed  (Read 5869 times)

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
topics, wanted/needed
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
i thought we would need a section which people can request some information to be written, and we (Me and FOOkz ATM) are currently working on.

So i'm writing/trying to write:
555 timers
Pot Dividers
capacitors

and FOOKz is writing:
Resistors

we have:
Safety and Disclaimer
Tools
Ohm's Law
Logic Gates
NAND Logic
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:25:43 PM by frenulem »

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: topics, wanted/needed
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I think this would be an excellent addition to acidmods but it would become flooded by people who do not bother looking at topics that have already been posted.

So a clause should be added stating to use that section you must use the search function. However lets face it, most people will glance at the first page of something then post.

I still like the idea though.

-TwisT

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 04:22:02 PM »
yeah, but also it's just a way to keep people informed of what we are doing, it may take a while to do, my 2 logic ones took 3 days, but anything that isn't on there and people think should be are free to post

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »
yeah pretty much all topics which are official are stickied and will have a navigation bar at the bottom linking to related topics... where you can click next or back etc. I will be having more free time during mid april and i cant wait to get testing

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
I think it will be a good area to be able to link to when people ask questions in other sections of the forum, to help new people learn the basics and build a foundation on. I think a basic electronics section is sorely needed and will be very helpful.

I also think a basic hardware modding section will be useful as well, I've been putting together pics of basic tools for things like case modding (hand tools like files, coping saws, dremels and bits, sand papers, etc.) so if you guys would like I can work on something for that and add it in. I know we get a lot of questions about thing like this so I do think it would be helpful.

I also think that if we are goingto have a set of guts like this they should be locked and have a link at the end that leads to a thread specifically for questions in regards tothe specific tut, that way there isn't as much clutter...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/page,page3434.html

last link goes to fookz house, which is where frens list would go, jr ii think is more along the lines of actually modding the case, shell, or housing. which dsont really fit there. We will have to find somewhere else

btw, nice three month bump there fookz...lol Jk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:51:50 PM by modded matt »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
I agree what I'm talking about is in a different category than basic electronics knowledge and instruction, but then maybe the General section should be renamed or be split into two subgroups, general electronics and general modding... I mean the forum is called "general modding and electronics" how is necessary tools for case modding not part of general modding? and wouldn't things like painting be under general modding? I'm just saying if we're going to improve the tutorials section by adding general knowledge tuts calling it "general modding and electronics" may confuse someone looking for basic tuts on how to doe case mods or paint, they may look through this section and think "where are these tuts?"...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »
See this is the dilemma thats been killing me. Which way is best/easiest for people to have an open discussion on the tutorial yet keeping it as clean as possible.

Also shoving rich information in their face in 1 post answering as many questions as possible while keeping clutter free.

Formats I've been contemplating are having a list of topics and Ideas covered on the subject... several syllabus styles...

-First a 2 sentence brief description of what it actually is and then it redirects you to an in-depth section later in the post.

-Another format that looks visually appealing is a paragraph on 1 side and a picture on the other. Its easy to pick up when scrolling fast but its not effective if you want to get straight to the point. Then an open discussion

-Lastly for the users who would have the most patience theres an introduction, some useful tips and hints, videos etc all in a sequential order the easy way people can make connections in the article.

Some of this stuff is boring, some of this stuff is heavy reading, and some people don't like to sift through information to find common sense details.

I have some pictures and video content of example projects ready to post. like cutting plexi glass, soldering-desoldering, stripping wire, crimping cables, best safety practices stuff like that. any of it can be applied to any console mod from your PC to your PSP.

I agree that there should be split topics jr, i just read that while i was in the middle of typing this. (popup notification FTW). Cutting plexi glass has nothing to do with an astable-multivibrator 555 timer circuit.

any of the elect. tutorials may or may not have an advanced in depth part at the bottom with all the crazy lingo just in case somebody wanted to get an understanding what some of it means.

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:24:18 AM »
What we need tho is something that stops them going away with half the info because they got bored. Then they go around thnking resistors in parallel is the same as resistors in series

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:43:55 AM »
Alright. Imma do this~make 3 test formats in spam and chat... make a poll for people to vote.... just to see which one is best or easiest on the eye.

I thought about it a bit and the more a user enjoys looking at all the cool things on the article the more of a chance they will pick something up and learn. lets just see.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:16 AM »
I agree what I'm talking about is in a different category than basic electronics knowledge and instruction, but then maybe the General section should be renamed or be split into two subgroups, general electronics and general modding... I mean the forum is called "general modding and electronics" how is necessary tools for case modding not part of general modding? and wouldn't things like painting be under general modding? I'm just saying if we're going to improve the tutorials section by adding general knowledge tuts calling it "general modding and electronics" may confuse someone looking for basic tuts on how to doe case mods or paint, they may look through this section and think "where are these tuts?"...

dont get me wrong, the info your are speaking of is warranted, I was just stating I am not sure atm where to put it.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
What we need tho is something that stops them going away with half the info because they got bored. Then they go around thnking resistors in parallel is the same as resistors in series

then I would suggest you guys stick with simplified explanations of things at the beginning and then go more in depth towards the end. Like initially explain the very basics of resistors, then explain the very basic differences of resistors in series and parallel, then after a basic explanation in layman's terms that is easy for the average person to understand, go in depth and get technical.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal