Author Topic: New Rework rig  (Read 1687 times)

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
New Rework rig
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »
I picked up a new rework rig today, cause I just cant do the $15 RS specials anymore, not that I burn them up or anything, but they were driving me crazy and I really want a station with hot air. I researched a few options and decided there was no way I was dropping $600 on a Hakko setup just so I could have hot air and soldering in one unit; in the end I decided to go the Chinese Hakko clone route. After seeing both Sparkfun and Hack-a-Day using and recommending Aoyue products, I started looking at different models in my price range. After looking around, price shopping, and being really indecisive about the units on ebay (and whether or not I could return the unit if I'm not happy with it), I found that my local fry's carried this model for less than i would pay on ebay with shipping (and they have a fantastic return policy). I figure that if this unit turns out to not be so great, I can return it and for a little more money get a stand-alone Hakko iron and a stand-alone Aoyue hot air station. I really hope that this station turns out to be nice and work well, I'm not sure I have the space for separate units...

Anyway, I picked this unit because (well obviously because it's a combination unit) it's ESD safe, lead safe ;) , has the digital display and temperature management, with controls not only for iron temp and air temp, but also airflow/speed/pressure (whatever, I had heard that some units will just blow components off boards once the solder melts cause there is no control of airflow and I didn't want that), and this unit has a turbine air pump not a diaphragm pump (so smoother, more consistent airflow). Another selling point for me was the separate power controls for the iron and hot air, If all I'm using is the iron I don't need the hot air on and wasting energy and burning out the heater element.

I also picked up a fume extractor while I was at it. I figured it was time to stop depriving myself of oxygen with the inhale-hold-solder-exhale technique I've been using for so long... It's a little loud... like louder than a very loud 360... no noticeable increase in workspace noise, yeah, right... anyway I think I can put up with it if I can breathe a little easier...

This unit also included the soldering iron stand, 3 hot air nozzles, and an IC popper. Before anyone asks, the stand that the hot air nozzle is resting in is actually a reflector from an old telescope that was used for viewing solar eclipses (I believe that's what it was for, astronomy buffs please correct me if I am wrong).

I'll get back to you either tomorrow or in a few days (depending on if this thing is bad or good respectively) and let you guys know how it works out.

Anyone else ever used or owned an Aoyue unit or any of the other Chinese Hakko clones out there? (I think that KADA is one of the other clone manufacturers)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:08:18 PM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
Re: New Rework rig
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »
That looks like a real nice station. You got a 4141 nozzle? If not, you should definitely get one!!

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
Very nice station, Hope you like it.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:02:08 AM »
thanks guys. actually the nozzles it came with are: T1196, T1197, TBGA-M. Once I get a little better at using the hot air I'll probably buy a few more nozzles for it, till then I'm just going to practice on some old scrap PCBs...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
ok got a chance to check out the hot air gun, and it works pretty well :)

I just grabbed a couple old PCBs and started pulling components off just to see how well it works...
I set the temp to 400 (@ the recommendation of HaD) and bumped the air pressure up to 50 (starts at 40) and got to work...

This IC took about 5 seconds to pull off the board...

This board is from a mirror control circuit for a Benz...
Here is the board. you can see there aren't any burn marks on the board and everything came up really easily...

A little solder wick and some hot air... and the pads are nice and clean...

This is going to be a lot of fun... :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:26:59 PM by jrfhoutx »

Offline badboy711

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 02:38:45 AM »
thanks
คาสิโนออนไลน์    คาสิโนออนไลน์

Offline samble2011

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
 :clap: :clap:
บรรยากาศจริงกับการเล่น gclub ที่ไม่ต้องเสียเวลาในการเดินทางทำให้คุณได้ตื่นเต้นไปกับ gclub คาสิโน ออนไลน์ ของเรา

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal