Author Topic: Hello from Illinois!!!  (Read 1199 times)

Offline WannabePSPModder

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Beginner PSP Modder
Hello from Illinois!!!
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
Hello Everyone,

In the past week or so i've become obsessed with the idea of modding my 2 psp's. There both 1001's and as of right now have no hardware mods to speak of. I have opened them up and I know how to take them apart and put them back together. I'd like to mod my PSP's with the sound activated leds. So, the question is, how would I go about making that dream a reality? I have no soldering experience whatsoever but I am definitely willing to learn. Just let me know what I have to do to get that particular mod. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:16:48 PM by WannabePSPModder »

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
Re: Hello from Illinois!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »
hey there, welcome to acidmods.

If you are talking about sound reactive leds (not LCD's) then there are plenty or tutorials roaming around. Here is a good place to start https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/board,475.0.html
If you need tutorials look in the respective consoles board and there will be a tutorial area for that console, or just use the quick links on the home page https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/page,page3434.html
If you have any other questions feel free to ask, but make sure to search the forum for your answer first as most of the time someone else has also had the same question.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
right, First i would get a thing called "Strip Board" from radio shack, and while you'r there pick up a soldering iron and some solder, somebody else can tell you a good one over there cuz i live in the uk, then get double of everything you need, just in case things go wrong.

then you wanna brush up on your soldering, just do a few components onto the stripboard, get good at soldering.

Then look here links for LED mod in a min
if you have any trouble with your PSP go here!
And any in more general electronics go her!
Just to get the terminology correct or to make sure you understand look here!

Offline WannabePSPModder

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Beginner PSP Modder
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
Thanks guys, and sorry I didn't even realize I typed LCD's lol...

And yeah, I am looking at soldering stuff, what wattage should I get?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:16:04 PM by WannabePSPModder »

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »
Just a general forum tip, When you wanna add or change something to your post, click the little "Modify" button, change it using that, the post merge thing is ugly, i hate seeing it lol, hope you enjoy your stay here

Offline WannabePSPModder

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Beginner PSP Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »
Okay, Thanks!

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »
A pencil type soldering iron is what you want to get, a 25 watt iron is perfect for the PSP and readily available at Radio Shack. Get Rosin core solder as thin as you can and also get some flux paste. It's usually called paste, but looks more like a gel than paste. Practice all you can on scrap electronics and the strip board before you solder to your PSP since replacing PSP parts can get expensive if you mess up.

Read through the tutorial completely before you start so that you have a food idea of what you'll be doing. We also have general tutorials on how to solder that I would recommend using to learn the process of soldering.

Don't get discouraged when you first start learning to solder, just keep at it (we all started off in the same place you're in, so don't be afraid to ask for help or advice.

Most importantly, have fun! And welcome to AM!
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal