Author Topic: ModOff Entry 29448433 - Sexbox 360  (Read 18050 times)

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
ModOff Entry 29448433 - Sexbox 360
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:07:45 AM »

this is the Entry for Entrant 29448433

Email Admin@acidmods.com for any queries with the Subject Mod Off - ISSUE - 29448433
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:18:13 PM by Mactastic Mendez »

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
Re: ModOff Entry 29448433
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:13:16 PM »
Ok so my first update will be showing my xbox 360 halo 3 edition that I bought from a friend of mine so I could try and fix its RROD (and yes its striped down of all mods) so after I did fix that xbox it kept RRODing on me unless I had a fan on it at all times. So I got the new xbx 360 slim and kind of just let this one collect dust for awhile... until my friend recommended that I join this winter mod off. So without further ado here are some pics that are unboxing/prep for when more parts I have ordered come in.

I needed to extend the ports on the xbox so instead of de-soldering them from it I took an old broken 360 and used those

here are the ports

then I started soldering wires from the removed ports so I can solder them on the working 360 later when I get more parts so I can have exact measurements for wire length

oh and this account was created perfectly timing wise because I just got some parts in the mail today

still ordering parts so it may be a few days until the next update

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
may i ask why theres gum in the last picture lol

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:48:46 AM »
may i ask why theres gum in the last picture lol
lol just to show the size of the radiators

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:56:19 AM »
ya I no this first update isn't too exciting but the truth is the case I was going to buy yesterday sold out... yesterday but that's the way it usually works out for me lol so I do have a back up case if it doesn't come back into stock soon but until then I will probably just be getting random parts to install in the imaginary case lol

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:07:20 AM »
nice look is bad that your real pain went belly up but glad you have a backup.
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
Ok just bought the backup case and it should be here in around 3-5 days so I can finally get to work on the biggest part of this mod

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
Wow cool, there's 2 xbox 360s being liquid cooled for the mod off.

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »
Ok so I got the backup case today and sadly I had to use my crappy phone cam to take pictures because the iPhone that I have been taking pictures with wasn't available today

so again sorry for the crappy quality

here is the case

top view

unda the hood

just double checking that the xbox 360 mobo will fit no problem

plenty of room

this white inner case needs to go if I'm going to fit all the components inside the hood

three screws, no problem

after dremeling off a few things under the hood and sniping some wires that weren't needed I decided to prep the A/V out port for installation

couldn't fit the whole ID in that last one so here it is again

If you haven't figured it out by now I am doing a submerged xbox 360 (has only been done once before as far as I can tell and it wasn't done very well [lol there idea of a submerged xbox 360 is dropping a 360 mobo in a Rubbermaid box and calling it good])

I will most likely be calling this project the Sexbox 360, why? because I don't want it to be called the "Oil cooled xbox 360"... and because it will be filled with 5 gallons of lube lol

I do have some rough designs I made in paint but I don't really want to release them to the public just yet as I may have to change some things around, I will release them when this mod is finished

Will hopefully be getting more parts tomorrow and I can start dremeling out the case soon so things are moving along quite nicely

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
if you need any tips pm me. i did a similar pc

Mineral Oil Media Server PC

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:20:29 AM »
dude bit risky but if it comes off fair play can i ask what your going to do about evaporation etc etc

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »
evaporation???? he is cooling it by submerging it in oil.... i was thinking that someone should do this... I think that the heat would not cause the flow of the coolant to be enough to maintain a lower temperature. Please post a link to that aquarium when the mod-off is complete.

also, good luck!

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
ya mineral oil doesn't evaporate as quickly as water so that shouldn't be a problem for quite a while, and in response to [HoP] the 2 radiators should be more than sufficient to cool the oil, also I will be putting a bubble maker in the tank to keep the cool oil flowing right for the heat sinks and a few fans submerged as well just for extra oil flow.

thanks for the support guys I will be updating this later today with my progress

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »
I Don't know about the mod-off rules, and I have images disabled and did not read all the post... i was going to say that you would need to "remove the heat" and cause some flow of the fluid, but i see you have that under control. wasn't sure if we are allowed to suggest things to people (whether or not we are in the mod off) cause if it was a bad suggestion it could be considering "tampering" or whatnot...

I'm going back to work now.. ill check in here and there ^_^

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »
I Don't know about the mod-off rules, and I have images disabled and did not read all the post... i was going to say that you would need to "remove the heat" and cause some flow of the fluid, but i see you have that under control. wasn't sure if we are allowed to suggest things to people (whether or not we are in the mod off) cause if it was a bad suggestion it could be considering "tampering" or whatnot...

I'm going back to work now.. ill check in here and there ^_^

ading a fishtank bubbler like i did in my pc mod and leaving the heatcync on should provide all the cooling needed... (mine's on youtube mineral oil media server)

also it doesn't really evaporate... not that i've knoticed in 2 years anyway.  it does however make the caseing on the wires verry brittle so don't do work on it 2 weeks after it hits the oil as the wires have a tendency to break
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:01:08 PM by Bonz »

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:18 PM »
Ok so I got the power supply today

it was a perfect fit for the top hood of the tank and the perfect wattage for adapting to power a xbox 360

I ended up not putting the PSU in the hood mainly because it took up just a little too much space and I think it would put too much strain on the hinges. So instead I am going to submerge the psu along with everything else.

There was one small problem with the PSU and that was that the port needed to be in the back of the hood so I had to disassemble it.

then I had some trouble getting the port off so I cut around it

after that I dremeled out a spot for the port and fit it in

here is the outside

after that I just rewired the Ethernet port as the pins were riped off when i desolderd it

after that I had to stop to get a bunch of hw done but I will be dremeling out the back for the radiators fan speed knobs

and I will be wiring the ROL port hopefully tomorrow along with the knobs

The only reason I don't have the PSU soldered to the 360 mobo yet is I don't have the hook that will allow it to hang over the case so once that is ready I will work on the PSU.

I couldn't get as much done today as I would have liked but had to do the hw so I will hopefully be getting the dvd drive in place in the hood and the ROL this weekend along with more dremeling for ports but I'll keep you guys posted.

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »
ading a fishtank bubbler like i did in my pc mod and leaving the heatcync on should provide all the cooling needed... (mine's on youtube mineral oil media server)

also it doesn't really evaporate... not that i've knoticed in 2 years anyway.  it does however make the caseing on the wires verry brittle so don't do work on it 2 weeks after it hits the oil as the wires have a tendency to break

ok thanks for the tip

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
ok sorry I didn't update this weekend but I have had to get ready for the ACT next week (super fun) but I did order a bunch of new stuff for this mod so by the end of next week I should have everything I need beside the 5 gallons of mineral oil which I will get shortly after when I have more money.

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »
Ok ACT is finally over and I just got almost everything I ordered which means that I wont have to buy any more stuff beside last second stuff or stuff at a store :D

here is the 2 CCFLs I got, the tubing, and the pumps which were waaaay smaller than I expected but they should do the job as there water/oil pumps lol

after that I started working on the radiators because I really didn't want to dremel 2 spots on the hood for fan control so I made one that controls both the radiators fan speed

then I worked on getting the ROL ready

I made it so I had to cut it in sections, first a large section,

Then after doing all I could with the rotating blade...

I switched to the grinder, and it came out like this

I also got some paint from a friend today

so I tested it on a chunk of whats left of the faceplate to see if it would blend in with the hood of the fish tank well

after that I painted the ROL,

It matched pretty good idk if I will have to paint the hood too but well see,

and to top it all off I did a slightly horrible job at dremeling out the rest of the back ports (bondo to the rescue lol, looks like I will end up painting the hood)

I didnt install any of the stuff in the back yet because it would either have to be soldered to the mobo which I don't have the mount for that yet, or there would be wires hanging off it at all times which is a pain....

oh and I dremeled off the legs on the dvd drive so it would fit in the hood nice.... and thats about it for this huge update.

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 02:42:45 AM »
dude just looked and i got to say looking top quality just wondering how thick the visquisity of the mineral oil is as would it be hard for motors to pump round as ive seen it done with a fan looks great what colour are your light tube

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 04:53:28 AM »
dude just looked and i got to say looking top quality just wondering how thick the visquisity of the mineral oil is as would it be hard for motors to pump round as ive seen it done with a fan looks great what colour are your light tube

well if it isnt able to pump the oil I may get some stronger pumps or I might just put a few fans in the oil to keep it moving, I'm hoping its not to viscous but if it is then really the oil alone should be more than enough to keep the heat sinks cool the only difference is that after around 7-8 hrs with no cooling I will have to let it cool off on its own.

right now I'm just trying to work on making the back ports actually look good as that is one of my bad dremeling jobs but once that's done I'll work on the pumps, A/V port, Ethernet, usb, and the pwr supply.

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 06:47:15 AM »
id run them of a seperate supply too the xbox 360 as the more power the xbox is drawing the hotter it gets and the more it is prone to rrod really want too see this done even tho im in the mod off aswell aha

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
Re: ModOff Entry 29448433 - Sexbox 360
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
id run them of a seperate supply too the xbox 360 as the more power the xbox is drawing the hotter it gets and the more it is prone to rrod really want too see this done even tho im in the mod off aswell aha
this power supply has something like 230W so the 160W from the 360 should leave plenty for the CCFLs and the 2 pumps and some fans

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 11:37:11 AM »
in my opinion i would run it off a seperate supply just for safety but thats just me

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
in my opinion i would run it off a seperate supply just for safety but thats just me
lol ok I don't have an extra supply available so I couldn't anyway but thanks for the tip u have full rights to say I told you so if it rrods lol

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
hey dude i hope it doesnt great idea hope it comes off also try using diff 12 v spots on the mobo maybe that might help just dont wanna see all this effort then it mess up on you  !

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
lol you and me both and ok ill give it a try just need to get some acrylic cylinders that I can drill into so the mobo can be mounted to them then ill epoxy the cylinders to the back of the case, and it should give it a floating effect, but if I cant order them online or get them from home depot or something then ill just do the hook mount where it goes over the side of the tank

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
i think hook mount will be top quality

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »
ok  so I got the ROL done today (ended up taking off the outer plastic ring I had around the actual ROL because I would of had to do some major bondoing if I didn't

so heres the ROL button in the case

outside view..

here is my ghetto rigged support system for the ROL board so the button could be pressed

and here is the board fully installed in the tank hood

I should be getting the mounting piece sometime next week so after I can start soldering to the mobo and get this mod finished :D

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
i'm kinda wondering why your not decasing the powersuply and submerging it to?  the best reason for a mod like this is cooling and let's be honest the power supply gets HOT and could use some cooling

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal