Author Topic: Dual Harddrive  (Read 2706 times)

techninjadude

Dual Harddrive
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
I just saying if I can get some sort of adapter, I can put to xbox hardrives, and on my slim I put 2x 250gb hard drives.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Re: Dual Harddrive
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
as far as i'm aware there isnt an adapter specifically for 360 available atm, its not possible atm to use both drives at once but it would be easy to make your own switch to swap between the drives (you wouldnt be able to swap whilst the xbox is on though)

this would be really useful if you did a internal hdd mod but still wanted to be able to use standard xbox hdds

Offline bdogpot

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
hyper999 

well put and correct, there is no way to dual boot hdd. I got this one pre made switch box on ebay for a PC, that switch's the drives when it is off. It could easily be adapted to the 360. Plus having to turn off and boot with different drive really wouldn't take that long compared to a PC. However you could look into adapting a NAS server to the 360, I don't know if it possible. But with that approach you could have upwards of 6 to 10 terabytes even higher if you want it. Bad thing is a 2T HDD Seagate is around 100 to 150, So lets say the NAS costs 200 holds 3 3.5"HDD, so you could have to pay around 500 to 650. But the NAS is more versatile of an investment, it could be hooked up to your PC, laptop, itunes to stream music, and the list goes on. Hence the reason why I made the plunge and have loved everything that it has to offer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:26:52 AM by bdogpot »

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
sorry to brake it to you bdogp but the highest ms will allow a hdd to be is 250gb and it has to be an official ms one

techninjadude

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
I will get 2x 250gb hard drives and hack them into thinking there original. Then get a Y- Sata adapter Cable if it is real then, there will be 2 hard drives connected, but i wonder if there is some sort of ban and if it will both appear.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
@tech, are you telling us or asking us? if your telling us, I call BS. if your asking, the answer is: as hyper said, there is no adapter to do this, you would have to switch it manually while the system is off, you will never be able to access both. with the slim the hard drive is simple enough to swap. if you do what your saying, the xbox will throw one red light and give an error code of 1003.

@ bdog, your thinking is logical, but the MS firmware will only allow 250g max. without jtag. and jtag is not posible on slims at this time.

@ everyone, I am trying to decide what the point here would be? 250g is alot of space, if you need more than that, you must have thousands of songs and movies. if this is the case, set up the shared pc networking feature of the xbox, so you can host that media on your pc and stream it to your xbox. why the run around to half ass something that is already there anyway?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:49:47 PM by modded matt »

techninjadude

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
Thx Matt I dunno, I will write a Full Explanation Tomorrow, coz Im tired and I want to go Bed

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
You can't do it. Period. M$ has a protected section of the hard drive with a signature of sorts on it. This signature is size-specific; a 250gb one will only work on a 250gb drive, etc. There is NO signature key for anything higher than 250gb. If you hook both up, it will RRoD with a hard drive error like Matt said because it can't access a certified/allowed hard drive. You need to manually switch them, or else it will not work.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
here is a link to an example of a sata hdd switch http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2341666,00.asp

but unless one of the hdds has been internalised its just as easy to take the hdd out and put the other in...

techninjadude

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 03:00:30 AM »
OK you know the xbox 360 slim hard drive bay. There are 2 connectors, which I guess are the laptop type power and sata connector. I want to get a cable that is a extension, but if i can get this extension I will be able to wire the same cable from the base. To make it have 4 connectors, so in that case I can plug 2 250gb hacked hard drives. ( smart Idea ).

Then since the hard drive case is big enough ( hopefully, its optional anyway ) I will fit both of them but if I cant, no worries. I just want to know what will happen with the xbox system be able to handle it and display 2 hard drives connected. Or will it crash because something weird is going on. 

If you still don't under stand, Here is were the theory is from.

I bought this a few years ago:
http://www.shoppingkoo.com/products/303399/Hi-Speed-7-Port-USB-2-0-Hub-Power-AC-Adapter-for-PC.html

Yes it is a Usb multi port, all you do is plug in 1 usb to the computer and tudaa!!!, u have
8 extra usb ports thanks to this device. What about you do it on the xbox but with hard drives, and have multiple hard drives running, which are 2x 250gbs that are hacked and compatible with the xbox.

What do you think, here is the cable I need, but this one is from standard pcs, not from laptop.  http://www.lindy.co.uk/sata-extension-splitter-cable-combined-data-power-internal-0-3m/33440.html

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 04:50:32 AM »
no. it wnt work.and ausb hub has nothing to do with it. are you even reading the posts above?

WE UNDRSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING, WE ARE TELLING YOU NOT TO WASTE YOUR TIME IT WONT WORK.

techninjadude

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 05:51:30 AM »
Im taking the idea from it, but thx if it wont I wont bother attempting it.

Post Merge: February 28, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
I, Have a Awsome Idea!!!,
How about I get a 500gb, make two Partitions and hack both into 250gb xbox harddrives.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:49:53 AM by techninjadude »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:07:08 AM »
good luck with that

Offline cyberboy109

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +8/-4
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
It not gonna work whats so ever as xbox 360 OS is written to reconise only 1 hard drive up 250gb and obv the usb stick and memory card that was released, The only way you get 2 hardrives in a 360 if you had the power and the money to rewrite the os never mind the connectors.
So dont waste your money or your time its never gonna happen

techninjadude

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
What I think is that it will 100% work but apart from the system will crash if your saving data or you try to access it from the dash board. Thats what I recon, thats if its written in C++ since It known that it crashes if something that it cant deal with.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »
really this again?

IT WONT WORK.

how do i know? the sata interface simply does not support two harddrives splice together plugged in to one sata port, therefore when you turn the xbox on, it will try to initialise the HDD this will then fail because there are two hdds plugged into one port (which it does not support) and the xbox will stop and red ring.

END OF

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal