Author Topic: Help needed with potentiometer  (Read 1404 times)

Offline munapie

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Help needed with potentiometer
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
Hey, if someone could help id greatly appreciate. My right potentiometer broke down so i replaced it with new one. but something is not working, movement to the left is slow, only about half of the max speed (tested with red D.R.) So is something wrong with soldering or did i broke something?

I know how my soldering looks like  :huh: but with my hands that's achievement  :#1:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:54:49 AM by munapie »

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
Re: Help needed with potentiometer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
I see at least 6 bad connections. Make the solder connections better and it may work fine. Also, did you tare the pad off of the middle top pin?

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »

sorry about the image, my photoshop on my net book has been giving me issues lately so i've tried to modify some stuff within it that is causing it to only allow me to save to web, and on the netbook the window is off the screen so i only can do gif at the moment...

on a note, i would start by re-soldering these connections, what wattage is your soldering iron? it looks like it is HELLA HOT (based on melted connector)

another thing to check, which i cant see based on the image is if any of the solder is grounding out. i would clean the joints after you are done to check for that (use a q-tip and some alcohol if you dont have anything better)

hope that helps

(not familiar with 360 controller much, so I'm not sure of the pin-outs based on the picture and location of chips)

Offline munapie

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Thanks for replys, yeah its a big industrial soldering iron our electrician uses it on factory maintenances :P  But ill try again tomorrow. Those two connectors in the corners are only the supports? And the one on the right is for another axis wich works fine, so i assume that the problem is the one on the top middle. Just hope anything isn't fried out or something  :dntknw:

Post Merge: February 17, 2011, 12:46:23 PM
I see at least 6 bad connections. Make the solder connections better and it may work fine. Also, did you tare the pad off of the middle top pin?
No all the pads are still there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:46:23 PM by munapie »

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »
was the right type of pot used? if a logarithmic pot was used instead of a linear one it may cause this perhaps? how noticeable is the difference?

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »
Thanks for replys, yeah its a big industrial soldering iron our electrician uses it on factory maintenances :P  But ill try again tomorrow. Those two connectors in the corners are only the supports? And the one on the right is for another axis wich works fine, so i assume that the problem is the one on the top middle. Just hope anything isn't fried out or something  :dntknw:

Post Merge: February 17, 2011, 12:46:23 PM
No all the pads are still there.

NOOOO!!!! YOU CANT USE THAT!!!! im suprised you didnt burn up the entire board itself. go to radioshack and get one of those. its like 7 dollars bro. Your :censored: crazy for using what you used.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal